Author Topic: hornets fire sale?  (Read 5341 times)

hornets fire sale?
« on: February 11, 2009, 03:20:14 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
if the hornets are in financial trouble they may be looking to get rid of long term contracts.
both mo pete and julian wright are on the books for two more years.

suppose they take house and tony allen's expiring contracts for mo peterson. he's not getting much run in NO but would fit in nicely with us, a vet swingman to stabilize the bench and hit the occasional 3.
best of all he comes off the books before KG.

or the youngster julian wright for powe or davis and pruit. new orleans would only have pruits tiny contract after this season. we get a long athletic 3 to spell pierce and foul LBJ.

the more i think about the Mo pete deal the more i like it...

Re: hornets fire sale?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 03:21:57 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I'd rather they reverse time and not give Pose a fourth year they already reportedly regret. then we could have him on our bench.

(also, i hope eddie magicly resigned at the vet min in my time traveling scenario.)

Im hoping they buy out some of there bench players (like pete) but im not sure of thier contract situation at all.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 04:08:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
if the hornets are in financial trouble they may be looking to get rid of long term contracts.
both mo pete and julian wright are on the books for two more years.

suppose they take house and tony allen's expiring contracts for mo peterson. he's not getting much run in NO but would fit in nicely with us, a vet swingman to stabilize the bench and hit the occasional 3.
best of all he comes off the books before KG.

or the youngster julian wright for powe or davis and pruit. new orleans would only have pruits tiny contract after this season. we get a long athletic 3 to spell pierce and foul LBJ.

the more i think about the Mo pete deal the more i like it...

MoPete might be ok, but trading Davis or Powe for a wing will create a bigger hole than it fills.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 04:18:03 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Mo Pete's contract is a non-starter. Too much money and not enough talent, restricts too many options down the road (using the MLE).

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 11:17:28 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Since we're all dreaming here, I dream they buy out Posey.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 11:48:18 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Aaaaah.  I'll try to count Poseys in my sleep tonight.   :-\

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 11:54:08 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
You guys do know that the NOH has a horrible bench, so why would we trade for any of their bench warmers? A better trade would be with for Joe Smith

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 02:17:22 AM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166

I don't see how trading House and Allen for Mo would add any extra offense off the bench since when they are firing they ARE the bench offense. I just love House too much to see him get traded for someone who *may* prove useful.

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 08:25:01 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
If they are really in a fire sale, wouldn't it make more sense to go after Chandler or West.  Obviously Perkins would have to be any deal if we went for one of them, but I'm ok with that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 09:37:05 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

I don't see how trading House and Allen for Mo would add any extra offense off the bench since when they are firing they ARE the bench offense. I just love House too much to see him get traded for someone who *may* prove useful.

I also just love Eddie too much to see him go unless its in a deal that would nearly lock up a title.  Even still... I think we can win one with him so it would be tough to see him go
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 08:33:28 PM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
If they are really in a fire sale, wouldn't it make more sense to go after Chandler or West.  Obviously Perkins would have to be any deal if we went for one of them, but I'm ok with that.
Neither of the players you mention can take the place of Perk. Chandler comes closest because he is a shot blocker and plays under the basket, but he is nowhere near the defender that Perk is. Neither is West for that matter.

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 08:59:09 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
Not sure if this is even possible... but what if NO bought out Posey for the amount remaining on his contract this year, the Cs signed him for the season and then immediately gave him a deal for 3 years at the same rate we were offering before the season?

Obviously that would 100% never happen, but interesting to think 1) if it is possible with the CBA and 2) if Celtics and Posey would do it.

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 09:09:08 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Not sure if this is even possible... but what if NO bought out Posey for the amount remaining on his contract this year, the Cs signed him for the season and then immediately gave him a deal for 3 years at the same rate we were offering before the season?

Obviously that would 100% never happen, but interesting to think 1) if it is possible with the CBA and 2) if Celtics and Posey would do it.
The Celtics do not have enough room to sign him, we used a large portion of our MLE to sign House and Walker/Giddens.

Even then it is a pipe dream scenario. Posey wouldn't leave so much money on the table after just signing the deal.

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 01:02:27 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

David West is a very nice player.  But he's 6-9.  Who's going to play center then?  Certainly not West.  I'm not dumping Perkins just to dump him.  The Celtics need a backup big not a starter.  Perkins is at least average offensively and has turned into one of the better defensive centers in the NBA.  Despite his tendency to take bad fouls at times, he's still a solid starting C for us.  And that's hard to find in the NBA.