Author Topic: Will The Cavs Trade for Camby?  (Read 6731 times)

Will The Cavs Trade for Camby?
« on: February 05, 2009, 01:40:06 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I just heard an interview on Dale and Holley with Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated.  Mannix said he expects the Cavs to trade for Camby, using Wally's contract.

Thoughts?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

Re: Will The Cavs Trade for Camby?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 01:41:27 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Hmmm, I never thought of that one.  That would be very scary.  Camby would make them a MUCH better team IMO. 

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 01:44:16 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Scary indeed. But why would the Clips do it? He's not expensive or long-term. He's been a great soldier since coming there. What are they going to get out of it besides Wally? The 29th pick in the draft? Hickson? I suppose Wally, Hickson and a pick for Camby is conceivable.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 01:47:02 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I heard that too, but I also heard him say Mo Williams took over the weekend game in detroit in the 4th quarter when Lebron was sitting on the bench...yet it was actually boobie gibson who caught fire, not Mo williams

That being said, I dont think he has much credibility in what he said, sounds like hes just guessing and throwing a random possibility out there.

That...and do the cavs actually need help in the frontcourt? heck - wally has been impressive in his role this season and actually pushes them over the top in many games with his  scoring bursts off the bench...I dont see why that gets ignored
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:54:44 PM by TatteredOnMySleeve »
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 01:50:24 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I've heard that the Clips don't want to just give Camby away for any expiring contract.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 02:20:18 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'm really not looking forward to any Cleveland upgrades.  That trade would give them another dimension.  Kinda like having Ben Wallace in his prime.

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 02:29:02 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I'm really not looking forward to any Cleveland upgrades.  That trade would give them another dimension.  Kinda like having Ben Wallace in his prime.

Scarier than Wallace in his prime, since Camby is a decent offensive player, and can hit the midrange jumpshot.

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 03:25:25 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This would be devistating for the Cavs. Camby is one of the most underratted players in the game and has been for a while...When healthy (which is a long shot) Camby can provide 12 points 14 boards and 5 blocks a game (when playing at his best) with ease. Adding him to Cleveland would make them a very tough team to beat in the playoffs with a big man rotation of Big Ben, Camby, Z, and Varejo.

It makes sense for the Clippers. They got Camby for nothing essentially, trading his contract allows them to save room for next summer and still have Davis and Kaman.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 04:11:53 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I think the Clippers would want to get SOMETHING for their efforts other than just clearing out Camby from their books.  Camby's a pretty valuable asset, given that he's a helluva baller, not that expensive, and comes off the books before The Summer of 2010.  Doesn't look like the Clips have too many other really BAD contracts to try and unload; really, the only other players signed beyond this year are Kaman, Davis, and Randolph (other than the guys still on their rookie deals).  So, it's not like LA would be using this deal to really clean thier books other than giving away a year of Camby. 

So, what else might LA be looking for in compensation?  My first thought was that maybe they'd want Boobie Gibson, he's extraneous for Cleveland but he can play.  But, he's BYC so he's hard to deal.  Cleveland draft picks aren't that useful. 

Seems like LA could get SOMETHING of value for Camby, but I'm thinking they can get more that what Cleveland has to offer.

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 04:13:29 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
Why not bring the Cambyman to beantown? ;D
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 04:28:15 PM »

Offline Celtics1990

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 49
Why not bring the Cambyman to beantown? ;D
This years P.J Brown.
UBUNTU

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 06:41:15 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
yikes.

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 06:43:51 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I also heard over the radio a few days ago the Cavs were trying to make a deal with the Pistons for Rasheed Wallace.

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 07:11:30 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Scarier than Wallace in his prime, since Camby is a decent offensive player, and can hit the midrange jumpshot.

I'd take Wallace in his prime over Camby any day of the week. Camby's better on offense, worse on defense, nowhere near as intense.

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 07:53:35 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I heard the only players on LAC's untouchables list are Camby and Gordon
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 08:43:56 PM by IndeedProceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner