Author Topic: Objective thinking: Is Smart replaceable  (Read 6168 times)

Re: Objective thinking: Is Smart replaceable
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2017, 01:06:11 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
marcus is one of those guys that got drafted way higher than he should have. he was/is definitely a top 20 pick, but not a top 10 player in a draft imo. 

I believe if you're drafting in the top 10 you should be getting an all-star. Marcus is/was never going to be that, I've said from day one he'll never have the numbers to be. all the players coming out of college are projects of course but some are more of a project than others. for example look at the last few picks the suns have made, all those players are massive projects and i'd be willing to bet 2 of 3 will probably be complete busts or never sniff an All-star level, they'll likely never live up to their draft status. too many teams make this mistake.

Yes Marcus is a role player and he never should've been drafted that high. with all that said he is unique, he has the ability to influence the outcome of games and in the end the only stat that really matters is the W-L column.

so is he replaceable? it depends on the criteria, if you drafted him with the expectation of being an all star who averages 20 pts and 10 assists then he's a complete bust if that's the case and definitely replaceable. if you acknowledge that smart is unique and not you're average "role player" then he's not replaceable.

« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2017, 03:01:17 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
marcus is one of those guys that got drafted way higher than he should have. he was/is definitely a top 20 pick, but not a top 10 player in a draft imo. 

I believe if you're drafting in the top 10 you should be getting an all-star. Marcus is/was never going to be that, I've said from day one he'll never have the numbers to be. all the players coming out of college are projects of course but some are more of a project than others. for example look at the last few picks the suns have made, all those players are massive projects and i'd be willing to bet 2 of 3 will probably be complete busts or never sniff an All-star level, they'll likely never live up to their draft status. too many teams make this mistake.

Yes Marcus is a role player and he never should've been drafted that high. with all that said he is unique, he has the ability to influence the outcome of games and in the end the only stat that really matters is the W-L column.

so is he replaceable? it depends on the criteria, if you drafted him with the expectation of being an all star who averages 20 pts and 10 assists then he's a complete bust if that's the case and definitely replaceable. if you acknowledge that smart is unique and not you're average "role player" then he's not replaceable.
If you think top ten equals an all star then you’re not paying attention.  Marcus is on par with your typical #6 player in the draft unfortunately.

« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2017, 03:07:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

If you think top ten equals an all star then you’re not paying attention.  Marcus is on par with your typical #6 player in the draft unfortunately.
Yeah, he's a #6 level guy all day. Noel, WCS, Hield and the like are all on his level
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2017, 06:18:55 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

I never said drafting in the top 10 means you're automatically getting an all-star, "equals" never came into the discussion. I said if i'm drafting in the top 10 i'm not drafting a project, but you should be looking for an all star.

« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2017, 06:39:43 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Mike Bibby, Marcus Camby, Shane Battier are pretty good examples of "not your average role players" drafted at the top 6 draft.

« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2017, 06:41:20 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Yes Bruce Brown is the perfect replacement

« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2017, 06:48:44 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Rozier is answering this from time to time.  Though Marcus plays some really tough D.

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2017, 04:43:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Smart is going to be hard to replace

He has "kg" like intensity/leadership about him

If another team gives him 20 million per season...Danny doesnt match

There also could be a chance Danny does a sign and trade plus x for a nice player on a friendly contract in return

I predict also Danny drafts with one of the picks a Smart like replacement just in case just like he did with drafting Semi(Crowders replacement)

« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2017, 04:44:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Looking fwd to a matchup vs Jazz...

Smart vs Donovon Mitchell should be intense

« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2017, 04:45:51 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Of course he is.   

He's a role player.  You let guys like that walk rather than overpay.   It'd be tough to replace his defensive intensity but you still bite that bullet when it comes to $$$.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team