Around the League > Transaction Ideas and Rumors

No more sign + trade ideas with teams with cap space

(1/2) > >>

bobdelt:
I love speculation, but this drives me crazy. A team with cap space has little incentive to do a sign and trade with us, when they can just sign a player outright. It does happen, a handful of time ever, and you have to think, if Team B can sign player A outright, why are they giving Team A anything? Player B and whatever else Team A gets in return must be garage.

Fafnir:
It happens because the Player and his agent want it too, not because either of the teams truly benefits much.

Jon:

--- Quote from: Fafnir on June 14, 2010, 08:48:26 PM ---It happens because the Player and his agent want it too, not because either of the teams truly benefits much.

--- End quote ---

Or because the other team wants to dump some salary and the original team wants that player. 

Still, I agree.  Too much speculation of very unlikely scenarios.  Too early to be talking about this, but I don't see a lot of movement by the C's unless some major star elects to take a one year MLE (very unlikely).  Quite frankly, if TA and Nate come back, this 9 man rotation is going to be very tough to crack. 

BballTim:

--- Quote from: Jon on June 14, 2010, 09:34:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: Fafnir on June 14, 2010, 08:48:26 PM ---It happens because the Player and his agent want it too, not because either of the teams truly benefits much.

--- End quote ---

Or because the other team wants to dump some salary and the original team wants that player. 

--- End quote ---

Or to preserve the cap space they have in order to sign other players.

JSD:

--- Quote from: bobdelt on June 14, 2010, 08:46:06 PM ---I love speculation, but this drives me crazy. A team with cap space has little incentive to do a sign and trade with us, when they can just sign a player outright. It does happen, a handful of time ever, and you have to think, if Team B can sign player A outright, why are they giving Team A anything? Player B and whatever else Team A gets in return must be garage.

--- End quote ---

Welcome to the world of NBA forums  ;)

A team with a players Bird Rights can offer more money and years than other teams regardless of the cap. So even if a team is under, they can't max a player out (Annual increases for 6 years). For that reason S&T's involving teams under the cap are going to happen left and right this offseason. So I have no problem with threads/ideas on it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version