Author Topic: Celtics should trade for Bamba while price is low  (Read 9062 times)

Re: Celtics should trade for Bamba while price is low
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2019, 01:54:22 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
The only way this makes sense if its something like Langford + Memphis pick for Bamba.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2019, 01:55:44 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Ya I'm not sacrificing smart to get Bamba. If they want to do a deal based around some combination of guys like Waters/Langford/Edwards/Semi/Gwill and/or picks then throw in Kanter/Poirer for their center depth then sure. The Magic could actually really used some help at the 1-3 to balance out a front court heavy roster so maybe they'd think about it.

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2019, 01:57:44 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
They not trading Smart
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2019, 01:58:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The only way this makes sense if its something like Langford + Memphis pick for Bamba.
that makes no sense either.

Bamba's stock has taken a hit where he's having trouble getting playing time with the Magic.  no way Danny should consider giving up a prospect with a fairly high ceiling like Langford and a certain lottery pick from Memphis whether it be this year's draft or next.  Bamba's not moving the needle for us this year and is another project in need of development (if he can even develop).  I wouldn't give up either Langford or that pick for Bamba at this point. 

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2019, 02:02:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
How is trading Smart for Bamba getting Bamba while his price is low?

Yeah, I was thinking more like Kanter and a late 1st.

I mean, I guess the forgotten part about this deal is Fournier - he is putting up 20ppg on very good efficiency this season - but trading Smart for anybody except for guys like Luka, KAT, or Giannis (I am only exaggerating slightly) would have Cs fans storming the Garden fences.

Bamba potential is worth much more than Kanter and late 1st

Celts fans love Smart and Hayward and Tatum etc

But you cant keep them all. Its not just the money. There is a bottleneck
Why can't you keep all of them? Smart is signed for 2 more years after this. Tatum is going to get a big extension that has him on this team for the next 5-6 years. Brown is already signed long term. And Hayward is here through next year and could possibly be signed to a friendly deal thereafter.

The team got out of the repeater luxury tax situation, so reset any overwhelming luxury tax problems they might have for a couple to 3 years. This team is probably a contender in that time period so the owners will pay the future taxes, as they have in the past.

And, in the short time that everyone was healthy, this team looked dominant. So where is the bottleneck? Financially? That isn't going to be a problem for years. On the court? With the hierarchy established that the shooters will be Hayward, Kemba, Brown and Tatum on one level, Smart and Kanter on a lower tier and then everyone else well below that, everyone is getting fed, so no bottleneck there.

Not seeing what you are.

And as I said earlier, Bamba is redundant. The Celtics have three centers  they are trying to develop in Williams, Poirier and Tacko. No contending team 17 man roster can survive having 4-5 big men(if you include Grant Williams) on the roster that are all developmental projects.

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2019, 02:18:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I mean, I guess the forgotten part about this deal is Fournier - he is putting up 20ppg on very good efficiency this season - but trading Smart for anybody except for guys like Luka, KAT, or Giannis (I am only exaggerating slightly) would have Cs fans storming the Garden fences.

Why can't you keep all of them? Smart is signed for 2 more years after this. Tatum is going to get a big extension that has him on this team for the next 5-6 years. Brown is already signed long term. And Hayward is here through next year and could possibly be signed to a friendly deal thereafter.

The team got out of the repeater luxury tax situation, so reset any overwhelming luxury tax problems they might have for a couple to 3 years. This team is probably a contender in that time period so the owners will pay the future taxes, as they have in the past.

And, in the short time that everyone was healthy, this team looked dominant. So where is the bottleneck? Financially? That isn't going to be a problem for years. On the court? With the hierarchy established that the shooters will be Hayward, Kemba, Brown and Tatum on one level, Smart and Kanter on a lower tier and then everyone else well below that, everyone is getting fed, so no bottleneck there.

Not seeing what you are.

And as I said earlier, Bamba is redundant. The Celtics have three centers  they are trying to develop in Williams, Poirier and Tacko. No contending team 17 man roster can survive having 4-5 big men(if you include Grant Williams) on the roster that are all developmental projects.

-  Hayward likely declines his player option and seeks another max deal

- Kanter picks up his player option

- 130 million plus in payroll potentially tied up for next season

If Wyc is willing to pay the tax, thats fine. The main issue imo has more to do  with "excess" at the wing

At some point I think a trade is needed to alleviate the congestion and balance the roster (center)

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2019, 02:21:02 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

Not seeing what you are.

Yes - if anything, you need a glut of talented wings. That's the NBA now. It's a perimeter, swingman game. Plus when injuries pop up it sure is nice to still have guys who can score and defend. Right now in the league you just need mobile bodies at the big spots who can hustle, rebound, pass and dunk. We have those. Give me a bunch of talented wings all day. If this was our team, no Hayward, what happens if Tatum or Brown gets hurt? Having Hayward/Tatum/Brown/(Smart) is a huge, huge luxury that we would be wise to prolong.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2019, 02:26:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Not seeing what you are.

-  Hayward likely declines his player option and seeks another max deal

- Kanter picks up his player option

- 130 million plus in payroll potentially tied up for next season

If Wyc is willing to pay the tax, thats fine. The main issue imo has more to do  with "excess" at the wing

At some point I think a trade is needed to alleviate the congestion and balance the roster (center)
The luxury tax next year is projected at around $141 million. So who cares if their salary is at $130-140 million. It's under the tax.

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 02:48:22 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Why would we trade Smart for a center who hasn't proven to be a rotation player in the regular season let alone playoffs and an offense only SG who can be a FA?

Marcus is also our defacto backup PG, so that'd create a hole in that role as well as that of defensive stopper.

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2019, 02:50:40 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Khem Birch is a better player than Bamba right now. We really don't have the roster bandwith to develop two center prospects given how good the team is right now.

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2019, 03:02:55 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

No there isn't. CBS tries to keep 2 of his best 5 players on the floor at all times, and hasn't always been able to do that with Hayward hurt. Even when Hayward was healthy, all 5 were getting 30+ minutes/night.

And if anyone thinks Danny Ainge is trading Marcus Smart, they aren't paying attention. Ainge would burn the organization to the ground before he'd trade Smart.

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2019, 03:04:02 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Time Lord is better now and a better prospect.  I love seeing how much he has improved.  It's fun to see a player you're rooting for improve before your eyes.  No to Bamba.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 03:21:28 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2019, 03:08:02 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
so far the song " mo bamba " is better than the player mo bamba.

and thats not great for the player because the song - while it has its merits - is not really like a great all time song :)

so i would not do this trade

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2019, 03:16:54 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Little secret many Celtics fans ignore or don't want to admit is that Daniel Theis has outplayed many of the guys we've seen it proposed that we trade for.

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2019, 03:23:33 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
What is Robert Williams worth? Because Bamba is worth less than that. Look at their stat comparison so far this year.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Robert+Williams&player_id1_select=Robert+Williams&player_id1=williro04&y1=2020&player_id2_hint=Mohamed+Bamba&player_id2_select=Mohamed+Bamba&y2=2020&player_id2=bambamo01&idx=players

Williams with similar rebounding and points (on way better efficiency), more steals, similar blocks, way more assists, and way better offense and defensive ratings.

I'd say Williams is probably worth a mid-round to late round first.