Author Topic: Celtics should trade for Bamba while price is low  (Read 9070 times)

Celtics should trade for Bamba while price is low
« on: December 05, 2019, 11:00:25 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The kid has all the tools to be a good player in this league.   Not only does he have the physical tools but he can shoot the 3. 
To complete the trade below, Celts would also receive Fournier (player option for next season), who would function like Louis Williams does for the Clippers.  Instant offense off the bench. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ts6flor

Three way trade idea

To Spurs: Smart, Langford
To Magic: Derozan
To Celtics: Bamba, Fournier

Celtics roster after trade
Bamba
Tatum
Hayward
Brown
Walker

Off the Bench
Kanter/Theis/Robert Williams
Grant Williams
Fournier
Green
Waters

Danny recently stated that he made a mistake last season by not "doing something",  to alleviate the logjam at the wing position

IF Danny has ambitions to keep Hayward and Tatum (which is going to be expensive), he will need to start thinking ahead. 

Smart a fan favorite won't be easy to trade but the team can't keep everyone

Re: Celtics should trade for Bamba while price is low
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 11:04:21 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Bamba would have to improve greatly for this to make any sense, by trading Smart.  There would be mutiny for sure.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 11:06:01 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
That is not a low price.  And is Bamba and Time Lord both going to get enough minutes to develop?   

If the Celtics move Smart, it better be for a player that push them clearly into finals contending team and not a kick the can down the road hope they develop move.

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 11:10:08 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
At the expense of Smart?  Heck, no.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 11:10:37 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Bamba would have to improve greatly for this to make any sense, by trading Smart.  There would be mutiny for sure.

That is not a low price.  And is Bamba and Time Lord both going to get enough minutes to develop?   

If the Celtics move Smart, it better be for a player that push them clearly into finals contending team and not a kick the can down the road hope they develop move.

But here is the thing... There is no ample of KAT or Marvin Williams around in the league

There are the Chris Paul, Iguadalas hanging around...but what would be the point of trading Smart for them

The Celts also can't wait another season to find the ideal trade for Smart....because this could mean Hayward is a goner

So instead of letting Hayward walk next season, I would rather let Smart walk and take the risk on Bamba (another way to look at it)

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 11:14:42 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

But here is the thing... There is no ample of KAT or Marvin Williams around in the league

There are the Chris Paul, Iguadalas hanging around...but what would be the point of trading Smart for them

The Celts also can't wait another season to find the ideal trade for Smart....because this could mean Hayward is a goner

So instead of letting Hayward walk next season, I would rather let Smart walk and take the risk on Bamba (another way to look at it)

I don't worry about Hayward walking because of Smart's contract.   If he plays well, enough, they will try to resign Hayward to what they believe he is worth no matter the rest of the contracts.   

This team should not be weakening  themselves because of future contracts.

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 12:16:34 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I don't worry about Hayward walking because of Smart's contract.   If he plays well, enough, they will try to resign Hayward to what they believe he is worth no matter the rest of the contracts.   

This team should not be weakening  themselves because of future contracts.
Agreed.

poor quality trade for a poor quality reason.  If Bamba really did have the expected development anticipated in this proposal, the Magic wouldn't be trading him. 

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 12:36:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Isn't it enough that we have Williams, Poirier and Tacko to develop? Do we really need to trade the heart and soul of this team for yet another unproven project big man that does nothing to bring us any closer to a title anytime soon?

Also, at this point, is Bamba really any better a prospect than Langford? Just because Langford has been hurt doesn't mean he sucks or is a bust or doesn't have great value. All it means is the fandom haven't seen him play so don't know his real worth. If Danny really wanted Bamba he probably isn't offering anything more than Langford and maybe a future late first or second rounder.

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 12:45:06 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Bamba isn’t worth the chemistry issues that come along with trading Smart. I mean he’s still coming off the bench for the MAGIC for crying out loud. The whole at the big man spot will continue to be just that as there just isn’t anyone available.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 01:09:34 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I don't believe a Big-3 of Derozan, Gordon and Issac is elite.

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 01:17:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
How is trading Smart for Bamba getting Bamba while his price is low?

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 01:21:20 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

At this point, even if salaries matched, I'm not sure who wins a Williams for Bamba type deal. I think Grant Williams has already demonstrated a better ability to contribute to winning basketball than Bamba.

And they are the same age.

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 01:28:19 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yeah, I was thinking more like Kanter and a late 1st.

I mean, I guess the forgotten part about this deal is Fournier - he is putting up 20ppg on very good efficiency this season - but trading Smart for anybody except for guys like Luka, KAT, or Giannis (I am only exaggerating slightly) would have Cs fans storming the Garden fences.

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 01:38:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Yeah, I was thinking more like Kanter and a late 1st.

I mean, I guess the forgotten part about this deal is Fournier - he is putting up 20ppg on very good efficiency this season - but trading Smart for anybody except for guys like Luka, KAT, or Giannis (I am only exaggerating slightly) would have Cs fans storming the Garden fences.

Bamba potential is worth much more than Kanter and late 1st

Celts fans love Smart and Hayward and Tatum etc

But you cant keep them all. Its not just the money. There is a bottleneck

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 01:50:10 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Nerlens Noel the 2nd
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin