Author Topic: Trade idea for Markkanen?  (Read 5303 times)

Trade idea for Markkanen?
« on: December 03, 2019, 12:54:04 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Could we get Markkanen for Langford and a pick? These trades in this article are way worse that this....

https://dawindycity.com/2019/12/02/chicago-bulls-rumors-trade-packages-lauri-markkanen/

Re: Trade idea for Markkanen?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 01:00:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Could we get Markkanen for Langford and a pick? These trades in this article are way worse that this....

https://dawindycity.com/2019/12/02/chicago-bulls-rumors-trade-packages-lauri-markkanen/
so those 3 proposals involve a late first rounder and possibly a end of rotation player as well as Chicago having to kick in a second rounder but yet you want give them a solid first round prospect (his ability to stay on the court not withstanding) and a pick?  That's ridiculously overpaying for a player that won't move the needle for us at all based on his stunted development

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 01:02:40 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

It's shocking how bad those trade offers are.

I'd do langford, memphis pick, and one of Edwards or Ojeleye for him.

I don't think there is any way he is available, but he would be the perfect fit in Stevens system.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 01:02:41 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Why so we can complain that he’s soft? I was never a fan of Kelly Olynk and I feel like Markkanen would give me those flashbacks. He solves none of our issues, other than a scorer off the bench??

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 01:03:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

so those 3 proposals involve a late first rounder and possibly a end of rotation player as well as Chicago having to kick in a second rounder but yet you want give them a solid first round prospect (his ability to stay on the court not withstanding) and a pick?  That's ridiculously overpaying for a player that won't move the needle for us at all based on his stunted development

I think those trade proposals are real low ball offers. I think my offer was realistic and fair...

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 01:07:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Why so we can complain that he’s soft? I was never a fan of Kelly Olynk and I feel like Markkanen would give me those flashbacks. He solves none of our issues, other than a scorer off the bench??

Lauri's only 22. I think Kelly's rookie year he was 22.

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 01:19:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I very much doubt Chicago would trade Markkanen for Langford and a pick or any similar offer.

I get that he's struggling badly this year, but I'm sure they value him more than that.

With that said, why bother?  Is he so much better than, say, Meyers Leonard?  Or the aforementioned Kelly Olynyk?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 01:29:47 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Those offers are undervaluing Markannen. That's like saying we should have given away Jaylen when he was struggling early last season.

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 01:40:31 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Those offers are undervaluing Markannen. That's like saying we should have given away Jaylen when he was struggling early last season.

I agree. Those offers are crazy low ball ones. I was trying to put forth a realistic one if in fact Markkannen was available...

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 01:40:44 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Lauri's only 22. I think Kelly's rookie year he was 22.

I am unfamiliar with what's going on there, but he looked like a very interesting player last year.  Remember that Jaylen Brown had a similar awful start last year. I'd want to know more, but he might be a steal under the right circumstances. Markkanen has much more upside than Olynyk or Meyers Leonard.

It still bugs me we weren't able to get Wendell Carter in 2018.

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 01:58:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I think those trade proposals are real low ball offers. I think my offer was realistic and fair...
I disagree about it being fair for us.  it's an overpayment. 

I don't disagree that those deals seem like lowball offers but based on his productivity this year, I can see why --> the team picking him up will have to start making decisions on picking up his 4th year (if Chicago didn't already) as well as determining if he's worth a contract extension.  To me, I think Langford has more value since this is his rookie year and has shown some real ability when he's gotten on the court.  I wouldn't do the trade straight up nevermind the C's throwing in a first rounder to boot

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 02:04:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I disagree about it being fair for us.  it's an overpayment. 

I don't disagree that those deals seem like lowball offers but based on his productivity this year, I can see why --> the team picking him up will have to start making decisions on picking up his 4th year (if Chicago didn't already) as well as determining if he's worth a contract extension.  To me, I think Langford has more value since this is his rookie year and has shown some real ability when he's gotten on the court.  I wouldn't do the trade straight up nevermind the C's throwing in a first rounder to boot

Fair point. I also never said the trade would include a 1st rounder, just a pick... You'd be buying low on Markkenenen for a player who very well may not play this year. I didn't really like Markkenen coming out of school but he's a young big who can hit the 3. It could be that being in that mess in Chicago has hurt him as a player but he might be worth a shot if Chicago wants to cut ties.

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 02:19:37 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Lauri rarely stays healthy, is terrible at defense, and other than shooting and scoring, what does he really bring to the table? He's also not a good passer.

I would rather wait and see what happens with our young forwards, and see if they take a step forward.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 02:52:51 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I liked him coming out of college but I used to live in Finland so I have a bias.  If this is a bad year for him, he is still at about 14 pts/7 rebs on a bad team.  That is better than any of our bigs.  I have not seen him play all that much but I recall liking what I have seen.  I would offer Langford for him.  You would be trading player who is not going to help us anytime soon for a player who would help us now.  It would take more than Langford I would think.  Maybe Langford and the Milwaukee pick?

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 02:54:06 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

It's shocking how bad those trade offers are.

I'd do langford, memphis pick, and one of Edwards or Ojeleye for him.

I don't think there is any way he is available, but he would be the perfect fit in Stevens system.

You lost me when you added the Memphis pick. That should stay in Boston unless it's part of a deal for a top-drawer player. Lauri is somewhere between the middle and the bottom.