Author Topic: Jusuf Nurkic: trade target idea  (Read 3664 times)

Re: Jusuf Nurkic: trade target idea
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2019, 06:36:33 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Okay, first, he still isn't recovered from that horrific leg break and his return is expected in February after the All-Star break.....hopefully. Portland is being pretty vague.

Then you have to deal with him playing his way back to shape both physically and mentally. AND.....we know here in Boston that could take an entire season. The Celtics might not see consistent positive contributions from him until the end of next season. By that time, Robert Williams will be this team's starting center.

So the Celtics would have had to trade Theis, an excellent defender and great value at just $5 million a year, Kanter and most likely, a lottery pick, one that has a possibility, right now, of being a #1 pick in 2021 if Memphis sucks and the lottery gods are good(worst case, that pick is a late lotto selection) for a guy that might give us nothing this year and a year of struggles coming back from injury next year.

Yeah, Danny isn't doing this. No way.
I'm not as high on robert williams as everyone else, I don't see him becoming a quality starter. And I also don't think that memphis pick is going to be that high, late lotto.
Memphis isn't making the playoffs this year. And they probably aren't the worst team in the league. Memphis only keeps the pick if after the lottery they have a top 6 pick and are only guaranteed to keep the pick if they are the league's worst team in the regular season. If the pick conveys this year, it's a mid to late lotto pick.

For it not to be a late lotto or better in 2021, Memphis needs to be a playoff team. My guess is that isn't happening out West. Not that soon in a rebuild. Not in that stacked conference.

So your belief that the Memphis pick won't be as high as a late lotto or better is looking like a seriously bad bet. And because of that, this is not a good trade. Not close.

And yes, Timelord may not be a quality starter by next year, but he is this team's future at that position. Bank on that.
Memphis is guaranteed to keep the pick if they finish bottom 2 in the regular season.  Picks can drop 4 spots max. 

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 06:42:14 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
A big slow 5 doesn't fit with our team. IMO, he's a nice player, but ultimately wouldn't add much to what we are now.

Agreed and how many minutes has Nurkic even played in the last three years?

2016-17:  1391 minutes (Traded mid-season from DEN to POR)
2017-18:  2088 minutes
2018-19:  1975 minutes (injured at end of season, Mar 25)
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2019, 06:43:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Okay, first, he still isn't recovered from that horrific leg break and his return is expected in February after the All-Star break.....hopefully. Portland is being pretty vague.

Then you have to deal with him playing his way back to shape both physically and mentally. AND.....we know here in Boston that could take an entire season. The Celtics might not see consistent positive contributions from him until the end of next season. By that time, Robert Williams will be this team's starting center.

So the Celtics would have had to trade Theis, an excellent defender and great value at just $5 million a year, Kanter and most likely, a lottery pick, one that has a possibility, right now, of being a #1 pick in 2021 if Memphis sucks and the lottery gods are good(worst case, that pick is a late lotto selection) for a guy that might give us nothing this year and a year of struggles coming back from injury next year.

Yeah, Danny isn't doing this. No way.
I'm not as high on robert williams as everyone else, I don't see him becoming a quality starter. And I also don't think that memphis pick is going to be that high, late lotto.
Memphis isn't making the playoffs this year. And they probably aren't the worst team in the league. Memphis only keeps the pick if after the lottery they have a top 6 pick and are only guaranteed to keep the pick if they are the league's worst team in the regular season. If the pick conveys this year, it's a mid to late lotto pick.

For it not to be a late lotto or better in 2021, Memphis needs to be a playoff team. My guess is that isn't happening out West. Not that soon in a rebuild. Not in that stacked conference.

So your belief that the Memphis pick won't be as high as a late lotto or better is looking like a seriously bad bet. And because of that, this is not a good trade. Not close.

And yes, Timelord may not be a quality starter by next year, but he is this team's future at that position. Bank on that.
Memphis is guaranteed to keep the pick if they finish bottom 2 in the regular season.  Picks can drop 4 spots max.
Okay. Whatever. Top 2. Memphis isn't going to be one of the two worst teams in the league. The point is the same.