Author Topic: Rumor: The Magic have expressed interest in trading for DeRozan  (Read 7842 times)

Re: Rumor: The Magic have expressed interest in trading for DeRozan
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 06:50:15 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Any chance we expand the trade and the C's end up with Bamba or Isaac? :P
Nabbing Isaac would be awesome, he's been killing it this year

That was one of my picks in the "which young player will break out this season?" thread last month. 
 8)
Good call! His offence has, at least partially, caught up with his elite defence and length
He's getting a lot of hype for his length, but if you look at the actual numbers they aren't all that special. According to measurements prior to the draft, he's 6'10 w/o shoes with a 7'1 wingspan. I wouldn't call that elite length by any means.

You wanna talk about elite length? Now that's some elite length! 8)

(click on image to enlarge)

In a vacuum his length isn't jaw-dropping, but for a guy who can cover 3's and 4's comfortably, I think his length is pretty great.

Bamba, however, is inhuman. Mr Gadget-like arms.
Unfortunately for Bamba, he's playing backup to Vucevic. Not enough playing time to showcase his potential. The Magic gave Vuc a 4-year, 100 million contract last summer. Chances are that they plan to keep Vuc going forward.

The Celtics have no legit starting-caliber C. I bet we would have a use for a prospect like Bamba. Perhaps we could work something out here.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 07:11:01 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 06:54:52 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

That was one of my picks in the "which young player will break out this season?" thread last month. 
 8)
Good call! His offence has, at least partially, caught up with his elite defence and length
He's getting a lot of hype for his length, but if you look at the actual numbers they aren't all that special. According to measurements prior to the draft, he's 6'10 w/o shoes with a 7'1 wingspan. I wouldn't call that elite length by any means.

In a vacuum his length isn't jaw-dropping, but for a guy who can cover 3's and 4's comfortably, I think his length is pretty great.

Unfortunately for Bamba, he's playing backup to Vucevic. Not enough playing time to showcase his potential. The Magic gave Vuc a 4-year, 100 million contract last summer. Chances are that they plan to keep Vuc going forward.

The Celtics have no starting caliber C. We would definitely have a use for a prospect like Bamba. Perhaps we could work something out here.

It is more likely that the Celtics already have a starting caliber center than it is Bamba will become one any time soon.

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2019, 07:02:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

8)

The Celtics have no starting caliber C. We would definitely have a use for a prospect like Bamba. Perhaps we could work something out here.

It is more likely that the Celtics already have a starting caliber center than it is Bamba will become one any time soon.
Bamba obviously has more length, but... https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_select=Mohamed+Bamba&y1=2020&player_id1=bambamo01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Robert+Williams&player_id2_select=Robert+Williams&y2=2020&player_id2=williro04&idx=players
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2019, 07:03:28 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

8)

Fair enough. Thing is, Bamba has the potential to become a Rudy Gobert type of player. Unlike Gobert, he's even trying to extend his range shooting 2.1 threes per game in just 13.1 minutes of playing time. I see no Center in our current roster having the potential to become an all-NBA player (like Gobert is right now).

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2019, 02:43:52 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
I can't see much more than Fournier, Augustin, and a 1st being offered
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2019, 04:31:34 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

That's the deal that is sitting there for sure. I wonder if Birch, Bamba, or Aminu could be included instead of Augustine though.

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2019, 05:36:56 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547

That's the deal that is sitting there for sure. I wonder if Birch, Bamba, or Aminu could be included instead of Augustine though.
Birch doesn't make enough and can't be traded until mid-January.  Aminu can't be traded for like 4 weeks, but I don't see why his 3 year contract for more money this year is better than Augustin's expiring.  Now Bamba is interesting, though maybe the Spurs don't get the 1st if they get someone like Bamba. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2019, 04:47:18 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Just read on Realgm that DeRozan has deleted all his Spurs related social media posts and Dejounte Murray has unfollowed the Spurs.

The rumor is that its a 2 for 2 swap. Evan Fournier and Aaron Gordon for DeRozan and Murray. If true, I like the trade for both teams.

There is not a more Spurs like player in the league than Fournier and Gordon needed a change of scenery after Isaac's ascendance. Gordon injects some much needed athleticism into the frontcourt.

DeRozan provides the Magic with the legit wing scorer that they have been missing for years and Murray can be Orlando's Marcus Smart if Fultz can find a second life to his career. The magic can trot out one of the longest lineups in the league with Fultz-Murray-Derozan-Issac-Bamba.

Again this is all speculation at this point but makes a lot of sense if true.

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2019, 07:07:52 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Just read on Realgm that DeRozan has deleted all his Spurs related social media posts and Dejounte Murray has unfollowed the Spurs.

The rumor is that its a 2 for 2 swap. Evan Fournier and Aaron Gordon for DeRozan and Murray. If true, I like the trade for both teams.

There is not a more Spurs like player in the league than Fournier and Gordon needed a change of scenery after Isaac's ascendance. Gordon injects some much needed athleticism into the frontcourt.

DeRozan provides the Magic with the legit wing scorer that they have been missing for years and Murray can be Orlando's Marcus Smart if Fultz can find a second life to his career. The magic can trot out one of the longest lineups in the league with Fultz-Murray-Derozan-Issac-Bamba.

Again this is all speculation at this point but makes a lot of sense if true.

Just looked at who Murray follows on Twitter and he still follows the Spurs there.

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2019, 08:28:30 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Spurs really don't make mid season moves, though this season is unprecedented for them in how bad its looking.

I'm skeptical they'd change things up drastically until later on when their fate is truly sealed as far as the playoffs go.

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2019, 08:40:10 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

8)

Fair enough. Thing is, Bamba has the potential to become a Rudy Gobert type of player. Unlike Gobert, he's even trying to extend his range shooting 2.1 threes per game in just 13.1 minutes of playing time. I see no Center in our current roster having the potential to become an all-NBA player (like Gobert is right now).

Yeah but we don't need an all-nba caliber center.  We have all-nba caliber or all-defense caliber players at 1-4 and our 6th man.  We just need a center who can play a role.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2019, 09:27:28 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

8)

Yeah but we don't need an all-nba caliber center.  We have all-nba caliber or all-defense caliber players at 1-4 and our 6th man.  We just need a center who can play a role.

True.

Even Willie Cauley-Stein is good enough for the Cs right now.

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2019, 09:31:50 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Is WCS any better than Kanter/Theis/Williams?

Anyways warriors aren't trading anyone due to their hard cap situation, they are weathering the storm till they can upgrade their two-way players!

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2019, 10:32:36 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Is WCS any better than Kanter/Theis/Williams?

Anyways warriors aren't trading anyone due to their hard cap situation, they are weathering the storm till they can upgrade their two-way players!
There’s no point in WCS. You have Williams. WCS is not that good tbh.  Rather give the mins and see what you have have.

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2019, 02:01:23 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983