Author Topic: NBA 2K12  (Read 31877 times)

NBA 2K12
« on: September 07, 2011, 07:11:47 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
I thought I'd start this thread for other NBA video game junkies to preview 2K12 and talk about the new features:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHnCZsD9txU
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: NBA 2K12
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 07:47:19 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
The last two seasons I've ended up buying the game and lending it to a friend to never get the game back. This season I plan to actually play the game for more than two months. I heard they were tweaking the controls a bit is their any truth to this?

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 09:07:35 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Isn't Bird going to be in this one, that makes it something I would consider.

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 10:34:04 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Let me know if it's good, I personally thought 2k11 sucked.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 11:31:58 PM »

Offline DKClassic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 177
My Player mode still needs some tweaks...but I'll be buying again regardless.

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 08:02:13 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Bird (and the whole '86 team, except for Walton for some reason) was in the last game, too.

In 2k12, they will have career challenges for Bird like the ones they had for MJ in 2k11.

From what I have read, that's the only reason (aside from new rookies) to buy 2k12 if you already have 2k11. 

Unless I hear about some really fantastic changes being made to My Player or Association Mode, I probably won't be buying it.

My Player mode really needs to be made more realistic while also being less of a grind (building a player up from 40 overall rating by getting 1000 pts a game is very tedious).  Association Mode really suffers from wacky simulation results, head scratching computer trades (though better than the past), and incredible rating inflation after a few seasons with auto-generated rookies.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 08:15:54 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
This came out yesterday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDEyePvEw0I

The controls look to be ridiculously smoothe

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 06:03:21 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164

Bird (and the whole '86 team, except for Walton for some reason) was in the last game, too.

In 2k12, they will have career challenges for Bird like the ones they had for MJ in 2k11.

From what I have read, that's the only reason (aside from new rookies) to buy 2k12 if you already have 2k11. 

Unless I hear about some really fantastic changes being made to My Player or Association Mode, I probably won't be buying it.

My Player mode really needs to be made more realistic while also being less of a grind (building a player up from 40 overall rating by getting 1000 pts a game is very tedious).  Association Mode really suffers from wacky simulation results, head scratching computer trades (though better than the past), and incredible rating inflation after a few seasons with auto-generated rookies.

You only play 1 game b4 the draft and all players start in the low 60's from the jump in 2k12.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 06:06:24 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
Let me know if it's good, I personally thought 2k11 sucked.

I have been playing 2k since Sega Dreamcast and they continue to get better 2k11 was great in my book but it did take some things away from 2k10 that made it great.  But overall I liked 2k111 more than 10.  2k12 looks promising by adding those classic teams alone.

Playing GOAT Mr Russell in black & white presentation = sold game to me.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 06:10:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 06:33:41 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 06:53:27 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Gameplay footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTPBCWheCXo&feature=player_embedded

Only major difference, as usual, is the announcing.

100% disagree with the statement above

The 2k series is really good about improving their game year in and year out, and are consistently making changes to the game play. Year in and year out they make a lot of changes that greatly improve the quality of the game.

From the game footage looks like they put in a lot of work into the defensive AI, particularly w/ help defense on the pick and roll.

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 07:00:58 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Gameplay footage:

Only major difference, as usual, is the announcing.

100% disagree with the statement above

The 2k series is really good about improving their game year in and year out, and are consistently making changes to the game play. Year in and year out they make a lot of changes that greatly improve the quality of the game.

From the game footage looks like they put in a lot of work into the defensive AI, particularly w/ help defense on the pick and roll.

Meh, I don't see that much of a difference, though admittedly it's hard to tell without "feeling" how the game plays at both ends.  The 2k series does make significant changes between games, but the base gameplay doesn't actually change very much -- it's mostly visual / presentation changes and adding rookies.  

The only major change in the past few years was the major ratings shift between 2k9 and 2k10 (and the addition of My Player -- though in 2k10 it wasn't very good).  The big thing with 2k11 was the MJ stuff.

When they make fundamental changes like getting rid of the slip-n-slide magnet effects on defense and eliminating basic AI mistakes (like players missing shots because they use completely unnecessary and overly difficult lay-up / hookshot animations), I'll feel that the game got an overhaul worthy of $55.  

The most important thing to me would be making Association mode more realistic, especially if you auto-generate rookies (the ratings inflation over multiple association years with 2k11 is ridiculous). 

It would be great if they made the difficulty settings better / more fair, too.  In all the 2k games so far, when you up difficulty setting the only noticeable change is that the computer starts making more tough shots and your players start missing more -- at times, it feels like the game has decided that the opponent will go on a 10-0 run and there's nothing you can do about it.  That sucks.

With regards to pick and roll defense, certainly if they improve defender AI a bit so the help defender doesn't totally leave the roller wide open by overcompensating on the ball handler, that would be a nice change (although it'd fix one of the easiest ways to score against the computer). 

Bottom line, it would be really nice to feel like the computer -- both the opponent and computer-controlled teammates -- can be very good at defending without "cheating" (e.g. intercepting / tipping passes without even facing the ball).

One thing I'd love to see is for the computer to have a greater diversity of play styles.  Regardless of the team I'm playing, the computer seems to play a very similar style and always runs the same key plays -- especially one particular screen play which almost always burns the AI defender but is incredibly easy to defend if you're controlling the off-ball defender.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 07:08:29 PM by PosImpos »

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 07:19:14 PM »

Offline Las Vegas Asian

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
Gameplay footage:

Pretty cool...looks like they got the Celtic's gameplay accurate. Strikingly similar to how they were playing down the stretch last year. I was even getting frustrated watching Rondo being so passive!

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 08:04:44 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Gameplay footage:

Pretty cool...looks like they got the Celtic's gameplay accurate. Strikingly similar to how they were playing down the stretch last year. I was even getting frustrated watching Rondo being so passive!

Almost too realistic. Celtics still can't rebound :(  haha, but Pierce's shot looks MUCH better this year, and less like a 2nd handed flat footed girls shot like 2k11
Can't stop, Rondo!