Author Topic: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread  (Read 113913 times)

Re: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread
« Reply #285 on: January 30, 2018, 11:52:12 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Are you comparing the German Basketball league 20 years ago to current Euroleague and the Spanish league  !?!?!?!?!?!?!? !?!??! ?

Now you know how I feel when people compare other leagues to the NBA...Yes, there are guys who can play in the NBA but most of them do not cut it.

I see your point, but two wrongs don't make one right. Moreover, Nowitzki won his title in the Second Bundesliga. It is understandable that many ppl get confused on this point, but the Second Bundesliga is nothing like Bundesliga proper.

Small correction ... not Second Bundesliga.... The south division of the 2nd Bundesliga
And although today the German League is pretty good  the level is much lower than Liga ACB and Euroleague. 20 years ago the first german division was much weaker !

Dirk is a future Hall of famer and Doncic should be happy to even get All NBA considerations but PRE DRAFT Dirk wasn't anywhere close to the level Doncic is

As someone who helped steer this thread off track into a Dirk vs. Doncic prospect war, I'll try to do my part to get things back on track- to those who have been following Doncic this year, has he kept up the dominance from the first part of the season, or leveled off a bit?

Leveled off a little bit, hit a valley at the end of December, but has picked it back up a bit of late.   He's averaging 17/5/5 for the season on 47/35/85 shooting splits.  One underrated aspect of his game is that he gets to the line a lot, averaging nearly 6 free throw attempts per game, shooting the aforementioned 85% on them.  One undermentioned flaw in his game is his propensity for turnovers.

« Reply #286 on: February 04, 2018, 02:04:11 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
For those who wish to see Doncic in the states, his game vs. CSKA Moscow (top team in Euroleague) is currently airing on NBA TV (2/4, 2-3:30 pm)

« Reply #287 on: February 09, 2018, 10:31:24 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
https://twitter.com/cfmairlot/status/962052651776016384

The shot you can't keep from watching.
He reminds me of... :laugh:
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #288 on: May 07, 2018, 03:12:17 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
Phoenix GM, after hiring Kokoškov, about the draft.

It’s been suggested that having Kokoskov on board means the Suns will bypass Arizona center Deandre Ayton if they get the No. 1 pick and take Doncic instead. That makes some sense in that Kokoskov knows Doncic, and Doncic would be a perfect fit alongside Booker for the wide-open offense Kokoskov wants to run. McDonough, however, said that’s not necessarily the case.

“It’s an easy assumption to make, but we’re going to draft whoever we think the best player is,” McDonough said. “If we do get the Number 1 pick, Doncic will certainly be in that mix. But Ayton and a few other guys will, as well.” – via Arizona Republic

Yeah, right. Very convincing - not.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 03:22:29 AM by Androslav »

« Reply #289 on: May 10, 2018, 01:10:12 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
First carrier triple double for Doncic...
17p 10as 10re (6/6ft 1/1 2p 3/3 3p) in 22mins

« Reply #290 on: May 17, 2018, 01:53:16 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
ESPN just reported that Doncic is “unsure” of wanting to play in the NBA next season....

Wondering if the 3 terrible teams/boring cities sitting atop the draft order affected his decision.

Atlanta can be cool, but as a dude from Europe, maybe he isn’t seeing the appeal of living and playing in a small market city?

Makes me also wonder if he’s seeing how that Sacramento pick pans out next season? If it lands number 1 he plays with Philly, which would be a great landing spot for him from a basketballl perspective. If Boston gets in the top 3, there is a chance he falls there.

Just speculating, after missing out on our 2.3% chance to get him this summer.

« Reply #291 on: May 17, 2018, 01:56:10 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
ESPN just reported that Doncic is “unsure” of wanting to play in the NBA next season....

Wondering if the 3 terrible teams/boring cities sitting atop the draft order affected his decision.

Atlanta can be cool, but as a dude from Europe, maybe he isn’t seeing the appeal of living and playing in a small market city?

Makes me also wonder if he’s seeing how that Sacramento pick pans out next season? If it lands number 1 he plays with Philly, which would be a great landing spot for him from a basketballl perspective. If Boston gets in the top 3, there is a chance he falls there.

tp

That's big  news
Read this on a draft board
"Sources are telling me coach Igor told him management is leaning toward Ayton and that this is a move to not go to the Kings"

completely understandable. Kings  had IT, Cousins, and Whiteside on the same roster.

« Reply #292 on: May 17, 2018, 02:03:43 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

tp

That's big  news
Read this on a draft board
"Sources are telling me coach Igor told him management is leaning toward Ayton and that this is a move to not go to the Kings"
IMO, he wants a guarantee he will go no.1. This is smart power move by his camp. Saying also perhaps "We don't want Sacramento". Luka is "big" enough to pick his spot to some extent. I would love him to stay in the Europe and give us another chance of drafting him.

« Reply #293 on: May 17, 2018, 02:15:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He can't force the Suns to take him, he's trying to avoid going to the Kings that's all. We will see how it plays out. I imagine the Kings/Magic will both try and woo his agent and the various machinations will progress from there.

It'd potentially be good if he waits till next year for the C's just to make that draft class that much deeper when we have a potential high pick. But I imagine in the end he'll come over and get started on his NBA career.

« Reply #294 on: May 17, 2018, 02:17:47 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
I'm not sure what this conversation is about.

Dirk is now a HoFer and Doncic might never become one.

But back at when he was drafted, Dirk went number 9 (and was projected even lower than that) at a draft with weak selections at the top. At age 20.

At age 18, Doncic is in the conversation to go first in a top-heavy draft and he was the second best player of a the team that won Eurobasket.
One pick ahead of our very own Paul Pierce!

#6 and #15 all time in scoring picked back to back 9th and 10th!

« Reply #295 on: May 17, 2018, 02:18:31 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
He can't force the Suns to take him, he's trying to avoid going to the Kings that's all. We will see how it plays out. I imagine the Kings/Magic will both try and woo his agent and the various machinations will progress from there.

It'd potentially be good if he waits till next year for the C's just to make that draft class that much deeper when we have a potential high pick. But I imagine in the end he'll come over and get started on his NBA career.
Hopefully he's able to avoid the Kings. He is probably giong to have the biggest immediate impact.

« Reply #296 on: May 17, 2018, 02:20:36 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
If he stays for next year, I hope someone tells him next year when our pick conveys that we aren't the kings lol

« Reply #297 on: May 17, 2018, 02:21:32 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Hopefully he's able to avoid the Kings. He is probably giong to have the biggest immediate impact.

The Kings would have to improve a lot just to stink.

« Reply #298 on: May 17, 2018, 02:25:24 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
This is also great news for our chances at getting the SAC 2019 pick in a higher spot, IMO.

Doncic out of any prospects besides Ayton has the most NBA Ready type of transferable talent to make an immediate impact. Sacramento would still be a lotto team no doubt, but a player like Doncic could take a 20-25 win team like SAC is looking like and turn them in to a 28-35 win team, if his game translates immediately.

« Reply #299 on: May 17, 2018, 02:25:53 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
The implication in a CBS article, though, was that he's just prepping for the EuroLeague title and doesn't want to look like he's already got a foot out the door.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-draft-2018-top-3-prospect-luka-doncic-still-undecided-about-leaving-euroleague-after-season/

Mike