Author Topic: 2017 Free Agency Rumors/Signings Thread  (Read 160681 times)

Re: 2017 Free Agency Rumors/Signings Thread
« Reply #615 on: July 19, 2017, 01:02:29 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #616 on: July 19, 2017, 01:16:54 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Idk why anyone would buy the rockets ... Cp3 and Harden do not work well. And if Melo comes, you now have cp3 and harden standing around watching Melo brick shots. This team got worse and more expensive to run

Do you have any evidence of that, or is it just conjecture? Until we see them play, we can't tell if they fit together or not. You may not think that they'll fit, but until we actually see ithem it's just your opinion, not fact.

Personally, I'd take the team with 2 top 15 players over the team with just one

Great players usually find a way to coexist.  People were saying the same thing about the Heat with their old big 3.  It makes it easier on them sharing the load.

Also see Melo in the Olympics.  He can fit in with other great players.  Lastly both Melo and and Paul are at an age where it's better for them to take more of a backseat.
Yeah like westbrook, harden, and KD? oh wait they won 0 championships and made the finals like once and got destroyed. Sorry but having 3 ball stompers doesn't work. Cp3 and harden both LEAD the league in ball possession time

« Reply #617 on: July 19, 2017, 01:25:02 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #618 on: July 19, 2017, 07:27:27 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Rondo's contract details

Sources: Free agent Rajon Rondo has signed his one-year deal with New Orleans for $3.3M.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/887795893356814336

« Reply #619 on: July 19, 2017, 07:33:16 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
https://mobile.twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/887484575001325568

doc on paul s departure

Ouch! Doc with an uncharacteristic direct shot at CP3! He must be very bitter about Paul walking out on them.

« Reply #620 on: July 19, 2017, 07:42:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

doc on paul s departure

Ouch! Doc with an uncharacteristic direct shot at CP3! He must be very bitter about Paul walking out on them.

Doc is the one who developed Rondo into a ball dominant PG. He forced his way to LA, where CP3 was already established. It seems like Doc is just deflecting blame here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #621 on: July 19, 2017, 07:51:10 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

doc on paul s departure

Doc is the one who developed Rondo into a ball dominant PG. He forced his way to LA, where CP3 was already established. It seems like Doc is just deflecting blame here.

Exactly. I'm surprised, because Doc is usually the most politically correct coach or GM in the league.

« Reply #622 on: July 19, 2017, 08:24:11 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

doc on paul s departure

Exactly. I'm surprised, because Doc is usually the most politically correct coach or GM in the league.

The entire quote actually isn't that bad:
We’ll have ball movement, you know. That’s one of the things, for the most part, that I’ve always preached. With Chris’ skill, you wanted to take advantage of what he could do, and he was a guy that needed the ball to make plays. And he did it so well, you kind of changed to do that.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #623 on: July 20, 2017, 11:28:56 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
http://twitter.com/Tom_NBA/status/888056611729702913

Rose close to signing a one year deal with the Cavs.

Not sure how I feel about this, since Rose is surely a better backup than Calderon, but talk about a fall from grace, huh? In 5-6 years he's going to go from league MVP to what amounts to be a bet minimum guy. Crazy how much injuries have affected his career.

« Reply #624 on: July 20, 2017, 11:32:59 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Not sure how I feel about this, since Rose is surely a better backup than Calderon, but talk about a fall from grace, huh? In 5-6 years he's going to go from league MVP to what amounts to be a bet minimum guy. Crazy how much injuries have affected his career.

He's better than Derron Williams was for them last season, but not by much. He's also another ball dominant player with a poor jumper. Not what that team needs

« Reply #625 on: July 20, 2017, 11:34:22 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I can tell you how I feel about that...not happy. We were all laughing about the Jeff Green and Calderon signings, but Rose is still a decent player - maybe not an all-star, but a more than capable back-up. I believe the same goes for Jeff Green.

And here we are signing Shane Larkin. Ughh.

« Reply #626 on: July 20, 2017, 11:34:25 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Idk why anyone would buy the rockets ... Cp3 and Harden do not work well. And if Melo comes, you now have cp3 and harden standing around watching Melo brick shots. This team got worse and more expensive to run

Do you have any evidence of that, or is it just conjecture? Until we see them play, we can't tell if they fit together or not. You may not think that they'll fit, but until we actually see ithem it's just your opinion, not fact.

Great players usually find a way to coexist.  People were saying the same thing about the Heat with their old big 3.  It makes it easier on them sharing the load.

Also see Melo in the Olympics.  He can fit in with other great players.  Lastly both Melo and and Paul are at an age where it's better for them to take more of a backseat.
Yeah like westbrook, harden, and KD? oh wait they won 0 championships and made the finals like once and got destroyed. Sorry but having 3 ball stompers doesn't work. Cp3 and harden both LEAD the league in ball possession time
Terrible example in using that OKC team. Westbrook and Harden have both made immense strides since then, and all 3 of those guys are good passers. To call them 'ball stompers' is just ridiculous. The fact is that you have no evidence that Houston won't work, you just don't want it to.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #627 on: July 20, 2017, 11:43:33 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
So, somewhere in the 36 pages of this thread, this may have been mentioned already, but Festus Ezeli was waived on 6/30 by Portland.  Do to his injury history, bet we might be able to get him on the cheap.  Thoughts?

I've never understood the fascination with this dude.  If we wanted a big guy who offers almost nothing aside from blocking shots we should have signed Amida Brimeh and been done with it.

You should look at him a little closer.  He's a guy who has averaged 14.6/9.9 during his career, only averaging 28.8 mpg.  During his high of 34.2 mpg, he was a 19.3/10.9 guy.  BTW, nothing aside from blocks?  He averages .9 per game.

This guy can play and is only 26.

You're referring to Nikola Vucevic, not Ezeli.

Talking about one player, thinking about another.  Had my head where the sun don't shine on that one!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #628 on: July 20, 2017, 11:44:52 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Cavs and Derrick Rose in "serious talks" on a 1 year deal. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/derrick-rose-cavaliers-reportedly-serious-talks-one-year-deal-153050823.html

Sucks.  If healthy, that'd definitely make Cleveland better.  Truly hate that team.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #629 on: July 20, 2017, 11:46:43 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

You mean in 2011-12, when a team led by a 22 year old and two 23 year olds managed to beat the reigning NBA Champs 4-0, the 2010 NBA Champs 4-1, and the 2014 NBA Champs 4-2, before losing to the best player in the world and the team that would end up winning 2 straight finals?

If Harden hadn't gotten traded that summer we'd be looking at a much different story.  But instead, I guess a bunch of guys on or 1 year off of their rookie contracts losing in the NBA finals is somehow proof that good players can't play together  ::)
I'm bitter.