Poll

The Celtics First Round matchup is the Heat or Sixers. Who would you prefer?

Heat
29 (74.4%)
Sixers
10 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Poll: You Have To Choose First Round… Miami Or Philly?  (Read 2958 times)

Poll: You Have To Choose First Round… Miami Or Philly?
« on: April 07, 2024, 11:54:53 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2960
  • On To Banner 18!
Yeah I think we’d all much rather the Bulls, Hawks or even Pacers. But if we really have to play one of MIA/PHI first round who would you prefer?

I would definitely prefer Miami at this point
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Poll: You Have To Choose First Round… Miami Or Philly?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 11:59:47 AM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1811
Deep down I don't care, but if I had to choose I would like to see the Celtics demolish the Heat...they deserve a wooping.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 12:43:13 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
Easy pick for me. The Heat. PHI with Embiid is a much better team.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 12:46:07 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Yep, PHI is the 2nd best in the East IMO

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 12:50:28 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2970
Heat

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 01:12:11 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Miami. 

Destroy them. Just want to put that team to rest.  Celtics are a different team this year. I don't get the fear.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2024, 01:19:59 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Philly,, Heat has our number for some odd reason
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2024, 01:23:38 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Is there still any chance the 76ers move up to #6? I do see Heat and Pacers play each other today. 76ers play the Spurs later today

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2024, 01:42:40 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Is there still any chance the 76ers move up to #6? I do see Heat and Pacers play each other today. 76ers play the Spurs later today

The Sixers could legit win out, their remaining schedule is that easy. But yeah, you need at least one of IND/MIA to also lose multiple games. One of them is definitely losing today. So it's still possible, but not as likely as maybe thought a few days ago. Thought IND could lose to OKC but instead they blew OKC out lol

Pacers do hold the tiebreaker over the Sixers. And today's Pacers-Heat game is their 3rd meeting and it's 1-1 this season so winner also holds the tiebreaker. If IND wins today then that probably gives them a bigger cushion for the 6 seed, and over Miami. So honestly, might be best to root for MIA today as well as PHI. The Pacers won't be an easy opponent but I still think the C's can take them in 5. Siakam hasn't had the intended impact for them and they lost Mathurin for the season.

I do think PHI will beat IND in a play-in game regardless if home or away.

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2024, 07:42:38 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002

The Sixers could legit win out, their remaining schedule is that easy. But yeah, you need at least one of IND/MIA to also lose multiple games. One of them is definitely losing today. So it's still possible, but not as likely as maybe thought a few days ago. Thought IND could lose to OKC but instead they blew OKC out lol

Pacers do hold the tiebreaker over the Sixers. And today's Pacers-Heat game is their 3rd meeting and it's 1-1 this season so winner also holds the tiebreaker. If IND wins today then that probably gives them a bigger cushion for the 6 seed, and over Miami. So honestly, might be best to root for MIA today as well as PHI. The Pacers won't be an easy opponent but I still think the C's can take them in 5. Siakam hasn't had the intended impact for them and they lost Mathurin for the season.

I do think PHI will beat IND in a play-in game regardless if home or away.

Indy wins. Guess they're more likely to get the 6th seed unless they start free falling the rest of the way

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2024, 12:05:40 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Yeah, Miami is the clear answer here. Not only is Philly a much better team than Miami with Embiid healthy, but it would also be good for us to clear those past playoff demons from the get-go, which hopefully will give us some momentum and confidence to get the job done.

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2024, 12:38:54 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
Miami

Philly with Embiid is dangerous, I don't want a 7-game slugfest in our first round.
Plus I think we would be highly motivated vs Miami.
Recent losses to inferior Heat teams have stung - I gotta think we would be focused for them.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2024, 02:27:36 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
Philly.

We've played the sixers time and time again and every time we knock them out.  Embiid is not a leader, he falls apart in the clutch, and few people on earth guard him better then Horford does. 

Likewise Embiid moves like a sloth in quicksand and would have absolute nightmares trying to chase Porzingis around the perimeter. 

Also the sixers have absolutely no wings who can guard the duo of Tatum/Brown, nor do they have any perimeter guys who can guard White and Holiday.  7 game series against Philly, I'm calling Boston in 5.  Plus Embiid just came back from injury so his already poor conditioning is probably even worse at this point. 

Heat IMHO are much more dangerous.

Butler is not only very capable of giving us problems on the offensive end, he's also capable of giving one of tatum/brown a lot of trouble defensively as well. 

Bam for some reason has given the Celtics problems since the beginning of time, and he's strong and mobile enough to potentially give Porzingis some hassles defensively. 

Herro is inconsistent, but he's another guy who can get hot and score 30 on any given night, and the Celtics have a history of getting torched by those #3/#4 guys on the roster.

Now even with all of the above I wouldn't be too worried about Miami...until they picked up Rozier.  He was a huge pickup for them and gives them a 4th offensive option who could score 25-30 on any given night - and he's just starting to find his rythm with the team too.  Terry has a history of making big time plays at bit time moments on both ends of the court and he's intimidated by nobody - I think he was a really underrated pickup by Miami and fits their culture perfectly.  He's a guy who will play hard and leave 110% effort on the floor every night.

When it comes to end of games the Heat are now a lot like the Celtics - they have a lot of offensive versatility and a lot of guys they can run plays for, and it's going to be tough to keep a body on everybody.  And then you have Spolestra's proven championship coaching. 

More importantly the Heat are just dogs.  They will always give it everything they have.  They will never give up.  They are tough, they are smart, they are physical, they are well coached. When it comes intangibles, they are as good as any team in the league. 

If you want to get past Miami, you need to beat Miami.  They won't beat themselves like Philly all too often do. 

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2024, 02:29:10 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123

Philly has been a "much better team" in the regular season for the past several years now, but they have been sitting at home watching after the second round while the Heat have pushed us to the absolute limit every time we've faced them. 

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2024, 05:04:18 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
cant believe people are actually saying philly. this team was the #3 seed with embiid before he got hurt. you want to play a tougher matchup?

Miami are not a good team. sure they pushed us last year (and the year before were either #1 or #2. but this is not the same team.

also we are not the same team. KP will punish them if they go to the zone