Author Topic: Patriots 2018 Season  (Read 76320 times)

Re: Patriots 2018 Season
« Reply #195 on: December 09, 2018, 02:04:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Dolphins seem em-Bolden-ed by their early offensive success
Yup

« Reply #196 on: December 09, 2018, 02:04:59 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
OK -- what the heck?   Was hoping the Pats defense was on an upswing.  Wow -- this is just embarrassing for them.  Miami just slicing through like butter.

« Reply #197 on: December 09, 2018, 02:12:25 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
Brady looking amazing today.  Passing offense clicking.  But looks they'll need TDs every possession...

What's with no James White?   I didn't see any pregame -- is he hurt?

« Reply #198 on: December 09, 2018, 02:22:23 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
I guess James White is playing -- didn't seem like he was active till now...

Got to stop Miami here -- gave them too much time.  Dolphins have the ball after the half too.

« Reply #199 on: December 09, 2018, 02:34:33 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
Absolutely dumbest play I've ever seen Brady make.  Throw it away!!!!!!!!!

I cannot believe they did not get 3 out of that.  Sinful!

« Reply #200 on: December 09, 2018, 02:38:16 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Got to stop Miami here -- gave them too much time.  Dolphins have the ball after the half too.

Obsessed with playing (and trying to get the ball to) Burkhead rather than what has been working for years. James White is a fantastic weapon.

That was awful. Did Brady forget what would happen if he got sacked there? Nobody was open, but he had every opportunity to get rid of it. What a waste of a [rare] blocked punt!

« Reply #201 on: December 09, 2018, 02:44:28 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

Obsessed with playing (and trying to get the ball to) Burkhead rather than what has been working for years. James White is a fantastic weapon.

That was awful. Did Brady forget what would happen if he got sacked there? Nobody was open, but he had every opportunity to get rid of it. What a waste of a [rare] blocked punt!

Honestly, I am stunned.   He was upright after the initial pressure.  Had presence of mind to look for a receiver -- but not to dump it (chuck it)…?  So unBrady.   Could cost the game the way the D has played -- should be a 2-score lead.

« Reply #202 on: December 09, 2018, 04:10:40 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
Ummm.  Really?

« Reply #203 on: December 09, 2018, 04:21:14 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't know that the Pats really deserved this game. Gostkowski was awful today, the offense left 3 points on the field at the end of the 1st half (or 7 if you think Brady should be able to score a TD with three chances from the 2-yd line), and the defense showed their true colors.

The bright side? Well, Houston also lost - meaning the Pats can still get the bye if they win out (no guarantees there  ::) )

« Reply #204 on: December 09, 2018, 04:31:29 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Wow. The Patriots suck. I can't wait until their season's over and we can be spared anymore of their nonsense.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #205 on: December 09, 2018, 04:34:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This Pats team has been unpleasant to follow all year.  Just feels like a team that is tired of doing this same thing over and over.  They rely too much on short passes and runs.  Gronk is ready to retire.  Brady is skittish in the red zone given any kind of pressure.  It's a rerun of a rerun and it's not as good as it used to be. 

Brady looks like he can play a couple more years potentially.  But what will that do to the team when this is clearly headed in the wrong direction?

That game makes me feel like saying two words:

Go Chiefs!
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #206 on: December 09, 2018, 04:45:17 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Too many points left on the field... and what's Gronk doing on that final play!?!?

Yes, the entire defense sucked on that final play, but Gronk in particular looked like he was just standing there all the way until Drake came close to him and predictably cut to the outside with a WIDE OPEN lane SMH. And of course, Gronk stumbled in pathetic fashion and that was that. I’d have put Josh Gordon out there instead of Gronk as "pass-catching safety".

Points were left on the field too. 3 points right before the half but Brady took that poor sack, then Gostkowski missed 4 points with his leg.

Just an awful loss. We really had it despite the struggles, but unfortunately we didn’t play the full 60 minutes. And when the first receiver caught the ball (I forgot who it was), TACKLE HIM! Don’t just go for the ball and whiff (while he catches and then laterals it). Brutal.

Best case scenario now is the #2 seed in the AFC, and next week's game could decide that too.
I’d say it’s a must win now too, not just for the 2 seed, but also to prove that we can do better and win on the road (only great win on the road was Chicago so far this year). That’s not to say if we lose that PIT gets it, but do you expect HOU to lose another game? Possibly, but I honestly doubt it. If NE wins, I see them getting the 2 seed, if they lose, then yikes, idk… could be PIT or HOU at 2 seed, and NE in the Wild Card game.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #207 on: December 09, 2018, 04:52:35 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Too many points left on the field... and what's Gronk doing on that final play!?!?

Yes, the entire defense sucked on that final play, but Gronk in particular looked like he was just standing there all the way until Drake came close to him and predictably cut to the outside with a WIDE OPEN lane SMH. And of course, Gronk stumbled in pathetic fashion and that was that. I’d have put Josh Gordon out there instead of Gronk as "pass-catching safety".

Points were left on the field too. 3 points right before the half but Brady took that poor sack, then Gostkowski missed 4 points with his leg.

Just an awful loss. We really had it despite the struggles, but unfortunately we didn’t play the full 60 minutes. And when the first receiver caught the ball (I forgot who it was), TACKLE HIM! Don’t just go for the ball and whiff (while he catches and then laterals it). Brutal.

Best case scenario now is the #2 seed in the AFC, and next week's game could decide that too.
I’d say it’s a must win now too, not just for the 2 seed, but also to prove that we can do better and win on the road (only great win on the road was Chicago so far this year). That’s not to say if we lose that PIT gets it, but do you expect HOU to lose another game? Possibly, but I honestly doubt it. If NE wins, I see them getting the 2 seed, if they lose, then yikes, idk… could be PIT or HOU at 2 seed, and NE in the Wild Card game.

New England doesn't deserve a top-2 seed, because they haven't played like a top-2 seed, regardless of what their record might indicate. Every time they make some progress, they turn around and lay a huge egg.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #208 on: December 09, 2018, 04:54:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

New England doesn't deserve a top-2 seed, because they haven't played like a top-2 seed, regardless of what their record might indicate. Every time they make some progress, they turn around and lay a huge egg.

They are just awful on the road, plain and simple. I'm still rooting for them obviously and keeping the faith, but feels like a loss next week all but ends the season. They'll be in the playoffs but doubt they go far (likely lose the first road game they play there). Similar to the years we went to AFCCG and lost on road to DEN, except this time it's likely KC (or PIT/HOU divisional round).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #209 on: December 09, 2018, 04:54:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
BTW if you look at the box score at first it looks like Brady had a great day .... 358 yards, 3 TDs, no interceptions. 

You would think the offense was good but the defense let the team down.  Also Gostkowski.

Except the Pats were 9-16 on third downs.  They had 11 drives to score 33 points.  They were 3-6 in the Red Zone. 

They lost despite having an edge 35 min to 25 min in time of possession, and despite running 75 plays to the Dolphins' 45.

They averaged 2.6 yards per carry and barely over 5 yards per play.

The offense is grindy and painful this year.  The defense is slow.

They look like Danny Glover out there:  too old for this ... stuff.

Honestly this Pats team makes me feel sad and tired, too.  Like maybe iit'll be best for everybody for this to just be over.  I have more fun and feel less emotionally invested watching the Chiefs or the Saints or Rams play arena ball.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain