13 (43.3%)
Second round
4 (13.3%)
ECF
7 (23.3%)
Warriors, it's championship city!
6 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Playoff expectations?  (Read 4575 times)

Re: Playoff expectations?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 03:42:52 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Morris and Monroe are the keys.. If Morris performs like the vet we saw in the last 3 weeks.. Then I like our chances.

The kids are obviously gonna have to step up more and limit the games where they lay eggs like the last game against the Raptors. We can't afford for them to play like that otherwise it will be a short series regardless of what Morris and Moose do.

If all play to their upmost strengths then there is no reason for us to have an early vacation..

Highest expectation is ECF.. If we go against the Raptors then we have a chance but against the Cavs we are probably lucky to reach game 6.

Lowest expectation and perhaps the most dissapointing is round one exit.. Which can still happen specially if the Js hit a wall and Rozier suddenly cant shoot.

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 06:42:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I expect us to play hard and try to compete.   I think that is all you can ask for in the end.

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 08:40:57 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Lose in six or seven in first round. Great effort and defense, not enough offense.

Should we be prepared to see a replica performance of 2016 playoffs...where we had Evan Turner, Amir Johnson, Jared Sullinger, and Tyler Zeller

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 08:46:06 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Play hard, play smart and let Coach Stevens do his thing.

Don't count us out.

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 08:57:07 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
As excited as I am with the development of Brown and Tatum, and as hard as this team competes and defends, still I can't see them getting out of the first round. 

There are just too many injuries to key players. They will struggle to score way too often.

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2018, 10:32:40 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1551
I think with a healthy, rested Horford and both Brown and Tatum playing well, you can make the case that the should beat Milwaukee or Miami in a 7 game series with homecourt.  If they lost it would not be shocking though.

If they matchup against Philly in round 2 that could be interesting.
I know it's not popular but I feel both Heat and Bucks are stronger that 76ers due to the experience of the leaders on those teams. 76ers should be easy no shot against us or them (other top teams)
The Sixers have JJ Redick, Amir Johnson, Ersan Ilyasova, and Marco Belinelli all in the rotation and playing key roles.  They aren't exactly devoid of veteran leadership.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2018, 11:07:50 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Lose in six or seven in first round. Great effort and defense, not enough offense.
I understand your points, but I am curious how well brown and Tatum will step up. If they both do, then the Celtics can score enough points.

This will be a really, really fun post season. We don’t fret. And gnash our teeth over championships, we enjoy seeing how far the kids can carry the team. I like it.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2018, 12:20:20 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2004
Depends on the matchup, obviously.

I think the Bucks are going to be tougher than some expect.  GA is an NBA darling - he's going to get calls like a superstar in the playoffs and I wouldn't be surprised if he averages > 9-10 FT attempts per game.  He gets to the FT line far more than anyone else in the league at 8.7 FT attempts per game besides Harden (who "earns" 10.2 FTA per game - for reference, LeBron is at 6.5, and the next closest is Anthony Davis at 7.9).  If we were healthy we'd crush these chumps but obviously this isn't the case.  Middleton is a solid player as is Bledsoe.  Their bench is lacking but so is ours.  I'd expect it to be a hard fought 7 game series.

On paper, Miami is the best matchup.  An overachieving team in the regular season that isn't constructed for playoff success because they don't have superstar/upper echelon star talent.  I don't see individual matchup concerns.  Good defensively but like the depleted C's roster goes through offensive lapses.  We can win in 6.

The Wizards may have the worst record of the bunch currently but they're probably the least favorable opponent.  Their core has continuity and despite how bad of a coach Brooks is they present clear matchup problems at both guard spots.  Otherwise I wouldn't be sweating it.

I won't be too disappointed if we lose in the first round given our injuries but I'd love to see us advance to the second round at minimum as a true test to our future core, Tatum and Brown.  I'm really looking forward to how they both respond to the upcoming challenge.

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2018, 01:11:57 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I was going to make a silly post and liken Terry to other one-name legends -- Bono, Cher, Yanni -- but the playoffs are a serious matter.

I honestly think they'll advance in 7 games past Miami.  Lose in 6-7 games against the Bucks.  Lose in 6 to the Wiz.  Lucky for us, the Heat own the tiebreaker vs. the Bucks.

Brown and Terry have proven to step up in big games.  Morris has done enough to give you confidence that he can keep this juju going.  Moose has been steady of late.  And Tatum is too good to not have a strong game or two. 

That's not a bad outcome for a brutal season of injuries. 

Prepare for the worst, Miami.  The Mean Green Machine is comin'.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2018, 03:49:54 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I understand your points, but I am curious how well brown and Tatum will step up. If they both do, then the Celtics can score enough points.

This will be a really, really fun post season. We don’t fret. And gnash our teeth over championships, we enjoy seeing how far the kids can carry the team. I like it.  ;D

Celts offensive rating with Horford on the floor without Kyrie, Theis, Smart:

Celts offensive rating without Horford on the floor without Kyrie, Theis, or Smart:

Al Horford can only play so many minutes in the playoffs.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2018, 08:54:47 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Oh hell , lets hang one !

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2018, 11:16:51 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Celts offensive rating with Horford on the floor without Kyrie, Theis, Smart:

Celts offensive rating without Horford on the floor without Kyrie, Theis, or Smart:

Al Horford can only play so many minutes in the playoffs.
The above is based on the season, yes? The past few weeks have shown us how brown and tatum have developed over what they were in the early past of the season. Their increased playing time makes this a different team come the playoffs.

Plus, those numbers are sss and I don’t think will bear up in the playoffs. But we shall see.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2018, 11:22:38 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Interesting how we have met  and exceeded most expectations

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2018, 11:29:27 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I expect us to play hard and try to compete.   I think that is all you can ask for in the end.

This.

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2018, 11:54:12 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I voted first round lolz.

:o