Author Topic: Nets (1-5) at Celtics (3-3) 1/4  (Read 55515 times)

Nets (1-5) at Celtics (3-3) 1/4
« on: January 03, 2012, 03:59:36 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
 at  
New Jersey Nets (1-5) at Boston Celtics (3-3)
Wednesday, January 4
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #7, Home Game #3
TV:  CSNNE,  YES, NBA-LP 752/753
Radio  WEEI
TD Garden  

Probable Starters
PG.....SG......SF......PF......C
Rajon Rondo.....Ray Allen ..... Paul Pierce.....Kevin Garnett..... Jermaine O'Neal

Boston Reserves
Chris Wilcox
Brandon Bass
Marquis Daniels
Keyon Dooling
Avery Bradley
JaJuan Johnson
E'Twaun Moore
Greg Stiemsma
Sasha Pavlovic

Injured
Mickael Pietrus (knee)  out  

Probable Starters
PG......SG.......SF.......PF.......C
Deron Williams.....Sundiata Gaines.... Damion James.... Shelden Williams...Mehmet Okur

New Jersey Reserves
MarShon Brooks
Shawne Williams
Johan Petro
DeShawn Stevenson
Anthony Morrow
Jordan Farmar
Jordan Williams
Dennis Horner

Injuries
Kris Humphries (shoulder) questionable
Brook Lopez (foot)  out

Team Connections

Nets assistant coach Popeye Jones played for the Celtics from 1997‐99
Damion James and Avery Bradley were teammates at Texas
Johan Petro and Ray Allen were teammates in Seattle from 2005‐07
MarShon Brooks and JaJuan Johnson were traded for each other at the 2011 NBA Draft
Jordan Williams and Chris Wilcox both attended the University of Maryland
Shelden Williams played for the Celtics during the 2009‐10 season
Keyon Dooling played for New Jersey from 2008‐10
Shawne Williams and Brandon Bass were teammates in Dallas during the 2008‐09 season.

Key Matchups
 vs  
Kevin Garnett vs Shelden Williams
Kevin Garnett has been playing well in the past two games.  Facing former Celtic Shelden Williams may be just what he needs to have another very good game.  KG has a height advantage and may know just what it would take to get into Shelden's head.  

vs  
Rajon Rondo vs Deron Williams
Rondo's play has been exceptional this season so far.  He now gets to face one of the top PG's in the league who also has been playing well despite his team's record.  Rondo always seems to up his game against the league's best, but as well as he has been playing, that might be tough.  

Honorable Mention
Ray Allen vs Sundiata Gaines
It will be interesting to see if Ray can keep up his hot shooting vs former D-Leaguer Sundiata Gaines.  He has to get tired sometime, right?

Player to Watch

MarShon Brooks
On draft night, Danny Ainge drafted Providence College's MarShon Brooks but then traded him for JaJuan Johnson.  It was a trade that several Celtics fans questioned.   And with the way Brooks is playing, some still question it.  Brooks is leading all rookies in scoring at 13.7 points per game to go with 3.7 rebounds and 0.8 assists in 21 minutes.  He is shooting 46% from the field and 33% from beyond the arc.  In his last game, he recorded career highs in points (21) and rebounds (7).    Johnson hasn't had much chance to play and so it may be awhile before we know whether this trade was indeed a good one or not.  

Game Notes
The Celtics have clawed their way back to .500 and face a Nets team that is just 1-5.  It would be easy to overlook them but the Celtics haven't played well enough yet to overlook any team.

The Celtics won the 2010-11 season series 3-1 but the Nets are riding a one game win streak, having won the final meeting of the year.  Since that time, the entire Nets roster has had a makeover while the Celtics starters are still intact with a makeover on the bench.  the Nets have some nice pieces but it will take some time for the chemistry to build.  The Nets are also dealing with a possible season ending injury to their starting center Brook Lopez, who was the lone bright spot for much of last season for the team.   Their starting PF is also questionable with a shoulder injury.  Jermaine O'Neal is expected to play in this game but Mickael Pietrus still isn't ready.  

The Nets are one of the worst shooting teams in the NBA, ranking 29th in scoring at 85.3 ppg and 30th in FG % at 38.4%.  The Celtics' defense hasn't been all that good, but unless the Nets break out with some execeptional shooting, the defense should be good enough to hold the Nets to their averages.  

Keys to the Game

Focus - It would be easy to look past a team starting Sundiata Gaines and Shelden Williams but let's not forget that this is also a team that is led by Deron Williams.  The Celtics need keep their focus and come out to play as if they were facing the Heat.  Underestimating any team, regardless of record is a big mistake.  

Defense - The key to every win is defense.  The Celtics have got to put out the effort on the defensive end and when the defense is on track, that fuels the offense.  

Rebound - Rebounding is a big key to getting a win.   The Celtics must put out the effort on the boards to prevent second chance baskets and put backs from the Nets.  The Nets are ranked 17th in rebounding at 41.3 per game while the Celtics are ranked 28th with 36.7 rebounds per game.  The Celtics have to crash the boards and work hard to out-rebound the Nets.  

Play 48 Minutes - The Celtics must come out strong and make a statement early.  They shouldn't give the Nets any hope that they could win this game.  They also have to play hard until the final buzzer and not allow the Nets to mount any comebacks.  

X-Factors
Trap Game and Home Court
The Celtics have the home crowd behind them and they need to feed off the energy from the crowd to play hard and get the win.  Focus will be key here as if they remain focused they should get an easy win but if they lose focus and allow the Nets to stay in it,  it could be a tough fight to the end.  

Re: Nets (1-5) at Celtics (3-3) 1/4
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 04:04:16 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Rondo-Williams is always an intriguing matchup.

Fun one to watch.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 04:07:27 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I was on staycation all last week with my fiance and I was forced to watch some Kardashian-Humphries garbage.

Man, I know that show is fake but he is a complete toolbag.

I would LOVE to see him play in this game and for KG to get in his head.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 04:09:03 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
TP. Go Celtics!

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 04:14:03 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Besides a few players the Nets basically have a D-league roster.  It's crazy.

The Marshon Brooks thing scares me.  Me and my friends were all watching the draft together and got very excited when they took him.  There was someone in the crowd that had a sign that said "Marshon Brooks = The Next Kobe Bryant" and we were just talking about that today looking at how well Brooks has played.  REALLY hope we don't regret that one down the line.  Not that we needed another SG but if he ends up being an All-Star you had to take him regardless.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 05:15:47 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Besides a few players the Nets basically have a D-league roster.  It's crazy.

The Marshon Brooks thing scares me.  Me and my friends were all watching the draft together and got very excited when they took him.  There was someone in the crowd that had a sign that said "Marshon Brooks = The Next Kobe Bryant" and we were just talking about that today looking at how well Brooks has played.  REALLY hope we don't regret that one down the line.  Not that we needed another SG but if he ends up being an All-Star you had to take him regardless.
Well yeah, but if he's an all-star then 15+ teams also missed on him not just the Celtics.

Remember given that the C's only moved down two spots they never intended to pick Brooks, rather they would have drafted Johnson they just moved down for the small extra value of a second round pick from NJ.

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 05:19:17 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Wow, that is one sad lineup for the Nets.  Even with Lopez and Humphries they're not a great team, but without them they're D-Will and a bunch of scrubs, essentially.

Really pathetic if the C's lose to this team. 
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 05:49:22 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Thanks for post, FLCeltsFan (TP).

Looking forward to seeing what the MarShon Brooks confusion is about. We'll see if he's the real deal or not.

My guess is - while he is a good player, he is taking good advantage of a good situation, and that's it.

In other words - I doubt he'd sniff much time here in Boston.

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 06:09:29 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
i wanted to see if humphries was any good...looks like he won't play..

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 05:27:21 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Wow, that is one sad lineup for the Nets.  Even with Lopez and Humphries they're not a great team, but without them they're D-Will and a bunch of scrubs, essentially.

Really pathetic if the C's lose to this team.  
it would let alone be embarrassing if Doc even thinks of zoning them

lol
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 05:36:52 AM by j804 »
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 05:35:46 AM »

Offline raynman

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
I'd be disappointed if we don't blow out the New Joke Nets by at least 30! I hope to (finally) see Moore and Jajuan play significant minutes..

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 08:00:29 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Celtics should win this one. If the our starters are all feeling chipper. 

Maybe its just me watching way too much b ball, but  I'm already seeing suttle hints that D Will may not be happy, simular to what I saw with him at Utah.  I suspect they promised him DH would be in Nets uniform by now  ::)

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 08:43:33 AM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I'm looking forward to actually seeing Marshon Brooks play rather than just looking at his box score.

Hopefully it will be a laugher so our guys can rest up for FRI vs IND.  It will be our first real test with The Truth back in the lineup.  All of our wins so far have been against the very bottom of the barrel and NJN would fit that bill as well.

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 08:55:37 AM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
Shelden Williams?  Really?
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 10:54:18 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
According to a tweet it sounds like Deron is out tonight as well, time to see Marshon Brooks up close and personally.