Author Topic: looking to adopt NL team  (Read 8951 times)

looking to adopt NL team
« on: May 04, 2008, 12:58:13 AM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45
haven't posted here in a while, still troll and check the sight on a regular basis.

don't have much to say about hoops right now, because everything i want to say has said throughout the many threads here. just holding my breath for tomorrow.

so i'll throw this out there...

this summer i got a job at fenway park. you know those bank of america tables, with the shirts and blankets? that's me.

up until this summer, i loved the red sox. i'm not looking to turn my back on the team or anything, but i'm looking to adopt a NL team so i can stay interested. here are my reasons...

1) it's hard to get that into something when i'm at work. period. when you're there every day, most of the time you just want to know what inning it is, and when you get to go home. i don't care who you are.

2) red sox fans suck. period. what an absolutely terrible fanbase. there are a lot of great fans, but they're completely outnumbered by Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.bags. i mean the people who wander around drunk, in full sox gear, and don't even know what the score is. there are SO MANY of these people it's ridiculous.

what i'm looking for are suggestions for NL teams to start following. i'm restricting it to NL teams, because there's no conflict of interest. when the chips are down, i'm a sox fan. but anyone who's been in my position knows exactly where i'm coming from.

i'm leaning towards the dodgers, but i could use some useful suggestions. maybe an exciting young roster, a slept on veteran pitcher, finally getting to root for a joe torre team...anything

all suggestions will be considered before i pick my official adopted team.

thanks

Re: looking to adopt NL team
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 01:13:59 AM »

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
my favorite NL teams are the Diamondbacks and the Marlins

The marlins basically for Hanley and because someone needs to be a fan of the team

Diamondbacks because they have a bunch of young really good players, i know a bunch of people who have moved out to AZ, and they have the best one two punch in baseball with Webb and Haren.

And I agree with you about Red Sox fans. Hell, I was at the game Friday and I was kind of one of those guys, because of the rain delay and being distracted by the Celtics, then too depressed to care after they posted the final score.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 01:24:33 AM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45
that game on friday was brutal, people were completely hammered because there wasn't much else to do.

i spent the entirety of the actual game in my booth screaming "SCORE TO THE CELTICS GAME, SOMEONE HELP ME OUT HERE" until someone told me what happened

i was really into the d backs during the world series against the yankees. that was probably the last time i really enjoyed a world series, and clemens vs. schilling was a five star classic

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 01:49:46 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
haven't posted here in a while, still troll and check the sight on a regular basis.

don't have much to say about hoops right now, because everything i want to say has said throughout the many threads here. just holding my breath for tomorrow.

so i'll throw this out there...

this summer i got a job at fenway park. you know those bank of america tables, with the shirts and blankets? that's me.

up until this summer, i loved the red sox. i'm not looking to turn my back on the team or anything, but i'm looking to adopt a NL team so i can stay interested. here are my reasons...

1) it's hard to get that into something when i'm at work. period. when you're there every day, most of the time you just want to know what inning it is, and when you get to go home. i don't care who you are.

2) red sox fans suck. period. what an absolutely terrible fanbase. there are a lot of great fans, but they're completely outnumbered by ****bags. i mean the people who wander around drunk, in full sox gear, and don't even know what the score is. there are SO MANY of these people it's ridiculous.

what i'm looking for are suggestions for NL teams to start following. i'm restricting it to NL teams, because there's no conflict of interest. when the chips are down, i'm a sox fan. but anyone who's been in my position knows exactly where i'm coming from.

i'm leaning towards the dodgers, but i could use some useful suggestions. maybe an exciting young roster, a slept on veteran pitcher, finally getting to root for a joe torre team...anything

all suggestions will be considered before i pick my official adopted team.

thanks

Well, I was all set to start making the pitch for my team...and then I saw that you're already leaning that way.  So before I go for the hard sell here, I'm curious as to the nature of your initial leanings toward the Dodgers.  What you got you interested in Dem Bums?  And how about the 8-game winning streak right now?

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 02:08:46 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Become a Pirates fan.  Join in my misery.  There is absolutely no upside unless you're actually in Pittsburgh and can enjoy the stadium and the absurdly low ticket prices.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 02:35:07 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
The Diamondbacks are young and fun and exciting to watch.  They have a GREAT pitcher to watch in Webb, he truly is a gem.  JD Drew's brother is their shortstop, a lot more personality than his older brother, and an exciting shortstop.  Upton is exciting, their whole roster is just fun.  I'm Red Sox through and through, but if I had to pick an NL team it would be the DBacks.  Honorable mention to the Cubs and their curse and their stud catcher, Geovany Soto.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 03:28:25 AM »

Offline jimmyt

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 2500
you cant like a team that is already good, youll be called a bandwagon jumper. i did the same thing you did earlier this year and decided to follow the reds. they are still considered relatively bad but they have some upside. great young pitchers and some solid hitters. jump on the bandwagon now before it becomes too full in about 2 years

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 11:16:27 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Like many others, I like the Dbacks, as well.  I've followed them, although not that closely, since they became into the league.  They get major credit for beating the Yankees, and now they're "doing things the right way" by building around an extremely solid core of young talent.  They've got outstanding pitching, and some really good young position players on the way up through their system.

Of course, the other team is the Cubs.  Any time the "loveable losers" get near the playoffs, you have to root for them.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 11:26:04 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I went through this last year, and decided upon the Brewers.  Couple reasons; I'm a homebrewer and a bit of a beer geek, but I also figured that if I was going to be listening to another team on the radio, getting to listen to Bob Uecker every night was a good deal.

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 11:51:24 AM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
Has to be the Brewers

- Small market
- Cold weather market
- Former AL team
- Great pitching
- Prince Fielder
- Gabe Kapler
- Ryan Braun (NL Rookie of the year)

and of course..........

Bernie Brewer!! 

I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 12:26:34 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Has to be the Brewers

- Small market
- Cold weather market
- Former AL team
- Great pitching
- Prince Fielder
- Gabe Kapler

and of course..........

Bernie Brewer!! 

Two negatives:

- Two playoff appearances in 39 seasons (None since 1982; no championships)

- Bud Selig

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 01:00:03 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
Has to be the Brewers

- Small market
- Cold weather market
- Former AL team
- Great pitching
- Prince Fielder
- Gabe Kapler

and of course..........

Bernie Brewer!! 

Two negatives:

- Two playoff appearances in 39 seasons (None since 1982; no championships)

- Bud Selig

- Bud Selig no longer owns the Brewers - he sold them in 2005
- I'd much rather cheer for a small market cold weather team who's an underdog than cheer for a "Johnny come lately" start up team.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.