Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 600613 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #555 on: January 23, 2015, 06:48:12 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
ESPN is really dumb. They start sportscenter saying someone stole 2 lbs of air from the football. That's your lead anchor ESPN, good to know they know what they are talking about ........

The sad thing is that it seems as if ESPN started going south as far as Sports Journalism - as soon as Stuart Scott started getting sick and lessening his appearances.

I remember the days when he and Rich Eisen just reported on Sports and facts...not controversy and rumors. Those days are long gone :(

Sure - Mr. Scott was very dramatic...lively, whatever. But it just seemed to me he had a lot of credence to his reporting.

Funny you should mention Scott, because I was just thinking about him. His early death was unfortunate, but I never liked his anchoring style—over the top, and I always felt that he was trying to be funny (like many earlier SC anchors such as Kilborn) but just wasn't.

I remember Stuart as being as trailblazer...he paved the way for the Shaq's, Charles, etc - to be comfortable on TV speaking the way they wanted. Stuart was bold...he was comfortable in his own skin back during a time in TV when that wasn't looked at fondly.

And he didn't do The Decision.

And I just don't remember him in the middle of mess like DeflateGate and others, lol.

As bold as his style was, he always had a sense of realness to it - unlike the stuff we're seeing with DeflateGate.

He definitely wasn't a sensationalist—as you said, he wasn't part of the The Decision or any other junk like that. I just didn't think he was funny.

He was a complete hack, just like every other anchor on ESPN. They try to be funny , but come off as phony morons .

« Reply #556 on: January 23, 2015, 06:56:03 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
ESPN is really dumb. They start sportscenter saying someone stole 2 lbs of air from the football. That's your lead anchor ESPN, good to know they know what they are talking about ........

The sad thing is that it seems as if ESPN started going south as far as Sports Journalism - as soon as Stuart Scott started getting sick and lessening his appearances.

I remember the days when he and Rich Eisen just reported on Sports and facts...not controversy and rumors. Those days are long gone :(

Sure - Mr. Scott was very dramatic...lively, whatever. But it just seemed to me he had a lot of credence to his reporting.

Funny you should mention Scott, because I was just thinking about him. His early death was unfortunate, but I never liked his anchoring style—over the top, and I always felt that he was trying to be funny (like many earlier SC anchors such as Kilborn) but just wasn't.

I remember Stuart as being as trailblazer...he paved the way for the Shaq's, Charles, etc - to be comfortable on TV speaking the way they wanted. Stuart was bold...he was comfortable in his own skin back during a time in TV when that wasn't looked at fondly.

And I just don't remember him in the middle of mess like DeflateGate and others, lol.

As bold as his style was, he always had a sense of realness to it - unlike the stuff we're seeing with DeflateGate.

He definitely wasn't a sensationalist—as you said, he wasn't part of the The Decision or any other junk like that. I just didn't think he was funny.

He was a complete hack, just like every other anchor on ESPN. They try to be funny , but come off as phony morons .

I thought some of them were funny—Craig Kilborn and Dan Patrick, for example (at least, I did when I was in college 16+ years ago; don't know if I'd still find them funny). Scott, however, just aggravated me with his urban lingo and his one eyebrow cocked high.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #557 on: January 23, 2015, 06:57:53 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

LOL I certainly don't remember him like that. Don't get his STYLE confused with the drivel that's ESPN at the moment.

But at the heart of deflategate is JEALOUSY.

The former players (Bettis, etc, etc) that are throwing Brady and NE under the bus are just jealous.

The Patriots have been perennial contenders for the last 15 years it seems. That is a LONG time of dominance. Even the years when NE exited early, there was always a sense that Brady and Co "could" be playing in Feb.

That period of dominance has evidently bred some haters, lol.....and a lot of sensationalism and wanting to see someone fail like Brady.

Get over it, haters...I'm a lifelong Redskins Fan, and The Patriots have been the symbol of contention for the last 15 years. Hopefully WE can do the same here, soon.

« Reply #558 on: January 23, 2015, 06:59:01 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

I thought some of them were funny—Craig Kilborn and Dan Patrick, for example (at least, I did when I was in college 16+ years ago; don't know if I'd still find them funny). Scott, however, just aggravated me with his urban lingo and his one eyebrow cocked high.

Stewart Scott's style was basically just copying Will Smith's Fresh Prince character/persona .

« Reply #559 on: January 23, 2015, 07:02:44 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Stewart Scott's style was basically just copying Will Smith's Fresh Prince character/persona .

Will Smith is a Comedian...Stuart Scott was a Sports Journalist - and one of the best.

He was comfortable in his own skin at a time when it wasn't cool to do so on TV. Still not cool, in some circles.

Stuart brought flavor....gotta have flavor with what you see/eat. If not, it's boring.

Flavor is not fake either...it brings the food/journalism - to life.

« Reply #560 on: January 23, 2015, 07:08:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

wow.. just wow...

« Reply #561 on: January 23, 2015, 07:10:59 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

wow.. just wow...

what's to wow? It's just my opinion . Does everyone need to think Scott was great ? Not happy he died or anything , but I wasn't a fan.

« Reply #562 on: January 23, 2015, 07:28:39 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Scott, however, just aggravated me with his urban lingo and his one eyebrow cocked high.

Are you white?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #563 on: January 23, 2015, 07:37:50 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Ugh, I hate when people are insinuating racism when they just plain don't like the work that someone has done
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #564 on: January 23, 2015, 07:41:12 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
BUT back on topic: I'm not fond of how the NFL is handling this

They seem like they will wait until after the Super Bowl to make a decision

If they do wait, they shouldn't do any investigation until after the game

Too many distractions. The NFL probably would like the Seahawks to win. (I know, I am biased, ha  ;) )
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #565 on: January 23, 2015, 07:41:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

wow.. just wow...

what's to wow? It's just my opinion . Does everyone need to think Scott was great ? Not happy he died or anything , but I wasn't a fan.

You don't need to like him or think he was a good journalist. Maybe I have different viewpoints, but it just doesn't seem very respectable to call someone a complete hack that came off as a phony moron like two weeks after he died tragically young from cancer. There are people that are still really heavily grieving his loss and would probably be respectful to hold in that kind of negative stuff for at least a bit longer. Again just my opinion

« Reply #566 on: January 23, 2015, 08:13:52 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Ugh, I hate when people are insinuating racism when they just plain don't like the work that someone has done

Because 'urban lingo' is used so often to describe the vernacular of white people.  ::)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #567 on: January 23, 2015, 08:16:33 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The Pats are going to need an obscure rule guy going forward whose job it will be to help the staff find things to accuse the other team of.  We think they might have caffein in their gatorade. We think the microphone in the QBs helmet might be too loud. We think they aren't using a regulation tee. Stuff like that.

Never accuse back. Always accuse first.

Places to start:
Anyone texting? (Browns)
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/01/nfl_is_investigating_report_th.html

Anyone too close to the sidelines? (Steelers)
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/11/28/5156106/mike-tomlin-kinda-interferes-with-jacoby-jones-kickoff-return-from
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #568 on: January 23, 2015, 08:29:23 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Scott, however, just aggravated me with his urban lingo and his one eyebrow cocked high.

Are you white?

I am indeed white, and if you're insinuating I'm racist, I'll thank you not to do so. Do I like the way some black people talk? No. Do I like ebonics? No. Does that make me racist? No.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #569 on: January 23, 2015, 08:31:14 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Because 'urban lingo' is used so often to describe the vernacular of white people.  ::)
I don't always love Terry Bradshaw's speech. I must be racist towards Louisianans.