Author Topic: Team USA humiliated. First loss since 2006.  (Read 6511 times)

Re: Team USA humiliated. First loss since 2006.
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2019, 04:47:36 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
Australia has a decent core of NBA players. Isnt Simmons ffrom there? Has he opted to play for Australia or is he holding out for US?

He withdrew along with his Philly teammate Jonah Bolden. Word is that some of the Philly higher-ups put some pressure on them not to play for their country.

I heard it was more to do with Lebron's agent Rich Paul - as Anthony Davis and Ben Simmons both have Paul as an agent, and both convenientely pulled out for their respective countries after initially being expected to play.

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2019, 09:13:19 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I don’t mind Turner on the team, but having Lopez and Plumlee as centers on this team has me scratching my head.  Then you look around the league and the center position is underwhelming for American born centers.  I can understand Drummond and Davis not going as they have played for USA several times, and maybe just saving themselves for the Olympics next year.

Gasol, Embiid, Horford, Towns, Ayton, Vuvecic, Capella, Jokic, Adams, and Gobert aren’t from here.  Even several good role players like Kanter, and Baynes aren’t from America.  There are some very young bigs that have some promise like Wendell Carter, JJJ, Bagley, Allen, and maybe our own Robert Williams, but a far cry from the likes of David Robinson, Ewing, and Shaq. Lol

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2019, 09:29:54 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don’t mind Turner on the team, but having Lopez and Plumlee as centers on this team has me scratching my head.  Then you look around the league and the center position is underwhelming for American born centers.  I can understand Drummond and Davis not going as they have played for USA several times, and maybe just saving themselves for the Olympics next year.

Gasol, Embiid, Horford, Towns, Ayton, Vuvecic, Capella, Jokic, Adams, and Gobert aren’t from here.  Even several good role players like Kanter, and Baynes aren’t from America.  There are some very young bigs that have some promise like Wendell Carter, JJJ, Bagley, Allen, and maybe our own Robert Williams, but a far cry from the likes of David Robinson, Ewing, and Shaq. Lol

I would've preferred to see those younger guys on the team than Plumlee and Brook Lopez.

Jaren Jackson and Bagley would've been cool.

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2019, 11:16:31 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Australia has a decent core of NBA players. Isnt Simmons ffrom there? Has he opted to play for Australia or is he holding out for US?

He withdrew along with his Philly teammate Jonah Bolden. Word is that some of the Philly higher-ups put some pressure on them not to play for their country.

I heard it was more to do with Lebron's agent Rich Paul - as Anthony Davis and Ben Simmons both have Paul as an agent, and both convenientely pulled out for their respective countries after initially being expected to play.

Simmons needs to work on his jumper. Makes sense for him to decline.

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2019, 12:06:50 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Humiliated is a bit harsh. They crushed Australia like two days prior.

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2019, 12:54:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Bron could beat all those teams by himself  :)

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2019, 01:11:19 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

was it dont "play for their country"? or, "don't play in a meaningless exhibition series because you might get hurt or wear yourself down"?

there is a difference.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2019, 07:33:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

was it dont "play for their country"? or, "don't play in a meaningless exhibition series because you might get hurt or wear yourself down"?

there is a difference.

Or “don’t play and work on developing a serviceable jump shot”?

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2019, 07:50:39 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

there is a difference.

Or “don’t play and work on developing a serviceable jump shot”?
that works too.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2019, 07:50:58 PM »

Offline soulman

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 21
I read the title and thought that USA played against Lebanon and lost by 12.....  Talk about overreacting....

Besides its an excebition game and we all know the next defeat in an official game will be by Greece again 😜😜😜

or Serbia, you never know.

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2019, 04:43:34 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
I used to sort of commute between England and Boston---jet lag is real and its effects go from wide awake exhaustion and gets subtler as the week progresses.Meals at different times out of sync with everything around you.
It was always the same .This is not a green glasses excuse.

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2019, 08:51:29 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Mason Plumlee made the team. Does anything else even need to be said?

I could see the Celtics falling in love with Plumlee and overpaying him.

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2019, 09:41:13 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
USA wins 78 straight games. Loses an exhibition game. Humiliated.

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2019, 12:30:01 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

You have that right. Here's a list of NBA centers/center-forwards ranked by Win Share, you can see how few American born players there are in the top 30. I looked into it to see if there was anyone better than Plumlee that we could possibly have picked. Maybe Drummond or Jarrett Allen?

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2019, 12:33:02 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

there is a difference.

It was probably the latter. But having lived in Australia, the way Australians look at representing their country, it doesn't matter if it's the Olympics or just the FIBA World Cup or an exhibition, they take that stuff seriously and so the fans weren't too happy. I can understand Simmons and Bolden not wanting to keep their employer unhappy though, it's the same deal that international soccer players have to deal with whenever their country wants them to play soccer friendlies and their British/Spanish/Italian/etc club doesn't want them to.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D