Author Topic: What About Iverson?  (Read 1291 times)

What About Iverson?
« on: February 15, 2016, 06:29:50 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Watching the Kobe send off during the all star game got me thinking. All of the things people have been saying about Kobe, his influence on the game and on the younger generation, I think applies more to Iverson especially in the black community.

Growing up in the 90s and early 00s besides Jordan, Iverson was the player everyone talked about and looked up to the most. When we talked about the Lakers it was always Shaq or Shaq and Kobe.

Maybe I'm totally off on this but before 2007 was there any question who was the more popular player?
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

Re: What About Iverson?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 06:33:00 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
It's funny, every time a topic about "Iverson" comes up, and I think it's going to be about Colton, it's about AI, and vice versa.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 06:33:25 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Didn't win.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 06:39:17 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It's funny, every time a topic about "Iverson" comes up, and I think it's going to be about Colton, it's about AI, and vice versa.

Me, too - I am just happy it's not another Colton thread. Why did Danny ever purchase that pick?

As for AI, it is all about championships, of which he has none. I also don't think his style of play is looked back on positively. High volume and low FG% was the norm and then we discovered advanced stats. It's why many people on this blog look back so negatively on Walker, when he was actually just a product of his 'generation'.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 06:47:49 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

Me, too - I am just happy it's not another Colton thread. Why did Danny ever purchase that pick?

As for AI, it is all about championships, of which he has none. I also don't think his style of play is looked back on positively. High volume and low FG% was the norm and then we discovered advanced stats. It's why many people on this blog look back so negatively on Walker, when he was actually just a product of his 'generation'.

I guess I'm talking more about his influence rather than his actual game. For example growing up for me, everyone wanted to wear #3, nobody really was going for the #8. You can see it now in the league, I think Chris Paul even admitted it.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 07:33:08 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Iverson had a much bigger impact initially because he was a star right out of the gate. Kobe took three seasons before he was genuine star in the NBA and was playing catchup to Iverson. I think Kobe caught up with Iverson towards the end of the three-peat.

I thought opinion on Iverson soured a couple of season after Philly made the Finals. That failure to get back to the Finals. First round exits. One 2nd round exit. Failing to combine with Van Horn, Glenn Robinson, Chris Webber. Teams with bad chemistry. Iverson viewed as more and more of a problem. I think Kobe and Iverson were comparable in terms of popularity by this point.

Then Iverson went to Denver. Slipped a bit out of mainstream. Failed to get past the 1st round again. Kobe surpassed him comfortably in this time. Generally considered the best player in the league and then Kobe got Pau Gasol and they were back in the Finals again. Meanwhile, Iverson went to Detroit. His game fell off a cliff. Out of the league soon after. Kobe with 5 Championships and trying to earn more.

A genuine winner vs a perennial loser.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 07:34:44 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Didn't win.

Took the talent around him as far as anyone could have gone.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 07:35:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Danny tried hard to swing a trade to bring Iverson here.  I think before the Ricky Davis trade.  I forgot why it fell through.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 07:42:46 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Iverson had a much bigger impact initially because he was a star right out of the gate. Kobe took three seasons before he was genuine star in the NBA and was playing catchup to Iverson. I think Kobe caught up with Iverson towards the end of the three-peat.

I thought opinion on Iverson soured a couple of season after Philly made the Finals. That failure to get back to the Finals. First round exits. One 2nd round exit. Failing to combine with Van Horn, Glenn Robinson, Chris Webber. Teams with bad chemistry. Iverson viewed as more and more of a problem. I think Kobe and Iverson were comparable in terms of popularity by this point.

Then Iverson went to Denver. Slipped a bit out of mainstream. Failed to get past the 1st round again. Kobe surpassed him comfortably in this time. Generally considered the best player in the league and then Kobe got Pau Gasol and they were back in the Finals again. Meanwhile, Iverson went to Detroit. His game fell off a cliff. Out of the league soon after. Kobe with 5 Championships and trying to earn more.

A genuine winner vs a perennial loser.
Good summary, TP.

I too thought this was another Colton thread.