Author Topic: Stephen Jackson rumor to Cleveland  (Read 8672 times)

Re: Stephen Jackson rumor to Cleveland
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 03:41:01 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3189
Z would be a good fit in Utah for Boozer. I don't think Cleveland takes Boozer back...

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 05:44:23 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

If GS would take on Z's expiring contract, why not offer Tony and Scal before Cleveland gets him?  He would fill a huge void as a big backup wing.

Because any GM that would accept Scal and TA for Big Z should be blacklisted from the league. Just becuase they're expirings doesn't mean they'll just do it, they could look at Z as an asset AND a contract.

Probably not, though. If this scenario happened with Cleveland and Golden State Illgauskas would probably be bought out or waived and head back to Cleveland for the year then retire.

If the Celtics and Cleveland were battling to aquire Jackson it'd come down to who Chris Mullin wants to see with a better chance of winning a championship.

Im getting tired of this whole make a trade, buy a player out, and then let him return to the team he came from.  I know they made the 30 day rule and all that, and if the player is technically a FA he can go wherever he wants, but I just get so irritated when I see teams like Cleveland make these crazy trades and get quality players for pratically nothing.

I know all these teams want is capspace, but I just feel like if I was a GM and I was giving away a quality NBA player, cap relief or not, I would want that team to take some kind of hit personel wise you know?  Maybe it's just been this way over the past year or two b/c the value of capspace has just skyrocketed b/c of 2010, it still bugs me though.....especially since we havent really profited from it.   :)
Greg

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 09:52:29 PM »

Offline Ian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 61

If GS would take on Z's expiring contract, why not offer Tony and Scal before Cleveland gets him?  He would fill a huge void as a big backup wing.

Because any GM that would accept Scal and TA for Big Z should be blacklisted from the league. Just becuase they're expirings doesn't mean they'll just do it, they could look at Z as an asset AND a contract.

Probably not, though. If this scenario happened with Cleveland and Golden State Illgauskas would probably be bought out or waived and head back to Cleveland for the year then retire.

If the Celtics and Cleveland were battling to aquire Jackson it'd come down to who Chris Mullin wants to see with a better chance of winning a championship.

Im getting tired of this whole make a trade, buy a player out, and then let him return to the team he came from.  I know they made the 30 day rule and all that, and if the player is technically a FA he can go wherever he wants, but I just get so irritated when I see teams like Cleveland make these crazy trades and get quality players for pratically nothing.

I know all these teams want is capspace, but I just feel like if I was a GM and I was giving away a quality NBA player, cap relief or not, I would want that team to take some kind of hit personel wise you know?  Maybe it's just been this way over the past year or two b/c the value of capspace has just skyrocketed b/c of 2010, it still bugs me though.....especially since we havent really profited from it.   :)

what about the Gary Payton for Antoine Walker and Gary Payton deal?

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 10:35:13 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Jackson to Cleveland would give them a better option on the wing... but i don't think he is a difference maker. Cleveland needs both Shaq and Z, especially if 1 of them is injured.

The title this year is gonna be won in the paint. Best front line is gonna win the whole thing. LA, Bos, Cle, Orl are stacked. I haven't seen front line depth like this (3-4 starting quality bigs each) on this many contenders in a long time.

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 12:35:04 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Jackson would be an interesting backup to Lebron since they both do the point forward thing. I'm not sure how they well they would work together on the floor. Seems a bad match.

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 01:58:33 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1772
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Jackson is definitely an underrated guy here, I guess. Yeah, I know he is not necessarily a superstar, but with the problems with Delonte, he certainly would fit the bill. He is another very good offensive player that would fit in very well with the Cavs...and only giving up Z is kind of ridiculous. Shaq and Varejao can cover the center position. Jackson would be kind of scary on the Cavs. I agree you offer GS Scal, Allen, and whoever to not only improve our team, but keep him from going to Cleveland.

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2009, 02:28:31 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Jackson to Cleveland would give them a better option on the wing... but i don't think he is a difference maker. Cleveland needs both Shaq and Z, especially if 1 of them is injured.

The title this year is gonna be won in the paint. Best front line is gonna win the whole thing. LA, Bos, Cle, Orl are stacked. I haven't seen front line depth like this (3-4 starting quality bigs each) on this many contenders in a long time.

TP. I agree that that cavs would need both Z and Shaq especially if one got injured. I think what would suck is if GS bought out Z's contract and he went back to the cavs. I don't even know if that is realistic though because isn't Z getting paid a decent amount this year meaning that a buyout woudl be unlikely?

I think best front line will win it as well. I'm just not really sold on Big Z and Shaq together. I guess it has the potential to be pretty dominant (although we have a lot more versatility) but I  just won't believe it until I see them play on the court, maintain it, avoid injury etc. We're talking about 2 huge, old, injury prone guys I just don't see it playing out as well as they're hoping for (which would be more than fine with me)

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2009, 03:17:41 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
I'm not sure the Cavs front-line can afford to lose one of their best players. If they lost Varejao, Shaq or Ilgauskas, they'd lose a lot of their big man depth in a hurry.

I don't think they can afford to give up Big Z at this point. The Cavs should wait two months and see what JJ Hickson is capable of producing first. If Hickson can take a big leap forward, which looks possible but not certain, then the Cavs could afford to sacrifice Big Z in order to upgrade their wing situation. Not before then though, too risky for my taste.

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2009, 03:33:26 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I'm not sure the Cavs front-line can afford to lose one of their best players. If they lost Varejao, Shaq or Ilgauskas, they'd lose a lot of their big man depth in a hurry.

I also think that in order to have an effective Shaq at the end of the year he'll have to sit out some games like he did last year. If theres a game two nights in a row he'll sit out the less important one. If Big Z isn't there to play on the nights Big S isn't, they are in HUGE trouble.

Plus they'll need him if they wanna be #1 in the East.

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2009, 03:40:13 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

what about the Gary Payton for Antoine Walker and Gary Payton deal?

well yeah of course, that deal is where the 30 day rule came from.  But I was referring more to since we became contendors, the value of cap relief and expiring contracts has skyrocketed since the deal you mentioned.  Cleveland has landed some nice talent taking advantage of these little BS deals where they give up nothing and end up landing nice pieces to their squad.

Ill still take Sheed and Marquis over Shaq though.
Greg

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 06:11:48 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71

I don't think they can afford to give up Big Z at this point. The Cavs should wait two months and see what JJ Hickson is capable of producing first. If Hickson can take a big leap forward, which looks possible but not certain, then the Cavs could afford to sacrifice Big Z in order to upgrade their wing situation. Not before then though, too risky for my taste.
I think Z would come back though.  I see no reason for him to play for GS.  The only way he doesn't go back to Cleveland is if GS keeps his contract as a tradeable asset.

Even if Z doesn't go back though, I think if you can get a big minutes starter for a 20-25 minute bench player you go for it.  Especially if it can put you over the top.  This move would make the Cavs a lot more versatile too.  They could go big with Mo, Jackson, Lebron, Varajao, Shaq or they could go slightly smaller and pretty quick with Mo, Moon or Parker, Jackson, Lebron and Varajao.  The only undersized guy would be Lebron, and I can't picture him being outmatched by many people.

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 06:13:43 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
If I'm Toronto, I offer Biedrins and Jackson for Bosh/ Derozen.

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
I think Golden State would take that in a heartbeat.  I don't think Toronto would.  They should be able to get more for Bosh than Biedrins.  They like foreign guys but not that much.  Maybe Biedrins, Curry and a draft pick though.  I doubt Toronto would want Jackson's contract.

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2009, 06:52:35 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I think Golden State would take that in a heartbeat.  I don't think Toronto would.  They should be able to get more for Bosh than Biedrins.  They like foreign guys but not that much.  Maybe Biedrins, Curry and a draft pick though.  I doubt Toronto would want Jackson's contract.

I don't see why they wouldn't. They have a weakness at SG, which Jackson could fill, and they're planning for life after Bosh anyway. Biedrins, with his rebounding, would make a very nice compliment to Bargs in the front court. I actually think this trade makes Toronto better and I'd be more worried about GS not taking the deal because there's no guarantee Bosh stays with the team.

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2009, 07:11:31 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum

I don't see why they wouldn't. They have a weakness at SG, which Jackson could fill, and they're planning for life after Bosh anyway. Biedrins, with his rebounding, would make a very nice compliment to Bargs in the front court. I actually think this trade makes Toronto better and I'd be more worried about GS not taking the deal because there's no guarantee Bosh stays with the team.
If they're sure Bosh is leaving then I guess yes, it would make sense to get something before they lose him for nothing.  But if they can keep him they should definitely try.