Author Topic: Simple trade that makes sense for both teams -- Dooling for TA  (Read 9560 times)

Re: Simple trade that makes sense for both teams -- Dooling for TA
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2009, 09:11:43 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Well they've got 15 guys under contract, so no. But if we made it Giddens and Tony for Dooling and CDR i think it does.  Or you could just do Dooling for Scal.

I love your expiring contract theory

1. Dooling is locked into reasonable dollars for a reasonable term.  You'd be lucky to get a PG in free agency at his dollar figure.

2. Scalabrine and Allen have negative trade value UNLESS the Celtics are willing to take back a bad contract, which Dooling doesn't fit.   

Would they take Scal, Allen, Giddens, and a future 2nd for Hassell, Dooling, and CDR?   I'm not sure that Giddens has shown enough to be considered an upgrade of CDR.

A reasonable team -- by that do you mean young and headed for the lottery?

Here's what Hollinger has to say on Jersey:

New Jersey Nets: New Jersey and Milwaukee were the first Eastern teams to offer a total capitulation to the economic downturn. The Nets traded Vince Carter for spare parts, slashed the salaries of any staff they hadn't already laid off and hid in a bunker the rest of the summer. Their only activity this season will be removing players, not adding them, and the result will be even more empty seats than usual in the Swamp.

Chad Ford, who lists them first for FA money in 2010, says this:

New Jersey Nets: New Jersey has one of the best opportunities to land a big-time free agent. The Nets are likely to be somewhere between $25 million and $27 million under the cap, depending on where they draft and the number of cap holds they have on their roster next summer.

They're not going to land LeBron. But they could add two very good players in FA next year to go with their young core and get much better. Dooling's 3.8mil gone would only help. Wait -- why do we want to help them? Well, a bird in the hand...

The Nets have two additional issues here. 1) They have two PGs who are better, Devin Harris and Rafer Alston, and 2) for no good reason whatsoever, they have 15 players under contract, so they can't pick up a guy, or do a one for two trade, because there's no way Rattner is paying players to walk.

All I'm saying is -- the Nets are currently cutting costs and looking to build around Harris, Lopez and Lee. Not sure why we should be surprised if they traded Dooling for a younger player and more cap flexibility.

I'd also be willing to take Sean Williams off their hands in a Tony Allen trade if the negative trade value factor is an issue. No one's got less trade value than Mr. Williams.

Scal and Tony for Dooling and Williams works, and the Celtics could throw in the cash their saving on the lux tax this year to make up for the difference in 2009 salary.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2009, 09:20:30 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Don't see how this makes sense for New Jersey. We get a player and they get a $2.5 million waste of space. But I guess the expiring money might help Brooklyn land LeBron, so who knows?

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2009, 09:27:32 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Don't see how this makes sense for New Jersey. We get a player and they get a $2.5 million waste of space. But I guess the expiring money might help Brooklyn land LeBron, so who knows?

As I said in a previous post, NJ really needs to find a way to move Dooling and/or Najera. The reason for this is that the salary cap lowering will really make it really hard for NJ to be the big FA players they have been setting themselves up for. The only other option would be to renounce some of his players with team options, which would be a mistake in my opinion since they have a decent group of young players. Plus, some of those options they have to pick-up this October or so.

By moving Dooling and/or Najera, they're quite safe keeping their young assets plus going after 2 max players, and maybe some change left over for someone more.

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2009, 09:37:18 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

As I said in a previous post, NJ really needs to find a way to move Dooling and/or Najera. The reason for this is that the salary cap lowering will really make it really hard for NJ to be the big FA players they have been setting themselves up for. The only other option would be to renounce some of his players with team options, which would be a mistake in my opinion since they have a decent group of young players. Plus, some of those options they have to pick-up this October or so.

By moving Dooling and/or Najera, they're quite safe keeping their young assets plus going after 2 max players, and maybe some change left over for someone more.

I don't see any team being able to fit two max guys if the cap goes down to 51-53mil. And I don't think they're going to have any luck trading najara (too many years). But agreed that they have no use for either or both guys at this point in lieu of cap space.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2009, 09:54:56 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I don't see any team being able to fit two max guys if the cap goes down to 51-53mil. And I don't think they're going to have any luck trading najara (too many years). But agreed that they have no use for either or both guys at this point in lieu of cap space.

If they manage to move them, they can renounce Sean Williams keep the rest, and have about 31-33 million in cap space. Remember, not all max players are in the 17 million range, some are in the 13 million range (though usually restricted if not mistaken). The other key part is what to do with Boone.

But yeah, I think everyone trying for two max deals are in trouble. I really predict that most won't change teams.

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2009, 03:07:44 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
As I said in a previous post, NJ really needs to find a way to move Dooling and/or Najera. The reason for this is that the salary cap lowering will really make it really hard for NJ to be the big FA players they have been setting themselves up for

I agree with the premise that they will want to move Dooling.  I believe everyone agrees with that.

How did Keyon Dooling become the "immovable object"?   The guy has a reasonable term contract at very movable money.  They should be able to trade him quite easily without having to take back a salary whose only value is that they end this year.

I do agree if we offer to take back both Dooling and Najera for Allen and Scalabrine, you might have a trade they would do ... but that is because Najera is a difficult contract to move.

A reasonable team -- by that do you mean young and headed for the lottery?

I said that Dooling's contract runs for a reasonable term.  Meaning his years aren't that big of an impediment to getting a deal done.   

No matter how much Celtics fans want to believe they can trade these two for a reasonable contract guy, it isn't going to happen.  In order for Tony Allen and Brian Scalabrine to be worthwhile talents ... you will have to take back a bad contract.

Dooling = Good Contract
Najera/Hassell = Bad Contracts

One of those names will likely have to be involved.