Author Topic: Simple trade that makes sense for both teams -- Dooling for TA  (Read 9560 times)

Re: Simple trade that makes sense for both teams -- Dooling for TA
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 08:58:09 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I like Hassell, but I like Scal more. And Scal was pretty good for NJ his first years there, but our best bet would be a Tony and Giddens plus 2nd rounder for Keyon Dooling. 2 birds 1 stone. Giddens is useless right now, and with your season record a 2nd rounder for us never gets us a star. So we get rid of Tony and add our backup PG and SG on defense.

i mean, let's not get carried away on keyon dooling -- tiny archibald, he ain't.

i've poked around the league on this -- who else has a need for dooling (who would rank as a 3rd PG on most teams, but not on the Cs) who wants to take on his guaranteed salary for next year, and has a currently expiring contract to offer in return? new jersey stands to have cap space next summer, and i'm sure they wouldn't mind more...

Not only mind, the actually need more if they want to have the free-agency impact they've been looking for. As it stands now, they really have room for one max-talent player, and will have a rough time going for 2. Of course, if you want to get technical, they can just not pick-up all those team options they have, but it would be a mistake for them to do so.

They need to find ways to dump Nejera and/or Dooling, in order to keep the young talent and be able to go after 2+ max-level type of players.

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 09:16:17 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
I just think TA's value increses as the deadline gets closer.  At that time more teams will have given up on the year, and teams will have committed to going all in on the 2010 FA market. 

My vote is to play Daniels and House for the 10 available back-up PG minutes and wait for the trade deadline to maximize the 6.5 million that Scal and Tony can provide for a team longing for more cap space.

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 10:04:36 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
We're fine....Keep TA and Scal to package at the trade deadline. With their combined 6 mil plus Giddens or Walker (the odd man out at the deadline) we can nab a guy with a contract at about 7.5 mil (a decent valued player) to fill a need. Daniels will be fine at PG on offense and the 3 on defense. We are gonna be fine and if it doesnt work we can fix it near the deadline. I think we will go into the season with this lineup.

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 10:23:48 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
We're fine....Keep TA and Scal to package at the trade deadline. With their combined 6 mil plus Giddens or Walker (the odd man out at the deadline) we can nab a guy with a contract at about 7.5 mil (a decent valued player) to fill a need. Daniels will be fine at PG on offense and the 3 on defense. We are gonna be fine and if it doesnt work we can fix it near the deadline. I think we will go into the season with this lineup.

who?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 11:41:47 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
i mean, let's not get carried away on keyon dooling -- tiny archibald, he ain't.

He's still useful, which is more than Tony Allen.   If you believe that Dooling is a 3rd PG on most teams ... does that make Tony Allen a CBA player?

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 10:12:31 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
we could also give Tony Allen to them for a trade exception

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=q2pa8m

not saying it is the best idea, but it is an idea to free up a roster spot if we need one
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 05:44:13 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154

not saying it is the best idea, but it is an idea to free up a roster spot if we need one

If that would work, I think we'd do it, and flip the T.E. to Indiana for Daniels, keeping the MLE.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 06:28:26 PM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee

Why in the world would the Nets do that?

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 06:42:42 PM »

Offline NeedForSheed

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Maybe we could trade Tony to whatever team Will Bynum is on. That should keep him out of trouble.

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 06:48:10 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
W've all been batting around reasonable back-up PG ideas here: Carter, Lue, Mardy Collins, Dooling, Jason Williams, etc.

I'm most interested in Collins and Dooling, and I think Keyon would be a pretty good fit on the Cs.

Meanwhile, like we didn't already know that the Nets are in financial trouble / fully rebuilding, this from Hollinger today:

New Jersey: New Jersey and Milwaukee were the first Eastern teams to offer a total capitulation to the economic downturn. The Nets traded Vince Carter for spare parts, slashed the salaries of any staff they hadn't already laid off and hid in a bunker the rest of the summer. Their only activity this season will be removing players, not adding them, and the result will be even more empty seats than usual in the Swamp.

So, if you're New Jersey, and you have a 3rd strong PG making 3.5mil a year for 2 years, what do you do? You trade him for a talented but inconsistant flyer -- one making more than $1mil less this year and nothing next year -- at a position where you're very thin. Especially when they can't hope to take back more than one player considering they have 15 guys under contract.

I'd be happy to have dooling, and can't really see a reason why both teams wouldn't do this.

I like the idea of trading TA for Dooling.  Unfortunately, it won't work salarywise (TA's salary is 2.5M, Doolings is about $3.5M -- 125%*2.5M+100K = 3.225M), unless Cs also include Walker or Giddens.

To quote someone above: too bad we didn't do this before cutting Pruitt (b/c we could include him and then NJ could cut him).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

He's still useful, which is more than Tony Allen.   If you believe that Dooling is a 3rd PG on most teams ... does that make Tony Allen a CBA player?

Dooling is better. And they have no use for Dooling on a rebuilding team. Trading him will increase their cap space for next year. And i know TA's no Chris Roberts-Douglas, nor is he anywhere near Chris Douglas-Roberts, so he might struggle to make the Nets.

Sorry -- seriously, why couldn't TA go to the Nets and work his career around defense ala Dahntey Jones? if he gets a chance to play on a lottery team he could turn his career around. it's on the Cs where every mistake is under a microscope that he panics and fails.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 08:31:50 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
Dooling is better. And they have no use for Dooling on a rebuilding team. Trading him will increase their cap space for next year. And i know TA's no Chris Roberts-Douglas, nor is he anywhere near Chris Douglas-Roberts, so he might struggle to make the Nets.

Sorry -- seriously, why couldn't TA go to the Nets and work his career around defense ala Dahntey Jones? if he gets a chance to play on a lottery team he could turn his career around. it's on the Cs where every mistake is under a microscope that he panics and fails.

I have no qualms with the idea that Dooling is available and would be a great acquisition for this team.  I just don't believe that NJ would trade him for the right to pay Tony Allen $2.5MM next year (either way, the deal doesn't work unless we dump more salary). 

Dooling is a solid backup PG in this league making reasonable money who is versatile enough to play the 2 guard position.   

Does JR Giddens and Tony Allen for Keyon Dooling make sense? 

I would do that deal in a heartbeat.   Like I said earlier, I'd offer up Scal for Hassell to get the deal done.  IMO, Dooling on this team would be a great thing.   Versatile backup PG that you can play with House against the right 1/2 combinations. 

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 09:52:17 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I have no qualms with the idea that Dooling is available and would be a great acquisition for this team.  I just don't believe that NJ would trade him for the right to pay Tony Allen $2.5MM next year (either way, the deal doesn't work unless we dump more salary). 

Dooling is a solid backup PG in this league making reasonable money who is versatile enough to play the 2 guard position.   

Does JR Giddens and Tony Allen for Keyon Dooling make sense? 

I would do that deal in a heartbeat.   Like I said earlier, I'd offer up Scal for Hassell to get the deal done.  IMO, Dooling on this team would be a great thing.   Versatile backup PG that you can play with House against the right 1/2 combinations. 

Well they've got 15 guys under contract, so no. But if we made it Giddens and Tony for Dooling and CDR i think it does.  Or you could just do Dooling for Scal.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 01:18:46 AM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
Well they've got 15 guys under contract, so no. But if we made it Giddens and Tony for Dooling and CDR i think it does.  Or you could just do Dooling for Scal.

I love your expiring contract theory

1. Dooling is locked into reasonable dollars for a reasonable term.  You'd be lucky to get a PG in free agency at his dollar figure.

2. Scalabrine and Allen have negative trade value UNLESS the Celtics are willing to take back a bad contract, which Dooling doesn't fit.   

Would they take Scal, Allen, Giddens, and a future 2nd for Hassell, Dooling, and CDR?   I'm not sure that Giddens has shown enough to be considered an upgrade of CDR.

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2009, 07:42:34 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

I love your expiring contract theory

1. Dooling is locked into reasonable dollars for a reasonable term.  You'd be lucky to get a PG in free agency at his dollar figure.

2. Scalabrine and Allen have negative trade value UNLESS the Celtics are willing to take back a bad contract, which Dooling doesn't fit.   

Would they take Scal, Allen, Giddens, and a future 2nd for Hassell, Dooling, and CDR?   I'm not sure that Giddens has shown enough to be considered an upgrade of CDR.

I would leap at that deal, but no way NJ does it.  Hassell is expiring, so Cs wouldn't help NJ there, and NJ would basically be giving CDR away for free.  No way.

If NJ is really trying to cut salary, swap out Hassell for Najera and maybe NJ would be interested...
Celtics fan for life.