Author Topic: Simple trade that makes sense for both teams -- Dooling for TA  (Read 9561 times)

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
W've all been batting around reasonable back-up PG ideas here: Carter, Lue, Mardy Collins, Dooling, Jason Williams, etc.

I'm most interested in Collins and Dooling, and I think Keyon would be a pretty good fit on the Cs.

Meanwhile, like we didn't already know that the Nets are in financial trouble / fully rebuilding, this from Hollinger today:

New Jersey: New Jersey and Milwaukee were the first Eastern teams to offer a total capitulation to the economic downturn. The Nets traded Vince Carter for spare parts, slashed the salaries of any staff they hadn't already laid off and hid in a bunker the rest of the summer. Their only activity this season will be removing players, not adding them, and the result will be even more empty seats than usual in the Swamp.

So, if you're New Jersey, and you have a 3rd strong PG making 3.5mil a year for 2 years, what do you do? You trade him for a talented but inconsistant flyer -- one making more than $1mil less this year and nothing next year -- at a position where you're very thin. Especially when they can't hope to take back more than one player considering they have 15 guys under contract.

I'd be happy to have dooling, and can't really see a reason why both teams wouldn't do this.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Simple trade that makes sense for both teams -- Dooling for TA
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 05:07:33 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
I think it'd be a great pickup and an ideal move. Dooling's an excellent defender and at 6'3" can play alongside House. However, unless we have about $350,000 in trade exceptions we can add (I know we have some from the Cassell and maybe O'Bryant trades last year, but I don't think they're that much), we have to include another player, which pretty much removes New Jersey's financial incentive (if it's Walker, they save about $300,000). If they wanted to get rid of Najera too, we could add in Scalabrine and they'd save about $650,000.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 05:19:26 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'd love that deal.

Dooling is a solid shooter, defender, with some athleticism. I'm not sure he's more of a scorer than a playmaker, but he's still a legit backup either way.

Alston would be an even better fit, but it'd probably take BBD to get him.

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 05:22:35 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think it'd be a great pickup and an ideal move. Dooling's an excellent defender and at 6'3" can play alongside House. However, unless we have about $350,000 in trade exceptions we can add (I know we have some from the Cassell and maybe O'Bryant trades last year, but I don't think they're that much), we have to include another player, which pretty much removes New Jersey's financial incentive (if it's Walker, they save about $300,000). If they wanted to get rid of Najera too, we could add in Scalabrine and they'd save about $650,000.
I guess the time to do this deal would have been before August 1 so that Pruitt could have been included.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 05:23:19 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
What is a second round pick worth?  Could that even the trade?

Anyway, I bet this was explored and NJ wanted Eddie House instead which works I think.  Would you do it for Eddie?

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 05:35:47 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
What is a second round pick worth?  Could that even the trade?
No, has to be a salary. And I don't think we could sign and then trade Hudson or an undrafted rookie free agent just to even things out.

Anyway, I bet this was explored and NJ wanted Eddie House instead which works I think.  Would you do it for Eddie?

Not sure. Dooling is probably a better overall player than House, but I love Eddie, and that leaves Ray as our only guard who can shoot the 3 ball (neither Daniels nor Dooling can). Tough call but I probably would have resisted that trade.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 05:39:57 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
Not sure how this makes sense for the Nets?

Maybe if you included pieces it could make sense

To New Jersey: Tony Allen, Brian Scalabrine, JR Giddens or Bill Walker, and a future 2nd round pick.

To Boston: Keyon Dooling and Trenton Hassell

They clear $1MM this year, get a young talent in Giddens or Bill Walker, and don't have to worry about the long term contract with Dooling. 

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 05:55:38 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Not sure how this makes sense for the Nets?

Maybe if you included pieces it could make sense

To New Jersey: Tony Allen, Brian Scalabrine, JR Giddens or Bill Walker, and a future 2nd round pick.

To Boston: Keyon Dooling and Trenton Hassell

They clear $1MM this year, get a young talent in Giddens or Bill Walker, and don't have to worry about the long term contract with Dooling. 

Trenton Hassel is Garbage.

JR, and Bill could bring more to the team than Hassell.

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 06:05:01 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney

I know Hassell is garbage.  He's worse than Scalabrine and Allen AND he makes the most money next year.

That said, the deal is to get Dooling and with all due respect to the original poster ... there is about as much chance of them giving us Dooling for Allen as there is Larry Bird taking Tony Allen.  I'm not sure they would do Allen and Giddens for Dooling.  I'd do that first

That said, if saving money this year is a consideration ... I'd probably take Hassell for Scalabrine to get a legitimate backup PG in Dooling.

C - Kendrick Perkins, Rasheed Wallace, Sheldon Williams
PF - Kevin Garnett, Rasheed Wallace, Glen Davis
SF - Paul Pierce, Antonio Daniels, Bill Walker
SG - Ray Allen, Eddie House, Trenton Hassell
PG - Rajon Rondo, Keyon Dooling, Les Hudson

No matter how many times we post it ... you can't give up guys with negative trade value and get something of value.   

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 07:22:06 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I know Hassell is garbage.  He's worse than Scalabrine and Allen AND he makes the most money next year.

That said, the deal is to get Dooling and with all due respect to the original poster ... there is about as much chance of them giving us Dooling for Allen as there is Larry Bird taking Tony Allen.  I'm not sure they would do Allen and Giddens for Dooling.  I'd do that first

That said, if saving money this year is a consideration ... I'd probably take Hassell for Scalabrine to get a legitimate backup PG in Dooling.

C - Kendrick Perkins, Rasheed Wallace, Sheldon Williams
PF - Kevin Garnett, Rasheed Wallace, Glen Davis
SF - Paul Pierce, Antonio Daniels, Bill Walker
SG - Ray Allen, Eddie House, Trenton Hassell
PG - Rajon Rondo, Keyon Dooling, Les Hudson

No matter how many times we post it ... you can't give up guys with negative trade value and get something of value.   

Bird doesn't want Allen (among other reasons) because he'd be adding payroll for a guy he doesn't want. Allen for Dooling would be reducing payroll, and adding a player who has shown he can score and defend with minutes at a position where they has Courtney Lee and that's about it.

Not that many teams are going 'all in' and are willing to add a guy like Keyon to their payroll for next year.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 07:50:16 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I've always considered Dolling a 2 but, If NJ would like TA for him it would be nice addition to the bench.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 07:35:58 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I've always considered Dolling a 2 but, If NJ would like TA for him it would be nice addition to the bench.

I remember reading that NJ wanted another PG b/c they liked the minutes where Dooling and Harris were together in the backcourt.
BUT, that was before they traded away Vince for nothing. So I could see a Tony Allen for Dooling type trade, so they could free up more space for next year and hope to get that new arena or w/e(that's where Lebron and co. could end up w/JayZ)
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 08:16:50 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
Bird doesn't want Allen (among other reasons) because he'd be adding payroll for a guy he doesn't want. Allen for Dooling would be reducing payroll, and adding a player who has shown he can score and defend with minutes at a position where they has Courtney Lee and that's about it.

Not that many teams are going 'all in' and are willing to add a guy like Keyon to their payroll for next year.

1. Keyon is a solid backup PG and I'm pretty comfortable that they could get rid of him fairly easily.  He also has the versatility to play the 2 if they want him to do so.

2. Tony Allen is a turnover machine whose rate is alarming considering he is not asked to handle the ball all that much and while he has shown flashes defensively, he's also an erratic defender who doesn't understand the constructs of team defense.   Oh yeah, he's not an efficient shooter as well.   

Again, at the very minimum ... it would take either Walker OR Giddens on top of Allen to get them to sniff AND I doubt that gets it done.   

Adding Scalabrine for Hassell makes the salary component about even with Allen for Dooling that you mentioned in your original idea without them doing a 1 sided deal totally in favor of the Celtics.   

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 08:33:31 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I like Hassell, but I like Scal more. And Scal was pretty good for NJ his first years there, but our best bet would be a Tony and Giddens plus 2nd rounder for Keyon Dooling. 2 birds 1 stone. Giddens is useless right now, and with your season record a 2nd rounder for us never gets us a star. So we get rid of Tony and add our backup PG and SG on defense.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 08:53:46 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I like Hassell, but I like Scal more. And Scal was pretty good for NJ his first years there, but our best bet would be a Tony and Giddens plus 2nd rounder for Keyon Dooling. 2 birds 1 stone. Giddens is useless right now, and with your season record a 2nd rounder for us never gets us a star. So we get rid of Tony and add our backup PG and SG on defense.

i mean, let's not get carried away on keyon dooling -- tiny archibald, he ain't.

i've poked around the league on this -- who else has a need for dooling (who would rank as a 3rd PG on most teams, but not on the Cs) who wants to take on his guaranteed salary for next year, and has a currently expiring contract to offer in return? new jersey stands to have cap space next summer, and i'm sure they wouldn't mind more...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)