Author Topic: Backup PG solver!  (Read 4955 times)

Backup PG solver!
« on: August 03, 2009, 05:49:43 PM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
Clearly the C's are in need of a backup for Rondo at the point.
So my idea would be (if marbury is not able to be talked into the returning) would be to trade Tony Allen to Golden State for ACIE LAW.  A legit point guard with size and strength and balances the out the second unit.

Celtics get: Acie Law IV

Golden State gets: Tony Allen

second unit: Law, House, Daniels, Williams, Sheed
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 09:20:36 PM by Redz »

Re: Backup PG solver!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 05:55:28 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
That'd be great in theory, but I can't imagine getting any type of useful player in return for Tony Allen.  His stock is at an all-time low.

I don't think backup pg is that much of an issue.  We've got Eddie House, who played well at backup pg two years ago for our title run.  I also think this Hudson kid will have what it takes to stick around.

And on top of all that, Rondo is going to be playing 40-45 mpg anyways.

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 05:57:25 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I admit I have not seen a lot of him while he was in Atlanta, but my impression was that he really didn't seem any better than Pruitt. He does have better handles than Tony, so I wouldn't be against the trade if it happens. However, I'm still hoping to trade Tony and Scal's contract for someone a bit more impactful.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 05:58:27 PM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • KG IS THE KING
backup PG is the lowest of our priorities right now. right now Danny is focusing on the Daniels deal/signing and the Big Baby situation. maybe danny will sign a veteran during the season like he had done in the past two seasons. who knows?
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 05:59:12 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Welcome,

And answering you question,

We do dislike Tony, but not that much. Tony at one time was 12point scorer. Acie is the definition of bust.

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 06:08:25 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Clearly the C's are in need of a backup for Rondo at the point.
So my idea would be (if marbury is not able to be talked into the returning) would be to trade Tony Allen to Golden State for ACIE LAW.  A legit point guard with size and strength and balances the out the second unit.

Celtics get: Acie Law IV

Golden State gets: Tony Allen

second unit: Law, House, Daniels, Williams, Sheed

Won't be happy with that, unless BBD is signed and forces Williams further down the bench.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 06:09:09 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I agree.  Marquis Daniels is coming here either for the LLE or in a trade.  The reason the trade hasn't happened yet is because Larry Bird doesn't want Tony Allen.  So essentially Danny is saying to Larry, either we can take Marquis Daniels for nothing or for Tony Allen, and right now Larry Bird is choosing nothing.  

Golden State isn't giving us Acie Law for him.  

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 06:09:36 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i will repeat...tony allen has zero value

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 06:12:55 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Acie Law hasn't exactly shown a lot in the past two seasons. I'd be happy to acquire him and have him as a third string point guard. But depending on him to be the primary backup point guard? that looks like a big risk to me.

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 06:14:26 PM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
I appreciate the replies:   Tony Allen  needs to go because, with marquis daniels coming in (hopefully) and the developing Billy Walker and JR Giddens, there is no need for Tony Allen anymore....Acie Law as a backup for Rondo 15-20 min. a game is perfect. and Acie is not a big minute type of player, and is more of a combo, so there could be times where he and Rondo could be on the court together....And Acie Law will play better because he would be playing for Doc Rivers, and not Mike Woodson. Getting rid of Tony Allen, who could only be effective in a Don Nelson/D'Antoni type of system is why this trade seems to have equal value both ways.

Acie Law=a legit backup point, size in backcourt,and a point guard who can HIT A WIDE-OPEN JUMPSHOT (eddie house is a small shooting guard, not pg)

No Tony Allen= no more bonehead offensive possessions, more playing time for young guys such as Billy Walk and JR, and more time for Marquis.

Rondo/Law
Allen/House/Giddens
Pierce/Daniels/Walker
Garnett/(davis)/Williams/Scal
Perkins/Sheed/

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 06:17:47 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
i will repeat...tony allen has zero value

So would you do this trade? You guys are nuts. Because of Tony's "Zero" value, you are willing to take a lesser player. If Tony has "Zero" value, Acie's is in negative territory. It would be a horrible trade for us, Tony is the better player. I can't believe I just said that. Tony is the better player.

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 06:25:46 PM »

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
WE NEED A BACKUP PG

i dont see how Shelden Williams and marquis Daniels solve the baclup PG spot

and if you're comfortable with Marquis at backup PG i dont know what to tell you

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 06:28:26 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
WE NEED A BACKUP PG

and if you're comfortable with Marquis at backup PG i dont know what to tell you

... and I assume you would also have nothing to tell me if I think Shelden Williams will play backup pg...
 :D
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 07:03:24 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
WE NEED A BACKUP PG

Why is it that seemingly everyone has forgotten that we won 66 games and a world title with Eddie House playing backup pg?

The only reason Eddie played so much 2 last year is because we needed Ray to play so much 3.  Daniels solves this issue because Ray no longer needs to backup SF.

Rondo/ House
Ray/ (House or Daniels)
Pierce/ Daniels
KG/ Wallace
Perk/ Davis

That is the 9-man rotation we'll go to war with, book it. 

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 07:12:10 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
WE NEED A BACKUP PG

Why is it that seemingly everyone has forgotten that we won 66 games and a world title with Eddie House playing backup pg?

The only reason Eddie played so much 2 last year is because we needed Ray to play so much 3.  Daniels solves this issue because Ray no longer needs to backup SF.

Rondo/ House
Ray/ (House or Daniels)
Pierce/ Daniels
KG/ Wallace
Perk/ Davis

That is the 9-man rotation we'll go to war with, book it. 

This is true.  And while Eddie House was vulnerable against the full court press in 2007-2008, how often do teams really use that?  The only time I remember that consistently happening was against the Pistons team that is now dismantled.  Plus, back then, Rondo was only playing 25-30 mpg.  He should easily play 36-38 mpg in the regular season and probably 40+ in the playoffs.  If that's the case, we can get by with Eddie. 

Jokes aside, this team COULD win 65+ games in the regular season with Shelden Williams as the backup PG.  And come playoff time, I think we can survive the whopping 5-8 mpg House will play at PG with either him or Allen/Pierce/Daniels bringing the ball up the court. 

That's not to say I wouldn't be happy with another PG option, but I don't think it's this glaring weakness some people do.