Author Topic: Report: Lee unhappy in Boston due to Rondo's play style  (Read 31104 times)

Re: Report: Lee unhappy in Boston due to Rondo's play style
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2013, 09:31:57 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Also, I'm really tired of these sports "reporters" and their rumors coming from reliable, unnamed sources.  I, basically, don't believe anything anymore unless somebody is directly quoted.

Zack Lowe's the best writer going for the NBA. He might not be a 'reporter' like Woj, but he's shown to be nothing but credible.

I don't care if it's coming from Woodward and Bernstein,  I'm not going to believe in unsourced, unquoted rumors.

Not even Woj?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2013, 09:32:08 PM »

Offline kgainez

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I think this team has been underachieving for a variety of reasons and Rondo's play and Pierce's play,  are two of them, though, IMHO, they are down on the bottom of the list.

One of the things on the top of the list is the players Danny put together to make up this team. Terry and Barbosa are players that want the ball in their hands and want to score, sometimes to the detriment of a team offense. Now we have Lee and Bass complaining of touches or the offense. We also have a player that left for personal reasons and a big who is useless and another that can never stay healthy.

I think Danny messed up this summer. He never got a decent backup big man worth a [dang]. Several players in the locker room were expecting to continue to play their game, regardless of how the Celtics functioned. Danny must have thought that if KG, PP and RA would sacrifice their games to make a team better than others would too. Obviously he was wrong.

I see a house cleaning in this team's future.

nah I disagree. I think Doc messed up.

Doc has been saying since forever that he wanted to run more and wanted more athleticism because the Big 3 or 4 couldn't close out games by themselves. This is when you have a team who's bench consists of Ryan Hollins, Greg Steimsa, Marquise, Dooling, Peaches, that Sean guy (lol) and Wilcox. Not a bunch of freaks of nature there.

so DA went out and got what Doc wanted. But Doc just assumed he could run and all that with the system he had but that's an untruth. Especially with the players he has.

Like I said. And I will continue to say. This team needed a shake up to get Docs attention. This could be a blessing in disguise because right now Doc is saying all the right things (doesn't mean he will do it).

Take the 2nd unit for example. Best unit we got. Why? They run. They play loose. They have pace. Copy and paste that for all...we win games. We compete. We can *gasp* contend

« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2013, 09:34:25 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Rondo has a dominant personality and when he's on the floor we are a point guard dominant team. He dictates everything.

I love Rondo, want him as a Celtic long term. But I would use his talents differently than they're currently being used.

1. I would keep the hard push on the break with him at the head, that's a no brainer.

2. I'd use him a lot more in pick and rolls and try to get him into the lane more - somewhere he doesn't go as often as I'd like.

3. I'd have a lot less of him pounding the ball and would like to see more motion in the offense with Rondo doing some of the slashing and cutting with other guys being given the chance to create as well. Green on the wing, Lee on the drive, Sully in the post, cutters around him.

With Rondo out - other players are going to now feel more freedom to be assertive and aggressive. Whether they're successful as a unit remains to be seen. But we could see some nice games from multiple players start to happen.

And I could understand why players feel restricted in our offense with Rondo pounding the ball at the top.

In the end though, the ideal scenario would be to maximize Rondo's drive and dish ability in the break and in the half court while also allowing more creativity and involvement.   

My two cents from the arm chair.

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2013, 09:39:20 PM »

Offline Juneauz

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
Even though I don't believe this kind of rumor...

There's one very easy solution: trade Lee!

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2013, 09:39:32 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Also, I'm really tired of these sports "reporters" and their rumors coming from reliable, unnamed sources.  I, basically, don't believe anything anymore unless somebody is directly quoted.

Zack Lowe's the best writer going for the NBA. He might not be a 'reporter' like Woj, but he's shown to be nothing but credible.

I don't care if it's coming from Woodward and Bernstein,  I'm not going to believe in unsourced, unquoted rumors.

Not even Woj?

If he's writing stuff about "what his sources tell him" without quoting or naming those sources, I'm going to be doubtful, for sure. 

I've always taken "unnamed sources" as Inquirer style journalism.  I'll bet if and when Courtney Lee is asked about these rumors, he'll flatly deny them.  Of course, at that point, most people will just say he's just lying and choose to believe Zach Lowe's "sources" instead. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2013, 09:39:47 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

What sports 'insider' quotes their source directly? If you don't like it -- then don't listen / read. You'll know less about the realities of your team off the court, but at least you won't be violating your own personal if unusual and otherwise nonsensical standards for insider reporting practices.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2013, 09:40:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think this team has been underachieving for a variety of reasons and Rondo's play and Pierce's play,  are two of them, though, IMHO, they are down on the bottom of the list.

One of the things on the top of the list is the players Danny put together to make up this team. Terry and Barbosa are players that want the ball in their hands and want to score, sometimes to the detriment of a team offense. Now we have Lee and Bass complaining of touches or the offense. We also have a player that left for personal reasons and a big who is useless and another that can never stay healthy.

I think Danny messed up this summer. He never got a decent backup big man worth a [dang]. Several players in the locker room were expecting to continue to play their game, regardless of how the Celtics functioned. Danny must have thought that if KG, PP and RA would sacrifice their games to make a team better than others would too. Obviously he was wrong.

ORRRRRRRRR, we can try and coax Rondo to stop pounding the ball for 20 seconds of the offense, and move the ball like basketball was intended to be played, and get the most of out this team.

How a team with Terry isn't running pick-and-roll plays with KG constantly is beyond me.
The whole Rondo pounds the ball too much and its his fault is complete hogwash IMO. People have been saying it for 2-3 years now because 2-3 times a game it happens.

But why does it happen? Could the other team's defense have anything to do with it? Could players not moving off the ball have anything to do with it? Could players not running the play right have anything to do with it? Could players not be open have anything to do with it? Or could Rondo seeing certain players looking for a shot that they can't hit or knows they will break the play to play hero ball have anything to do with it?

Of course they do? But people see a few plays a game where rondo is dribbling and its all on Rondo? Right!!

Not saying he doesn't over dribble on occasion or miss the wide open man but he doesn't just pound the ball and ruin the C's offense as much as people say.

Rondo's a [dang] smart basketball player. He knows this team can't succeed with just lazily shooting mid range jumpers, which is what just about the whole roster wants to do. If he holds it, maybe its because he is waiting for a player to get in the post or looking for a cutter going to the basket which this team needs desperately.

I just think this whole "Rondo just pounds the ball" is an easy way to scapegoat Rondo and doesn't look at the big picture of what is really happening on the court.

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2013, 09:42:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Doc has been saying since forever that he wanted to run more and wanted more athleticism because the Big 3 or 4 couldn't close out games by themselves. This is when you have a team who's bench consists of Ryan Hollins, Greg Steimsa, Marquise, Dooling, Peaches, that Sean guy (lol) and Wilcox. Not a bunch of freaks of nature there.

so DA went out and got what Doc wanted. But Doc just assumed he could run and all that with the system he had but that's an untruth. Especially with the players he has.

Like I said. And I will continue to say. This team needed a shake up to get Docs attention. This could be a blessing in disguise because right now Doc is saying all the right things (doesn't mean he will do it).

Take the 2nd unit for example. Best unit we got. Why? They run. They play loose. They have pace. Copy and paste that for all...we win games. We compete. We can *gasp* contend
I think this second unit is rather awful. They have some nice career stats but as a cohesive unit, they suck.

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2013, 09:48:47 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I think this second unit is rather awful. They have some nice career stats but as a cohesive unit, they suck.

The 2nd unit has been outplaying the starters for quite a bit now.

ORRRRRRRRR, we can try and coax Rondo to stop pounding the ball for 20 seconds of the offense, and move the ball like basketball was intended to be played, and get the most of out this team.

How a team with Terry isn't running pick-and-roll plays with KG constantly is beyond me.
The whole Rondo pounds the ball too much and its his fault is complete hogwash IMO. People have been saying it for 2-3 years now because 2-3 times a game it happens.

But why does it happen? Could the other team's defense have anything to do with it? Could players not moving off the ball have anything to do with it? Could players not running the play right have anything to do with it? Could players not be open have anything to do with it? Or could Rondo seeing certain players looking for a shot that they can't hit or knows they will break the play to play hero ball have anything to do with it?

Of course they do? But people see a few plays a game where rondo is dribbling and its all on Rondo? Right!!

Not saying he doesn't over dribble on occasion or miss the wide open man but he doesn't just pound the ball and ruin the C's offense as much as people say.

Rondo's a [dang] smart basketball player. He knows this team can't succeed with just lazily shooting mid range jumpers, which is what just about the whole roster wants to do. If he holds it, maybe its because he is waiting for a player to get in the post or looking for a cutter going to the basket which this team needs desperately.

I just think this whole "Rondo just pounds the ball" is an easy way to scapegoat Rondo and doesn't look at the big picture of what is really happening on the court.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever complained about playing with Nash, Kidd, or Paul? The former two widely regarded pass first PGs, the last one also in that category, but who was tasked to take a bigger role scoring wise and stayed there.

I just find it quite curious, that someone like Terry and Lee seem uncomfortable playing with Rondo, a pass first PG, someone who both have mentioned as one of their primordial reasons for wanting to come to Boston and seemingly finding it disappointing.

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2013, 09:50:41 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

What sports 'insider' quotes their source directly? If you don't like it -- then don't listen / read. You'll know less about the realities of your team off the court, but at least you won't be violating your own personal if unusual and otherwise nonsensical standards for insider reporting practices.

I don't read them.  But, I have the right to point out to my fellow CelticsBloggers that just because somebody wrote it or said it, doesn't necessarily make it true.

That's all. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2013, 09:51:49 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Well with Rondo out we are going to see. If Lee and other underachievers play well with Rondo out we will know that he was right and the offense needs to be restructured. If not then he was wrong and has nothing to complain about. Essentially Lee will need to put up or shut up.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2013, 09:52:49 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
For the record, if anything I think Lee is more displeased with a system that allows Rondo to pound the ball as much as he does rather than playing with Rondo himself.

« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2013, 09:58:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Players have complained about playing with MJ, Kobe, Shaq, Deron Williams, Isiah Thomas, etc. Just because some players complain about a player doesn't mean that they have just cause to do so.

Williams is a great offensive facilitator. Lots of players have complained about him. His coach retired because of him. Doesn't make him less of a great PG.

BTW, go back to when Paul was in New Orleans and go read about the complaints of him dribbling the ball too much and taking a last minute shot too much on ESPN and Hornets blogs.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:04:38 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2013, 09:58:56 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Knew it. His best games were always when Rondo was out, remember?

Interestingly, two of his best four games by "game score" were indeed when Rondo was out. 

Hardly surprising, one would expect Green to put up better numbers if PP was out of the lineup.

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2013, 10:01:35 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Idk how much i believe he was unhappy but i do beleive that he will have better stats with Rondo not in the picture anymore. Along with Jason Terry and Jeff Green. The ball is going to be in their hand a bit more to have to make plays and I think the three of them are capeable.