Author Topic: (off topic) new workout routine?  (Read 9922 times)

Re: (off topic) new workout routine?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 11:45:07 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Don't do more than 12 reps, that is pointless. You are training for hypertrophy, which is the 6-12 rep range depending on the exercise and weight. You aren't training for cardiovascular endurance. If you can put up a weight 15 times, it is more about muscle endurance than growth.
The only reason I suggested 12+ is because he said he wanted to trim down the bulk a little bit, so I thought endurance training may do him good in stretches.

Otherwise, I agree that 6-8 is usually the right way to go.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 12:12:19 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I did p90 for a little and didn't watch what I ate and gained bulk in the shoulder area and you could see 6 pack coming through. I need to get back on it, but hard to find motivation. Also didn't have free weights to work with and I would rather use those instead of bands. But my buddy is back from school and he has a workout room so it looks like I am going to get back into as soon as my summer league of basketball is over. I am 21 5'10 155 pounds. I want to get up to about 165 trimed up though not all bulk. Also my biggest thing is what is good to eat when i do start working out. Thanks!

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 12:30:56 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
OP, are you looking for different exercises to do when hitting each muscle group, or an alternative to going to the gym? If it is the former, what are are you currently doing at the gym each seperate day? What is your height, weight, and body fat percentage? What's your diet like?

As a gym rat I could probably help you switch up a mundane routine and make things more exciting. I could also help you with food tips to reach the goals you mentioned in another post which generally derive from good dieting
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 12:54:22 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
OP, are you looking for different exercises to do when hitting each muscle group, or an alternative to going to the gym? If it is the former, what are are you currently doing at the gym each seperate day? What is your height, weight, and body fat percentage? What's your diet like?

As a gym rat I could probably help you switch up a mundane routine and make things more exciting. I could also help you with food tips to reach the goals you mentioned in another post which generally derive from good dieting

Mostly different exercises or routine. I am a gym rat myself so I enjoy going to the gym and am not really interested in home workouts. I'm interested in the DC training but it seems a little too complicated. Mostly something a little unique as well away from the typical 3 sets of 8-12 rep range.

I've been doing recently one power set followed by two exercises in the form of a superset. (ex. on chest day I'll do bench for 4-6 reps 3 times or so by itself then after i do bench flys and superset the flys with push ups)

I'm 5'9 about 160ish. Had bulked up to nearly 175 but cut my cals down and over a couple months I came down to my current weight. Haven't checked my bf in a little while but last I checked I was about 11%

Diet is pretty clean, mostly lean proteins and a majority of my carbs are eaten around workout time.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 03:22:06 PM »

Offline Las Vegas Asian

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 6
Have you looked into Crossfit? They have a different Workout of the Day, very challenging and will probably keep you from getting bored.

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 04:11:36 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Just wanted to mention that I started a sledgehammer routine and it's really awesome.

All you need a sledgehammer and an appropriate tire.  I've started with an 8 lb sledge but you can move up if you find you need more weight. I am using a truck tire.  Tractor tires are recommended and would be better but for now the truck tire is working fine.  With a larger sledge I'm sure you'd need the tractor tire.

You strike the tire with swings in sets.  I do a routine of 20 swings then 10 seconds of rest 10 times.  I end up resting a bit more as a I go deeper in but I'll build up to removing that I hope.

Anyways, it's quite fun and you really feel it in your shoulders, arms, and forearms and even hands.  Also works your core.  If you keep a good rate up it's really good for strength and conditioning.

I recommend trying it out if you are looking for something different.  Check out this page for more info and a video:

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/sledge.html
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 05:01:07 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Just wanted to mention that I started a sledgehammer routine and it's really awesome.

All you need a sledgehammer and an appropriate tire.  I've started with an 8 lb sledge but you can move up if you find you need more weight. I am using a truck tire.  Tractor tires are recommended and would be better but for now the truck tire is working fine.  With a larger sledge I'm sure you'd need the tractor tire.

You strike the tire with swings in sets.  I do a routine of 20 swings then 10 seconds of rest 10 times.  I end up resting a bit more as a I go deeper in but I'll build up to removing that I hope.

Anyways, it's quite fun and you really feel it in your shoulders, arms, and forearms and even hands.  Also works your core.  If you keep a good rate up it's really good for strength and conditioning.

I recommend trying it out if you are looking for something different.  Check out this page for more info and a video:

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/sledge.html

Weird, I'm more into the traditional weights but that sure seems interesting!
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2012, 05:10:32 PM »

Offline craigsagersuit

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 14
I'm currently doing a 3 day split with full body workouts, and I try to work on my vertical/cardio on my "rest" days. It works better for me imo. I feel more energized after my workouts haha.