Author Topic: To the Hayward naysayers  (Read 4192 times)

To the Hayward naysayers
« on: February 18, 2020, 03:35:53 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
When on the floor, Hayward is the team’s most versatile player. Capable of running the offense, he can calmly dictate the pace of play while setting his teammates up for high quality scoring opportunities. No shock then, that his usage rating is in the 82nd percentile league wide according to Cleaning the Glass. Impressively, Hayward’s usage rating directly correlates to his assist numbers too, where he is sitting at the 89th percentile with 18 percent of his teammates shots coming directly off a Hayward feed.

When the pass isn’t there for Gordon, he is a fearsome prospect from the mid-range and around the rim. Ranking in the top 8 percent of players around the rim, Hayward is connecting on 70 percent of his looks (97-for-139 in total). Step out to the mid-range and he is still a huge problem, ranking in the 91st percentile and connecting on 49 percent of his attempts.

Shooting from deep, Hayward is respectable, dropping 39 percent of his attempts from across the floor when behind the arc. It’s the corners, however, that really elevate Hayward into a deep range threat. Currently operating as a 42 percent shooter when he is found in the corners, Hayward is punishing defenses for anticipating the drive or pass.

But please go on saying Hayward has been awful this season.

https://www.celticsblog.com/2020/2/17/21139729/boston-celtics-midseason-progress-report-gordon-hayward
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: To the Hayward naysayers
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 03:45:28 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I honestly believe he could have been an all-star if his momentum wasn't disrupted by that hand injury. I'm too lazy to do it myself, but I wonder what his stats would look like if you took out the first 5-10 games coming back from injury.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 04:34:03 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I love the dude....hope he stays in BOS long-term. He was supposed to be a part of THIS Big Three

Reportedly as a player sought out by Kyrie himself, IIRC..

Then THAT Big Three became this

And - while we WISHED that The Jays would be All-Stars one day we NOW have a CERTAIN future of All-Star appearances of these two....and of course Kyrie and Al are no longer with us and are enemies.

I certainly did not see THAT coming.

A couple of years ago I doubted that The Young Jays would be The Celtics Future. I think this is NOW becoming a certainty.

Here's hoping that our "GLUE" can remain in BOS as well, in Gordon Hayward. We are better with him....contracts not considered.

I don't spend Wyc's money, of course, but IIRC I remember him stating that he'd spend for a contender......"IF" this team makes it to June and COMPETES....even IF we lose in June....I hope we can keep EVERYONE somehow.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 04:41:26 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
I love the dude....hope he stays in BOS long-term. He was supposed to be a part of THIS Big Three

Reportedly as a player sought out by Kyrie himself, IIRC..

Then THAT Big Three became this

And - while we WISHED that The Jays would be All-Stars one day we NOW have a CERTAIN future of All-Star appearances of these two....and of course Kyrie and Al are no longer with us and are enemies.

I certainly did not see THAT coming.

A couple of years ago I doubted that The Young Jays would be The Celtics Future. I think this is NOW becoming a certainty.

Here's hoping that our "GLUE" can remain in BOS as well, in Gordon Hayward. We are better with him....contracts not considered.

I don't spend Wyc's money, of course, but IIRC I remember him stating that he'd spend for a contender......"IF" this team makes it to June and COMPETES....even IF we lose in June....I hope we can keep EVERYONE somehow.
I honestly believe he could have been an all-star if his momentum wasn't disrupted by that hand injury. I'm too lazy to do it myself, but I wonder what his stats would look like if you took out the first 5-10 games coming back from injury.

TP to you both.

I absolutely love Gordon, and I think the amount of animosity + criticism that he received during his time is almost downright crazy. Reddit and realGM did not lightly give Hayward any breathing room last year at all.

He definitely makes our team better, and he's the type of All-Star that is absolutely unselfish, great teammate, and awesome father.

If Wyc is serious about contending, you absolutely must bring him back.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 05:07:28 PM »

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
I absolutely love Gordon, and I think the amount of animosity + criticism that he received during his time is almost downright crazy. Reddit and realGM did not lightly give Hayward any breathing room last year at all.

On the other hand, it's somewhat reasonable to expect a wee bit more than 11-4-3 for the season when you're making $31m. Especially when it felt a bit like he was being force-fed minutes to get him back into his rhythm at the expense of other players, despite not looking great for the vast majority of those minutes.

Happy to see him playing much better this year though.  :)

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 05:31:38 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34

On the other hand, it's somewhat reasonable to expect a wee bit more than 11-4-3 for the season when you're making $31m. Especially when it felt a bit like he was being force-fed minutes to get him back into his rhythm at the expense of other players, despite not looking great for the vast majority of those minutes.

It's fair to point to Hayward's production and say he doesn't fit his contract... However I think it's worth noting, Hayward seems to be the most willing to sacrifice his shots for the sake of keeping chemistry high.  He's filled a great role for us as an efficient scorer and secondary playmaker.  He's played very well this year, and his willingness to be the 3rd or 4th option has allowed Tatum and Brown to really step into big time roles that wasn't possible with Kyrie.

Kemba has also seemed very willing to let Tatum and Brown be the big time players, so he deserves some recognition for this as well.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 05:42:12 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

On the other hand, it's somewhat unreasonable to expect a wee bit more than 11-4-3 for the season when you're coming off a serious injury, relegated to 4th option, and played like 8 MPG along with 5 less FGA. There were also numerous countless times where players literally wouldn't even pass to him when he's wide open. I think a lot of posters here can attest to that.

Our team last year was a result of having too many mouths to feed.

But I do agree with your points, I'm not referencing your original words to be sarcastic. I just think 2018-2019 was a year I'd like to forget.

It's fair to point to Hayward's production and say he doesn't fit his contract... However I think it's worth noting, Hayward seems to be the most willing to sacrifice his shots for the sake of keeping chemistry high.  He's filled a great role for us as an efficient scorer and secondary playmaker.  He's played very well this year, and his willingness to be the 3rd or 4th option has allowed Tatum and Brown to really step into big time roles that wasn't possible with Kyrie.

Kemba has also seemed very willing to let Tatum and Brown be the big time players, so he deserves some recognition for this as well.

100% agreed.

Kemba and Hayward are the perfect veterans to have, because they enjoy success and want others to succeed as well. That's what makes our team so great, and once everything clicks... Whoo.. Watch out NBA.

As Channing Tatum said in Coach Carter:

Jason Lyle: You said we're a team. One person struggles, we all struggle. One person triumphs, we all triumph

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 06:00:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Love Gordy. He absolutely unlocks this team on the offensive end, as his passing allows Kemba to work off the ball while the Jays do their thing.

I think his performance, alongside JT’s, is what could make us contend
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 06:11:35 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I know there are people who claim he is too passive, too injury prone, overpaid, and/or wanted to balance the roster by trading him for a big man, but I think even the biggest Hayward critics would agree that he has been productive this season. If not for the hand injury, he probably had an outside shot at the All-Star game.

I love seeing Hayward succeed and seeing his success backed up by stats. The biggest issue with him moving forward is how we are going to pay him while also staying under the luxury tax so we can re-start the clock. Otherwise, I am all for him being here long-term as a veteran leader, a facilitator, and a great all-around player.

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 06:15:22 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82
Any update on Hayward's ankle since he got that cortisone shot about a month or so ago?

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 06:18:22 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Any update on Hayward's ankle since he got that cortisone shot about a month or so ago?

Are you talking about this?
"He just has a toe/foot (injury). It's right there where your toe connects with your foot," Ainge told "Toucher & Rich." "But it's just some pain, and we're trying to figure out what it is.

"He had a cortisone shot (Friday) hoping that that would make it better, but it actually made it worse. So, we're trying to figure all that out. But nobody knows exactly what the issue is."

That's not a very encouraging update considering Hayward first got an MRI on the foot a few weeks ago while he was sidelined with a hand injury.

Blakely's C's-Mavs Takeaways: Kemba delivers when it matters
Ainge insisted Hayward's foot injury was in no way related to the dislocated ankle he suffered two years ago, but suggested Hayward may have made his foot worse while rehabbing from that hand injury.

"He was doing a lot of work. Maybe he was doing too much work, even. I'm not sure," Ainge said. "But again, I don't know the answer to that. I don't think Gordon knows exactly what caused it."

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 08:19:56 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I haven't seen any update, but he seems to be playing really well, no signs of injury at the moment.

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 08:42:56 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I know there are people who claim he is too passive, too injury prone, overpaid, and/or wanted to balance the roster by trading him for a big man, but I think even the biggest Hayward critics would agree that he has been productive this season. If not for the hand injury, he probably had an outside shot at the All-Star game.

I love seeing Hayward succeed and seeing his success backed up by stats. The biggest issue with him moving forward is how we are going to pay him while also staying under the luxury tax so we can re-start the clock. Otherwise, I am all for him being here long-term as a veteran leader, a facilitator, and a great all-around player.

lol the biggest Hayward critics here have continuously refused to admit that.

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 08:55:36 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I just wish he played better in the big games

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 09:01:49 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

lol the biggest Hayward critics here have continuously refused to admit that.
"Trade Hayward for Drummond!!!"
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum