Author Topic: Joel Embiid  (Read 7836 times)

Re: Joel Embiid
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2020, 02:25:41 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
With all respect to PP, Tatum is on a track to be the greatest Celtic since Larry Bird. The way he's improving, IMO, it won't even be arguable in a year or two.
Ehm what about KG?

Anyway, I wouldn't want the C's to sacrifice Tatum for Embiid. Tatum hardly ever misses a game. Embiid is an injury waiting to happen. I would however consider a trade around Brown or Kemba for Simmons (assuming the Sixers decide he's the odd man out).
^^^besides trading Brown for Simmons. I think Brown's going to be a great complementary star even if he doesn't hit his ceiling, and that holds more value than a homeless man's Giannis.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2020, 02:56:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Thread shows just how short-term in their thinking some fans are.

We have a guy emerging as an all-nba wing in an era where the perimeter game is king, and some want to trade him for a guy who can't stay on the floor consistently, has been hampered by injuries his entire career. With all respect to PP, Tatum is on a track to be the greatest Celtic since Larry Bird. The way he's improving, IMO, it won't even be arguable in a year or two.

Philly has nothing on their roster that I'd trade Tatum for. Ainge won't trade Tatum, and Philly is reportedly shopping Embiid. Not sure what else we need to know about Embiid.

Yeah... I am a bit baffled when people think Embid is going to somehow magically turn this around and become more durable in his 6th season.
I stand by my point that if Boston makes the trade I proposed in this thread (i.e. Embiid, Bolden for Tatum, Theis, Kanter, Langford, and Poirier), this summer, Boston will be in the class of Milwaukee and both LA's next year, if not the outright favorite.  That isn't based on an assumption that Embiid is miraculously going to play 80 games.  He doesn't have to.  He does have to be healthy for the playoffs (which isn't a given), but Boston can cruise through the regular season with Embiid playing like 65 games and still be among the favorites to win the championship.  I just think the odds of Boston winning a championship at any time are increased by swapping Tatum for Embiid and for me winning championships is what truly matters.  I don't want to waste Walker and Hayward's best years waiting for Tatum and to a lesser extent Brown to reach their full potential.  I want to try to win, while the team has a lot of quality players at the top.

Guards - Walker, Smart, Wanamaker, Waters, Edwards
Wings/Swings - Hayward, Brown, Semi, G. Williams
Bigs - Embiid, R. Williams, Bolden

3 open roster spots (plus the TW) to be used on the MLE, 3 1st round picks, Fall and Green.

That team, especially with a quality MLE power forward just strikes me like a champion.  And that is what I want.  We are a decade from the last time Boston could have realistically won the title (and that was the last Finals appearance).  12 years since the last title.  It is time to move this team back into realistic contention. 

And let's be clear, I'm the guy that has been saying all season that Tatum is Boston's best and most valuable player.  I love Tatum, but he isn't in Embiid's class as a player, at least not yet, and I just worry by the time he is, Boston won't have the players around him it needs to really be a contender.  I've been saying for years Ainge needs to really pick a direction and he still hasn't done it.  It is time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2020, 03:06:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

We have a guy emerging as an all-nba wing in an era where the perimeter game is king, and some want to trade him for a guy who can't stay on the floor consistently, has been hampered by injuries his entire career. With all respect to PP, Tatum is on a track to be the greatest Celtic since Larry Bird. The way he's improving, IMO, it won't even be arguable in a year or two.

Philly has nothing on their roster that I'd trade Tatum for. Ainge won't trade Tatum, and Philly is reportedly shopping Embiid. Not sure what else we need to know about Embiid.

Yeah... I am a bit baffled when people think Embid is going to somehow magically turn this around and become more durable in his 6th season.
I stand by my point that if Boston makes the trade I proposed in this thread (i.e. Embiid, Bolden for Tatum, Theis, Kanter, Langford, and Poirier), this summer, Boston will be in the class of Milwaukee and both LA's next year, if not the outright favorite.  That isn't based on an assumption that Embiid is miraculously going to play 80 games.  He doesn't have to.  He does have to be healthy for the playoffs (which isn't a given), but Boston can cruise through the regular season with Embiid playing like 65 games and still be among the favorites to win the championship.  I just think the odds of Boston winning a championship at any time are increased by swapping Tatum for Embiid and for me winning championships is what truly matters.  I don't want to waste Walker and Hayward's best years waiting for Tatum and to a lesser extent Brown to reach their full potential.  I want to try to win, while the team has a lot of quality players at the top.

Guards - Walker, Smart, Wanamaker, Waters, Edwards
Wings/Swings - Hayward, Brown, Semi, G. Williams
Bigs - Embiid, R. Williams, Bolden

3 open roster spots (plus the TW) to be used on the MLE, 3 1st round picks, Fall and Green.

That team, especially with a quality MLE power forward just strikes me like a champion.  And that is what I want.  We are a decade from the last time Boston could have realistically won the title (and that was the last Finals appearance).  12 years since the last title.  It is time to move this team back into realistic contention. 

And let's be clear, I'm the guy that has been saying all season that Tatum is Boston's best and most valuable player.  I love Tatum, but he isn't in Embiid's class as a player, at least not yet, and I just worry by the time he is, Boston won't have the players around him it needs to really be a contender.  I've been saying for years Ainge needs to really pick a direction and he still hasn't done it.  It is time.

Tatum is having a better season than Embid this year (who, at best, has plateaued from last year). Tatum has improved a tremendous amount from last year to this year. I am a lot more confident he will be even more improved next year. He literally had 39 points on elite shooting with 9 rebounds and played good defense leading us to a win over one of the best teams in the league. How much better does he have to get? What are you watching?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 04:00:46 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2020, 03:15:10 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Tatum>Embiid

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2020, 04:07:31 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
With all respect to PP, Tatum is on a track to be the greatest Celtic since Larry Bird. The way he's improving, IMO, it won't even be arguable in a year or two.
Ehm, what about KG?

Anyway, I wouldn't want the C's to sacrifice Tatum for Embiid. Tatum hardly ever misses a game. Embiid is an injury waiting to happen. I would however consider a trade around Brown or Kemba for Simmons (assuming the Sixers decide he's the odd man out).
KG was an all time great, but he was already in decline when we got him. I wouldn't elevate him over PP.

To my point, I don't think JT is better now than PP at his prime, but looking at what many of us expect him to be, he's more talented and that talent is obviously developing.

No way I'd trade Brown for Simmons, either. For all his great talents, until/unless NBA changes 3 pt rules, Simmons is a huge liability in some regards. With the game on the line, he's usually a non-factor. I'm just glad Philly let Butler walk, because Butler + either of their big 2 is a much stronger team than what they have now.

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2020, 04:12:32 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Quote from: Moranis
In a vacuum, Embiid is better than Tatum. Here's the problem though: Unlike the Celtics, the Sixers have full access to Embiid's medical records. Why on earth would they make Embiid available, unless they know that he can't stay healthy?

Personally speaking, I would never trust the Sixers in a trade for Embiid. If Embiid becomes available, chances are that the Sixers know something that
the C's don't.

Fwiw, Bolden no longer plays for the Sixers. They waived him on February 7 in order to make way for Burks-Robinson.

KG was an all time great, but he was already in decline when we got him. I wouldn't elevate him over PP.
Gimme 2007-2008 KG over any season of PP.

KG was a 2-way player. He could play D/score/grab rebounds/pass the ball, he could do it all. Imo, PP was a better scorer/shooter than KG, but he was worse in everything else.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 05:06:40 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2020, 05:20:52 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Tatum is our best player now. I don't want to lose his best years worrying about Gordon and Kemba's remaining years. Everything the organization does should be about building around him.

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2020, 06:17:51 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Quote from: Moranis
In a vacuum, Embiid is better than Tatum. Here's the problem though: Unlike the Celtics, the Sixers have full access to Embiid's medical records. Why on earth would they make Embiid available, unless they know that he can't stay healthy?

Personally speaking, I would never trust the Sixers in a trade for Embiid. If Embiid becomes available, chances are that the Sixers know something that
the C's don't.

Fwiw, Bolden no longer plays for the Sixers. They waived him on February 7 in order to make way for Burks-Robinson.

Gimme 2007-2008 KG over any season of PP.

KG was a 2-way player. He could play D/score/grab rebounds/pass the ball, he could do it all. Imo, PP was a better scorer/shooter than KG, but he was worse in everything else.

Paul is just as valuable as KG in his own right.  They were the absolute perfect complementary stars to have on a team together.  As great as KG is, he was just never a player to completely take over a game like Pierce could, same thing when it comes down to the last possesions of a game, Im giving the ball to Pierce not KG.

Yes when it comes down to it, if I had to pick, I take Garnett.  And Yes Garnett changed the teams culture and attitude, but even with all that, if we dont have Paul Pierce, we lose to the Cavaliers in the 2008 Conf Semis
Greg

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2020, 08:42:11 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

TP

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2020, 09:04:59 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Tatum is our best player now. I don't want to lose his best years worrying about Gordon and Kemba's remaining years. Everything the organization does should be about building around him.

Exactly. He’s our Dirk Nowitzki. Our Kobe Bryant. Our Tim Duncan. You build around Tatum and find the pieces that fit. I think Kemba is a great fit beside JT as is Marcus Smart.

I’d trade JB+picks for Embiid, if he was made available. Hard to top a package surrounding JB imo
- LilRip