Author Topic: Killian Hayes worked out for Celtics; athleticism a letdown  (Read 7498 times)

Re: Killian Hayes worked out for Celtics; athleticism a letdown
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2020, 11:09:20 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
I mean, if he’s there at 14 we take him, right?  It just seems like very good value.

10/10 times

Hayes is going to be a very very good player.

the Athleticism thing is not a big issue to me personally. He has exceptional court awareness, is an excellent playmaker and is very intelligent.

An absolute steal at 14.

I might have Halliburton above him as a pg, but at some points I dont.

The thing with Danny is... When was the last time he drafted a non above average athlete/explosiveness with the 1st pick of the 1st round?

Maybe Jared Sullinger?   

He reached for Terry Rozier at 16 even though there were several prospects (not quite the athlete) but considered higher ranked.  He took a gamble on Timelord due to elite verticality etc.  He drafted Langford over Alexandre-Walker.  Ainge does like his above average athletes.  Otherwise prospects with strength.   

He is a three level scorer though, Danny likes those.

great link to a breakdown on him

https://www.thestepien.com/2020/02/14/killian-hayes-scouting-report-collaboration/

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2020, 11:15:34 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Danny is a good drafter when he has high picks. When he has middle round picks like last year and this year his track record is terrible.

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2020, 11:17:06 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Danny is a good drafter when he has high picks. When he has middle round picks like last year and this year his track record is terrible.

Cue the Terry Rozier posts.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2020, 11:20:30 AM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16

I don't know if it has been consistently terrible.  Big Al Jefferson was chosen at 15, the same year Delonte and Tony Allen were chosen.  Avery Bradley was chosen at 19.  Rondo was chosen by Phoenix for the Cs in the 20s. 

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2020, 11:21:02 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Terry was a comet. Had a great playoffs and that was it. That next year he was dreadful.

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2020, 11:26:46 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • MASTER OF PANIC

I don't know if it has been consistently terrible.  Big Al Jefferson was chosen at 15, the same year Delonte and Tony Allen were chosen.  Avery Bradley was chosen at 19.  Rondo was chosen by Phoenix for the Cs in the 20s.

Bradley was made of glass.
Tony was ok. Al also.

Pruitt, Giddens, Yabu, zizic, sullinger, fab melo, hunter, Lucas nogueria, James young, Langford, brooks

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2020, 11:34:52 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

and let us not forget perk, e'twan moore (2nd round), powe, sullinger, and you might be inclined to include the two current williams.

given the nba average of "hits" for the mid to late draft, ainge is clearly above league average.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2020, 11:37:57 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Terry was a comet. Had a great playoffs and that was it. That next year he was dreadful.

That was because of Kyme.  Kyrie messed up lots of young Celtics players progressions

Rozier had a strong season last year for the Hornets.   

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2020, 11:40:48 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

and let us not forget perk, e'twan moore (2nd round), powe, sullinger, and you might be inclined to include the two current williams.

given the nba average of "hits" for the mid to late draft, ainge is clearly above league average.
He drafted 7-8 of the very worst nba draftees in the last 20 years

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2020, 11:53:35 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Getting back to Hayes. I don't think anyone every saw him as a John Wall-type athlete. His value is the fact that he is really strong for a teenager and quite tall and long. He's the type of point guard that can fit right in with a switch-heavy system defensively.

On offense, he gives three primary abilities. He's crafty getting to his left hand on drives, he's got a raw, albeit interesting, step-back three, and he's right there with Ball and Haliburton as one of the best passers in this draft.

Those are tools you can work with. Those are tools that can be used in a playoff rotation.

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2020, 11:58:01 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
I mean, if he’s there at 14 we take him, right?  It just seems like very good value.

10/10 times

the Athleticism thing is not a big issue to me personally. He has exceptional court awareness, is an excellent playmaker and is very intelligent.

An absolute steal at 14.

The thing with Danny is... When was the last time he drafted a non above average athlete/explosiveness with the 1st pick of the 1st round?

Maybe Jared Sullinger?   

He reached for Terry Rozier at 16 even though there were several prospects (not quite the athlete) but considered higher ranked.  He took a gamble on Timelord due to elite verticality etc.  He drafted Langford over Alexandre-Walker.  Ainge does like his above average athletes.  Otherwise prospects with strength.   

I seem to remember a lot of talk about how Marcus Smart didn't have a lot of explosiveness or an impressive first step.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2020, 12:03:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

10/10 times

An absolute steal at 14.

Maybe Jared Sullinger?   

I seem to remember a lot of talk about how Marcus Smart didn't have a lot of explosiveness or an impressive first step.

He still doesn't. But he does have like a 6'9 wingspan and is considered one of the strongest guards in the league. 

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2020, 12:19:14 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Tatum our star is a good but not mind blowing athlete.  Not like Brown. 

Yes when all is equal, Danny values athleticism, no doubt.  But he's not afraid to take guys who are not pure athletes if they bring something else to the table (e.g., Smart).

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2020, 02:06:24 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

please note i was using league averages. and please provide some basis for your claims since the last 20 years had a LOT of bad picks in them. thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2020, 02:32:08 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

You are severely underestimating how bad a lot of draftees are
I'm bitter.