Author Topic: Assuming We Blow It Up: Trading Ideas to Get Good Return for Kg and Pierce  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aspf28j

Trade 1: Spurs, Celtics, Hawks, Suns

Spurs receive: Kevin Garnett, Jared Dudley, Leandro Barbosa
Celtics receive: Josh Smith and Corey Joseph
Hawks receive: Kawhi Leonard, Dejuan Blaire, Stephen Jackson, and Bos 2nd rounder
Suns receive: Kyle Korver and Bos 1st (protected top 20)

Spurs do this because they see OKC and LAC and realize the time to win is now with this group. Pair KG with Duncan and have Dudley as the SF. Barbosa contributes off bench.
Celtics do it to pair Smith, who does an extension, with Rondo and understand they can not contend currently with this group. Also Kg decides to go to a similarly built organization to try and win.
Hawks do it because Kawhi is a nice prospect, fits their team, and is on a nice contract. They couldn't ask for a better player in return for Smith - who they really don't want to pay.
Suns do it because they get a future pick and some cap relief with Korver's expiring contract and they might want to resign him.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a8yzonn

Trade 2: Memphis and Boston

Celtics receive Rudy Gay and Jerryd Bayless
Grizzlies receive Paul Pierce and Jason Terry

Celtics do this to form a core trio of Rajon Rondo, Rudy Gay, and Josh Smith. Bayless has one year less on his deal then Terry.
Grizzlies do this because Pierce brings similar production to Gay but also provides the cap flexibility for next year do to his deal and Memphis values having that option. They also get Terry who is an upgrade over Bayless.

The Celtics would have three All-Star Caliber pieces entering their primes. They then have other assets and pieces they could move in the future to build around these guys. Bass, AB, Sully, Green, Melo, and Lee. Maybe they look at packaging Green, Lee, or Bass with Bradley or Sully for a Center. Maybe Gortat in a separate deal with Phoenix. I don't know, but we figure that out in the off-season.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
So a couple of years down the road we're looking at...

PG: Rondo
SG: Bradley
SF: Gay, Green
PF: Smith, Sullinger
C: [FA], Melo

I'm pretty okay with that. I like that Gay's good shooting offsets Smith's poor shooting, and Smith's good defense offsets Gay's average defense.

It would be an energetic team for sure.

However, this scenario depends on two blockbusters successfully going down. And getting just one to work is hard enough.

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
How many times does it have to be brought up that KG has a no trade clause?

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Apparently.... A LOT

KG will retire before agreeing to be traded.

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

That just means he has to agree. If management told him they were blowing up, I think there's a decent chance he'd acquiesce. Who turns down a chance to play in San Antonio?

Kane- I don't think your trades are crazy. The toughest sell is getting Kawhi Leonard away from the Spurs. He's basically San Antonio's Jared Sullinger. By all accounts, they love him and they think he's a bridge to the future.

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Apparently.... A LOT

I'm not saying we have any business with Houston, but if we had a deal in place he'd happily go play for Kevin McHale.

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

Man you got to read...

Celtics do it to pair Smith, who does an extension, with Rondo and understand they can not contend currently with this group. Also Kg decides to go to a similarly built organization to try and win.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I just have to flat out, catagorically disagree with those who think KG would accept any trade, even one to a team whith which he could possibly win another title.

It seems to me he has been pretty clear that the Celtics are his last team.  He has made it clear Doc is the only coach he has any interest in playing for.

I'd even wager to guess if Pierce gets traded, KG finishes the year, and then retires.  He might even just retire on the spot, if it is a "blow it up" type of deal.

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
KG has a NO-TRADE CLAUSE.

In order to trade him, KG, HIS AGENT, and THE PLAYER'S ASSOC. would have to sign off on it.

Do some research before you open up new forum topics.

p.s. Chris Wilcox also has  NO-TRADE CLAUSE, in case you're hoping to trade him.

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I just have to flat out, catagorically disagree with those who think KG would accept any trade, even one to a team whith which he could possibly win another title.

It seems to me he has been pretty clear that the Celtics are his last team.  He has made it clear Doc is the only coach he has any interest in playing for.

I'd even wager to guess if Pierce gets traded, KG finishes the year, and then retires.  He might even just retire on the spot, if it is a "blow it up" type of deal.

This. And he's too respected to be traded.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Re: Assuming We Blow It Up: Trading Ideas to Get Good Return for Kg and Pierce
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 02:32:37 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Man you got to read...

Man, you got to be logical.

If KG was under the impression the Celtics would want to trade him he would have a) not asked for a no trade clause or b)would have retired.

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 03:35:40 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243

Apparently.... A LOT

I'm not saying we have any business with Houston, but if we had a deal in place he'd happily go play for Kevin McHale.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b6cana3

Rondo and Garnett to Houston for Omer Asik, Robert Smith, and Jeremy Linn with a Houston future 1st and a future 2nd. I am not advocating this particular blow it up deal for Boston but this sort of deal is what Danny and Doc have to decide on within the next month. Houston has cap space so we are benefitting financially on it.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I can appreciate this purely in terms of an exercise, but I cannot fathom Garnett accepting a trade to another team.

I also can't conceive of trading Paul Pierce at this point in his career.

I doubt any team in the NBA would offer Ainge the kind of return he would deem acceptable in exchange for two future Hall of Famers who have come to symbolize the franchise.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 04:31:35 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
KG has a NO-TRADE CLAUSE.

In order to trade him, KG, HIS AGENT, and THE PLAYER'S ASSOC. would have to sign off on it.

Do some research before you open up new forum topics.

p.s. Chris Wilcox also has  NO-TRADE CLAUSE, in case you're hoping to trade him.

Lol look two posts up from yours buddy.

Ha and I doubt if KG approved a trade that his agent or the Players Association would nix it, so not sure why that was mentioned.. More dramatic effect I guess?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:38:52 PM by Kane3387 »

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 04:36:25 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

Man you got to read...

Man, you got to be logical.

If KG was under the impression the Celtics would want to trade him he would have a) not asked for a no trade clause or b)would have retired.

I understand what you are saying but circumstances change. At the time it looked like we had the opportunity to really make a run at this thing and we still might.

However halfway through the season we are below .500 and the 8th seed. Who knows what happens now? What if we keep losing? Philly is likely getting Bynum back soon. Can we hold them off for the 8th seed?

One injury to Rondo for an extended period of time and we could be done. We don't know what the situation will be like come trade deadline time. Alot can happen in this next month, BUT if we keep losing to bottom feeders then the chances are we might not make the playoffs...

Why would KG want to end his career on a lottery team if he can go compete for a title on a team like the Spurs and help our organization out at the same time?

I could see him being cool with a deal to SA if the circumstances are right. Especially if DA and Doc tell him it would help the Celtic's future.