Author Topic: The Zion Williamson Thread  (Read 25201 times)

Re: Zion Williamson breaks Duke all-time vertical
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2018, 02:31:52 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Going to be interesting to see what he does this year. Read a report the other day he was cutting some weight. 6’7” 250 seems like it would be plenty and at that weight how explosive would he be?

Based on skills and other measurables I’m currently more interested in the wings - Reddish, Little, Barrett - but obviously it’s way too early. Come on Sacramento!

The Zion Williamson Thread
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2018, 02:32:48 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

My official cross sport Comp for Zion because there is no NBA Comp for a 285 pound monster with a 45" vertical. My comparison is Bo Jackson. The greatest athlete I've ever seen.

Zion is a next level athlete, can't believe how fast he moves and how quick he is off his feet and laterally, the NBA has never seen anything like this guy before, it doesn't mean he's the greatest player yet it just means we've never seen anything like him before.

Re: The Zion Williamson Thread
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2018, 03:19:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Wilt if he missed a growth spurt or two ;)

I'm kidding, but man is his athleticism just insane. Someone jokingly said I liked him because he can dunk nice. I like him because he's one of the best basketball athletes I've been alive to see. Excellent ability to get to the rim, good handle, solid passer, and has displayed an improved ability to shoot from both the FT line and from deep.
I'm praying Sacramento crumble so we can nab him. Kyrie to Zion in the PnR would be crazy.

'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2018, 03:29:39 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I'll go with the common comparison: Charles Barkley.

It's easy to forget how athletic he was when he was young.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TKmpQyo9muU#fauxfullscreen

He wasn't as muscular and athletic as Zion, but that's generally true for most players from the different eras.  He was a dominant power forward despite only being 6'5" because of his strength, bulk, speed, and jumping ability like Zion.

It was nice to see Zion make his only 3 point attempt.  Here's Zion's highlights from last night's game.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r_uqYRwjEc8

Looks a lot like Barkley's early career highlights.

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2018, 03:37:48 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Barkley/LeBron/Malone

Small ball 5 if he can defend well enough.

Length says that it is a challenge.
His physical profile says take a chance on me.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2018, 03:39:45 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

I'm kidding, but man is his athleticism just insane. Someone jokingly said I liked him because he can dunk nice. I like him because he's one of the best basketball athletes I've been alive to see. Excellent ability to get to the rim, good handle, solid passer, and has displayed an improved ability to shoot from both the FT line and from deep.
I'm praying Sacramento crumble so we can nab him. Kyrie to Zion in the PnR would be crazy.

The Kings will crumble and there are a few wings and guards that could go before Zion including two of his Duke teammates.  We need a big though. If we add him and keep Yab and Semi, we'd have a lot of muscle.

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2018, 04:20:43 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

The Kings will crumble and there are a few wings and guards that could go before Zion including two of his Duke teammates.  We need a big though. If we add him and keep Yab and Semi, we'd have a lot of muscle.
Yeah, no doubt. I reckon Zion could fall, but if he doesn't I'm pretty confident one of Little / Reddish / Barrett / Bol will be available. Even guys like Doumbouya and Naz Reid really intrigue me. Assuming the Kings do crumble, we will be spoilt yet again
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2018, 05:30:17 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I just watched his highlights from last night and... wow. His athleticism is insane. Jump shot is ugly but it works for him (just not sure how he gets it off against NBA defenders), but man, if people think Giannis or Simmons are athletic, this guy is LeBron athletic. Don’t know if he will have the brain or desire to become great, but he’s certainly got the tools.

He looked like a college kid playing against 8th graders... and this was Kentucky!

Duke is scary. Yikes.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2018, 05:39:53 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Zion train is coming our way ( Bob Marley)

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2018, 08:21:05 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

He wasn't as muscular and athletic as Zion, but that's generally true for most players from the different eras.  He was a dominant power forward despite only being 6'5" because of his strength, bulk, speed, and jumping ability like Zion.

It was nice to see Zion make his only 3 point attempt.  Here's Zion's highlights from last night's game.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r_uqYRwjEc8

Who knows if he will ever be as great as Barkley, and you are right people forget how athletic he was young in his career.  However, I think he already has about 20 pounds over young Charles, and it seems all muscle and he has very nimble feet, great first step, very fast, and very mobile to go along with that crazy vertical. 

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2018, 12:22:23 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Who knows if he will ever be as great as Barkley, and you are right people forget how athletic he was young in his career.  However, I think he already has about 20 pounds over young Charles, and it seems all muscle and he has very nimble feet, great first step, very fast, and very mobile to go along with that crazy vertical.

Barkley is a solid comp, but there is no Comp. Zion weighs 33 pounds more than Barkley and he just played his first college game.

Zions challenge will be to stay under 300 lb because we don't want to see that big guy hurt his knee.

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2018, 12:23:55 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Just to let you know, we already have a zion thread.

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=97284.0

mods, maybe merge these two threads?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2018, 12:35:19 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
if he has a great college season he'll be picked ahead of Barrett most likely   :'(

Luckily with our #2 pick we'd be "stuck with" Barrett. 

Or with our #3 or #4 pick we'd be stuck with Little or Reddish. 

But Zion fits positionally and I want him!! 

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2018, 12:41:59 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
if he has a great college season he'll be picked ahead of Barrett most likely   :'(

Luckily with our #2 pick we'd be "stuck with" Barrett. 

Or with our #3 or #4 pick we'd be stuck with Little or Reddish. 

But Zion fits positionally and I want him!!

Trade all our picks to move up and get him. Lol

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2019, 11:00:24 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Larry Johnson/Barkley/Randle clone

Has a body/wingspan closer to randle, but explosiveness/aggressiveness like Barkley (early days)

Not sure if he will be a SF or PF at the nba