Author Topic: NFL 2022 Season  (Read 115338 times)

Re: NFL 2022 Season
« Reply #1635 on: February 02, 2023, 12:52:20 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
With Brady retiring and the Bucs most likely heading for the drain, any interest in trying to acquire Evans or Godwin? Both had over 1000 yards last year.

Doesn't have to be the Pats either. Any interest from fans of other teams? Both are still pretty good players. Godwin is only 26 and Evans is 29. They should have a couple years of production left.

I can’t see the Pats being interested in either player. As you mentioned, both guys had decent years statistically, so the asking price is going to be high in terms of draft compensation and then they both have annual salaries in the $17-20M range. Feel like Bill wouldn’t be on board with paying Evans that kind of money considering he’s going to be 30 this year. Godwin is 3 years younger, but is more of a slot WR. If you are going to be paying $20M/year for a #1 wideout, really need someone that can stretch the field more. I’d prefer Brandin Cooks.

You mean the guy the Patriots already had at one time, when he was in his prime, and then traded away? ;D

Pats weren't going to pay him that money.

Seems kind of silly to trade for him in the first place if they were gonna have him for only one year. I don't like overpaying for players, but the Patriots may have to overpay for a proven WR1, given Bill's horrible record drafting WRs.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #1636 on: February 02, 2023, 01:04:31 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
With Brady retiring and the Bucs most likely heading for the drain, any interest in trying to acquire Evans or Godwin? Both had over 1000 yards last year.

Doesn't have to be the Pats either. Any interest from fans of other teams? Both are still pretty good players. Godwin is only 26 and Evans is 29. They should have a couple years of production left.

I can’t see the Pats being interested in either player. As you mentioned, both guys had decent years statistically, so the asking price is going to be high in terms of draft compensation and then they both have annual salaries in the $17-20M range. Feel like Bill wouldn’t be on board with paying Evans that kind of money considering he’s going to be 30 this year. Godwin is 3 years younger, but is more of a slot WR. If you are going to be paying $20M/year for a #1 wideout, really need someone that can stretch the field more. I’d prefer Brandin Cooks.

You mean the guy the Patriots already had at one time, when he was in his prime, and then traded away? ;D

Yep. They traded him away for financial reasons, not performance. He was a very good player for the Pats.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 01:25:21 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1637 on: February 02, 2023, 01:17:57 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Yep. They traded him away for financial reasons, not performance. He was a very good player for the Pats.

He was indeed. I wish they'd kept him. Bill seems to always want to skimp when it comes to receivers, and I guess that was fine when he had Brady, but now that the GOAT is no longer here—and given that Bill is bad at evaluating college WRs—he may need to start ponying up for some proven NFL talent (vertical receivers, not just slot guys).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #1638 on: February 02, 2023, 01:25:36 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

He was indeed. I wish they'd kept him. Bill seems to always want to skimp when it comes to receivers, and I guess that was fine when he had Brady, but now that the GOAT is no longer here—and given that Bill is bad at evaluating college WRs—he may need to start ponying up for some proven NFL talent (vertical receivers, not just slot guys).

Still blows my mind that NE has been paying Agholor and Jonnu Smith $20M+/year combined. Just terrible signings. Maybe instead of paying two mediocre guys, just pay 1 good player?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1639 on: February 02, 2023, 01:36:38 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Still blows my mind that NE has been paying Agholor and Jonnu Smith $20M+/year combined. Just terrible signings. Maybe instead of paying two mediocre guys, just pay 1 good player?

I liked the Smith signing at the time, and I still think the Pats haven't been using him well, but in general I agree with you. Having a bunch No. 3 receivers (without a No. 1 or even a solid No. 2) isn't a great idea.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #1640 on: February 02, 2023, 02:10:19 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Politicians addressing the important issues in Tenn.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tennessee-introduces-bill-to-dump-columbus-day-as-a-holiday-in-favor-of-super-bowl-monday-182816603.html?ncid=twitter_yahoonewst_sjwumo1bpf4

Rejoice, Tennessee Titans fans, you might not have to "call in sick" the next time your favorite team takes part in the Super Bowl. Tennessee introduced a bill Wednesday that would make Super Bowl Monday a real holiday.

The bill was filed for introduction Wednesday by Senator London Lamar and Representative Joe Towns Jr., both Democrats. It proposed axing Columbus Day as a legal holiday in the state and replacing it with the first Monday after the Super Bowl.

Debates over making the Monday after a Super Bowl a national holiday have occurred for years now, and for good reason. There's research suggesting it's already one of the most unproductive days in the United States.

That checks out. The game is such a massive event in the country. Thousands upon thousands of parties are held so people can overindulge themselves on chicken wings and chili-cheese dips. Kids stay up far later than usual to be a part of the spectacle. Even those who don't care about the game might watch for the commercials or the halftime show ... or just to be a part of the conversation.

If you happen to be one of the many who stayed up way too late, ate one too many wings and don't exactly feel motivated to roll out of bed and sit at your desk the next morning, that's understandable.

The push to make Super Bowl Monday a national holiday, however, hasn't picked up much traction. Sure, it sounds great, but it isn't high on the list of priorities in the country. A 2013 petition asking the White House to declare the day after the Super Bowl a national holiday fell well short of the necessary signatures required for the White House to respond to it. Making it a state issue might be more successful. Cincinnati Bengals fans got a taste of that last year, when school was canceled the day after the Bengals appeared in the Super Bowl.

Columbus Day isn't recognized as an official holiday in many states. A handful of states don't acknowledge Columbus Day at all, and instead refer to it as "Indigenous Peoples' Day," or a variation of that name.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1641 on: February 02, 2023, 02:14:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

https://sports.yahoo.com/tennessee-introduces-bill-to-dump-columbus-day-as-a-holiday-in-favor-of-super-bowl-monday-182816603.html?ncid=twitter_yahoonewst_sjwumo1bpf4

Rejoice, Tennessee Titans fans, you might not have to "call in sick" the next time your favorite team takes part in the Super Bowl. Tennessee introduced a bill Wednesday that would make Super Bowl Monday a real holiday.

The bill was filed for introduction Wednesday by Senator London Lamar and Representative Joe Towns Jr., both Democrats. It proposed axing Columbus Day as a legal holiday in the state and replacing it with the first Monday after the Super Bowl.

Debates over making the Monday after a Super Bowl a national holiday have occurred for years now, and for good reason. There's research suggesting it's already one of the most unproductive days in the United States.

That checks out. The game is such a massive event in the country. Thousands upon thousands of parties are held so people can overindulge themselves on chicken wings and chili-cheese dips. Kids stay up far later than usual to be a part of the spectacle. Even those who don't care about the game might watch for the commercials or the halftime show ... or just to be a part of the conversation.

If you happen to be one of the many who stayed up way too late, ate one too many wings and don't exactly feel motivated to roll out of bed and sit at your desk the next morning, that's understandable.

The push to make Super Bowl Monday a national holiday, however, hasn't picked up much traction. Sure, it sounds great, but it isn't high on the list of priorities in the country. A 2013 petition asking the White House to declare the day after the Super Bowl a national holiday fell well short of the necessary signatures required for the White House to respond to it. Making it a state issue might be more successful. Cincinnati Bengals fans got a taste of that last year, when school was canceled the day after the Bengals appeared in the Super Bowl.

Columbus Day isn't recognized as an official holiday in many states. A handful of states don't acknowledge Columbus Day at all, and instead refer to it as "Indigenous Peoples' Day," or a variation of that name.

Works for me.  I think the government should just give us every Monday in February off.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1642 on: February 02, 2023, 02:16:26 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Works for me.  I think the government should just give us every Monday in February off.

Once the NFL goes to the inevitable 18 game season, it'll work itself out.  Super Bowl will be on the Sunday of Presidents Day weekend and a decent chunk of the population (not us CPAs in tax season, though  :P) will finally get the day after the Super Bowl off.

« Reply #1643 on: February 02, 2023, 04:56:45 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Once the NFL goes to the inevitable 18 game season, it'll work itself out.  Super Bowl will be on the Sunday of Presidents Day weekend and a decent chunk of the population (not us CPAs in tax season, though  :P) will finally get the day after the Super Bowl off.

I don't even Veteran's Day, Columbus Day, or Juneteenth off lol doubt Superbowl Monday would be permitted anyways. Basically if ya in the government/federal sector you lucky to get all those federal days off like those and Cesar Chavez day, etc

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1644 on: February 02, 2023, 10:05:05 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Saw Davante Adams responded to a question on Twitter that asked something like What is Aaron Rodgers next neighborhood going to be?  Adams responded "mine".  I thought that was funny.

Also, I heard someone on the radio today who said something like does Aaron Rodgers really want to share the podium in Canton with Tom Brady and thereby concluded that he will come back for at least a year and collect another 50 million.  I thought that was an interesting take.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1645 on: February 03, 2023, 07:29:39 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Saw Davante Adams responded to a question on Twitter that asked something like What is Aaron Rodgers next neighborhood going to be?  Adams responded "mine".  I thought that was funny.

Also, I heard someone on the radio today who said something like does Aaron Rodgers really want to share the podium in Canton with Tom Brady and thereby concluded that he will come back for at least a year and collect another 50 million.  I thought that was an interesting take.

I think the $50 million is more motivating than the HOF stuff.  It’s why he stayed in Green Bay in the first place.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1646 on: February 03, 2023, 08:40:38 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm not sure how pointing a gun at someone all of a sudden becomes a simple misunderstanding but here we are.

Mixon has always been a POS.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/02/agent-charges-against-joe-mixon-will-be-dropped-on-friday/

« Reply #1647 on: February 10, 2023, 09:22:13 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
The big game in two days! Eagles with a 1.5-point favorite.

Will it be Fly Eagles Fly or Chiefs Kingdom? I despise both teams, but because if KC wins they'll be hailed as a "dynasty" team. That being said..."fly eagles fly" YUCK.

Kansas City Chiefs @ Philadelphia Eagles: 28-33 Eagles

« Reply #1648 on: February 11, 2023, 12:51:45 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Micah Parsons thinks he lives in Tom Brady's head rent-free.

I mean, solid defender and all but bruh those 7 rings are in his head more than Micah can ever be lol. Anyone can look good against a lousy o-line anyway. The guy should win more meaningful games first. Besides, the ones who are able to respectfully say that would be Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs, Von Miller, and (sigh) Eli Manning. The Cowboys? Not a chance.

More like Brady and Brock Purdy lives in Micah's head rent free  ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 01:18:59 PM by SparzWizard »

« Reply #1649 on: February 11, 2023, 02:04:01 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
My season predictions

AFC
Div. Champs - Buffalo, Baltimore, Tennessee, Kansas City
Wildcards - Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Las Vegas

NFC
Div. Champs - Philadelphia, Green Bay, Tampa Bay, Los Angeles
Wildcards - Dallas, Minnesota, New Orleans

Super Bowl
Kansas City over Los Angeles

And yes that was painful picking the Chiefs over my Ravens, but I just have a feeling Mahomes is going to be so hyper focused this year that he has the best QB season in history and they just march their way to an incredible season.
well, I did ok in the AFC, but I really screwed the pooch on the Rams.  I wasn't alone in that, but it was a huge miss.

Rooting for Eagles since I have family in the Philly area that are huge Eagles fans, but I think the Chiefs win, something like 28-17
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip