Author Topic: 2nd Round Game 4 Celtics at Cavaliers 5/12/08 8:00 PM TNT  (Read 83285 times)

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 

Boston Celtics (2-1) at Cleveland Cavaliers (1-2)
Round 2, Game 4
Monday, May 12
8:00 PM ET
TV:  TNT
Quicken Loans Arena

Probable Starting Lineup

Rajon Rondo, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Kendrick Perkins

Off the Bench
 James Posey,  Leon Powe,  Sam Cassell, PJ Brown, Big Baby Davis, Tony Allen, Eddie House 

Inactive:  Brian Scalabrine,  Gabe Pruitt

Injury Report
Scott Pollard, ankle, out

Probable Starting Lineup

Delonte West, Wally Szczerbiak, LeBron James, Ben Wallace, Zydrunas Ilgauskas 

Off the Bench
 Joe Smith, Devin Brown, Anderson Varejao, Daniel Gibson, Aleksander Pavlovic,  Damon Jones, Dwayne Jones

Inactive:  Lance Allred, Billy Thomas

Injury Report
Eric Snow, ankle, out

Key Matchups
  vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Delonte West
Rondo struggled somewhat in game 3 and the Celtics struggled also.  For the first time in the series Delonte out played Rajon.  Delonte.  Rajon will have to pick up his game on both ends of the floor.  He will need to play better defense on Delonte and will have to be more aggressive on offense. 

vs 
Ray Allen vs Wally Szczerbiak
Wally found his stroke in game 3 and Ray has yet to get back on track.  The Celtics will need Ray to score and to spread the floor for his teammates. 

Honorable Mention
Kevin Garnett vs Ben Wallace
It is no coincidence that when Wallace plays, the Cavs play well and when he is out, they struggle.  He gives them a defensive presence in the middle and he is also a good rebounder. 

Keys to the Game
DEFENSE!!!!!  The Celtics must find their defensive intensity on the road.  The Cavs shot 53% in the last game and that is unacceptable.   It wasn't that the Cavs suddenly got so much better , it is that the Celtics got that much worse.  The Celtics have to get back to playing that tough team defense if they want to win this game. 

Rebound  The Celtics were out rebounded by the Cavs in game 3 and when the Celtics allow teams to out rebound them, they usually lose.  Part of this is because much of rebounding is desire and effort and when those are absent, it affects every area of the game.

Be Aggressive  In the last two games the Celtics were sluggish to start the game and fell behind.  In game 2, the bench came in and were able to cut into the deficit and get the Celtics back into the game but in Game 3, the bench also struggled and so the Celtics couldn't come back.  They need to come out aggressive from the beginning and go after loose balls, rebounds and drive to the hoop instead of settling for jumpers.   

X-Factor
Point Guard Play  In the first two games, Rondo out played Delonte and was aggressive in getting the the Celtics into their sets and in taking the shot when he was open.  In game 3, Rondo was tentative and hesitated on the shot and allowed Delonte to get open time after time.  We need Rondo to play with confidence and to be aggressive.  Sam also struggled in game 3 and we need both of them to play well if we are to win on the road. 

Re: 2nd Round Game 4 Celtics at Cavaliers 5/12/08 8:00 PM TNT
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 10:15:57 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Time for the Celtics to shut up the critics and the other teams fan and take care of business on the road.

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 10:16:52 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I feel good about this game but anything can happen.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 10:25:04 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Time for the Celtics to shut up the critics and the other teams fan and take care of business on the road.
I'm worried that they're going to get stuck inside their own heads for the rest of the playoffs if they don't win this one.

Big game. They need to win.

..... Cavs have to win this one. They can't win three straight including two on the road in do-or-die situations against the Celtics. Must win for them. If they win they're going to be riding that magic carpet of self confidence with images of Detroit last season ruling their mind. That's dangerous.

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 06:20:38 AM »

Offline tammer

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Win on the road?  I'll take play on the road.  One good road game, win or lose, and I'll feel a heck of a lot better. 

If Rondo cannot find his offense against Gibson or West, and Ray cannot defend or get a shot off against Wally, the Celts are not good at the guard positions.  Wally is long and will play tight at the perimeter.  Obvious move against an old 3 point shooter coming off double ankle surgery.  So, Ray, can you take him to the basket or not?  That's a huge part of the series.  That will open others up, and open your own shot up. 

Like Paul v. LeBron.  Ray can either win his match-up or not.  Pierce has the toughest match-up and is holding his own.  KG is winning his.  Everyone else is losing.  Perkins is losing to Z, Cassell and Rondo are losing to West, and Ray is losing to Wally.

I can see Perk having trouble with Z.  I could see a tie at the point.  Celts should own the 2 and 4.  That is the key to their winning. 

If Posey has to start over Ray so be it.  Posey can take Wally head to head and will be bored while shutting him down on defense.

The worry was if Z could add a few points, LaBron could carry them.  Paul has seen to it that the answer to that is no.  Paul can keep LaBron in check and play him pretty even.  That should be it, Celts in 4 or 5 games.

I did not see the the Cavs winning the 1, 2, and 5 spots, thus making this a series.  Shocking, even if they are only winning them at home.

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 07:07:11 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
No need to worry about Posey starting for Allen. Doc doesn't have the nerve to make such a move. 

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 07:33:19 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Key matchup of the game:

Refs and Stern VS. tarnishing lebron's image/legacy

Will Delonte West be called for illegal defense (or defensive three seconds)?

Will Doc run some off ball screens to force Lebron to cover Ray Allen and get Wally on Pierce? Can Rondo play a goo first quarter?

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 07:49:09 AM »

Offline heatnum119

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • Stan Van Gundy after losing in the semis.

I think the Cs should summon Egg Shen from Big Trouble in Little China to fix them up a Six Demon Bag...The convo in the locker room before the game would go something like this...

K.G.: I feel pretty good. I'm not... I'm not scared at all. I feel kind of... feel kind of invincible.
Ray: Me, too. I've got a very positive attitude about this.
PP: Good, me too.
[pause]
Doc: Is it getting hot in here, or is it just me?
"I can out learn you, I can out read you, I can out think you, and I can out philosophise you, and Im gonna out last you!...'I am like God, and God like me. I am large as God, he is as small as I. He cannot above me, nor I beneath him be.' Silesius ,17th century" -Max Cady

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 06:09:01 PM »

Offline djbucky3

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
The Celtics have a very good chance at winning this game, and if they do its the end of the series.
KG must continue to win his matchup, KG is the strongest point we have right now, and i would love to see him get the ball 20 or 30 times and start getting double teams opening up everyone else.
Perk must just play strong defense
Pierce has kept Baby James from scoring, and hopfully will be able to continue
Ray has not been making shots, which in a way is a good thing, if he catches fire in this game, the Celtics should be able to take the game easily with the extra points.
Rondo has to be the Rondo we've seen all season.
I believe Powe is the sixth player this game. He may not be scoring a lot, but if you watch his help defense on James, you can see why his numbers have been so low. If Powe continues to play good defense and can put up a few points he will help a lot.

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 06:58:36 PM »

Offline Aussie Celtic

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 19
Good luck guys.

Here's hoping we play to our potential and give this game a real shake.

The intensity of the play-offs.  Winning in someone else's arena during this time of the year is the ultimate test.

I believe the team really wants to test their mettle tonight.

Go the Green !!!!

Leave everything out there on the floor.

I'm cheering down under.

Cheers

Aussie

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 07:42:41 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
well another 40oz chillin in the lucky bucket...i dont know what to expect but i want powe and posey to keep playin hard....paul needs to relax..kevin needs to pass more..

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 07:52:36 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Two step plan to win tonight.

Step 1:  Play defense like you have played at home. 

Step 2:  Use the stops to press the pace on offense. 

Do those two things, the rest will take care of itself. 

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 07:55:26 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
Two step plan to win tonight.

Step 1:  Play defense like you have played at home. 

Step 2:  Use the stops to press the pace on offense. 

Do those two things, the rest will take care of itself. 

step 3 sir...

make ya free throws..

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 07:58:48 PM »

Offline Bill Walton

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
Alot of talk leading up to this important matchup I hope it translates into agressive start and anoverwhelming victory

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 08:00:59 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
Nothing but taking care of business, playing up to their potential and this game will be a pleasure to witness!

Let's Get It On, Bringing the "A" game...

-Go Celtics Go-
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"