Author Topic: Report: Rival teams get 2nd thoughts on Kyrie. Kyrie spoke w/ KD on teaming up  (Read 3130 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
A lot of new info on the kyrie sweepstakes.. Looks like 2 different teams are pumping the brakes a bit and adding certain conditions if they plan to pursue kyrie..

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/05/18/celtics-still-want-to-be-the-ones-to-pay-kyrie-irving-but-possibilities-abound/

Multiple teams that were said to have interest in pursuing Kyrie Irving this summer are having second thoughts
 Irving will undoubtedly land a max contract, though his list of suitors may not be as long as anticipated just months ago.

The pause on Irving is a byproduct of how he ended his campaign with the Celtics. Two clubs are telling people around the league that they will only go after the point guard if another marquee free agent says he wants to play with Irving. Bulpett writes that the main target for each of these franchises is a different player and one of the teams had concerns that ownership would overrule the front office and dictate an Irving pursuit, though those concerns have been alleviated.

The talk behind the scenes is all over the place. Bulpett heard months ago that a source within the Knicks‘ front office was convinced that Irving and Kevin Durant were coming to New York. However, the scribe hears from an NBA agent that Irving wants the Nets and Durant favors the Knicks, thus causing a dilemma in the duo teaming up. Someone within the Warriors‘ organization tells Bulpett that Irving and Durant definitely spoke about the possibility of joining forces and Bulpett hears from another source that the Brooklyn talk is just a smokescreen.

The Celtics continue to hold out hope that Irving will re-sign with the team. It was reported earlier in the week that the front office believed that trading for Anthony Davis would make Irving warm up to the idea of returning. Irving has a Nike commercial in which he has his number retired in Boston and the organization hopes that becomes reality.

Two summers ago when Irving demanded a trade from the Cavs, some front offices were told by his camp that he would not re-sign with them. Some executives got the feeling that Irving got exactly what he wanted with the trade to Boston.

“We were told that the team he wanted to go to was getting ready to trade for him,” one general manager tells Bulpett. “And that team was Boston. So the Celtics were where he wanted to go. He got what he wanted. Now here we are two years later. Crazy
.”

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 02:22:15 AM by CelticsElite »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Cool, bring Durant to Boston

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Good news for C’s fans.

On another note, laughing at Durant’s Instagram comments a few hours ago.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Irving/Davis/Durant Big 3 in Boston?

Sign me up.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
No way KD goes here lol

But man, i think kyrie would be crazy to not sign his max here. He’d make the most money here and it would be his team (even if AD was the best player). In NY, it would definitely be KD’s team and kyrie would have to play as the definitive #2 all over again.
- LilRip

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
KD was between Warriors and Celtics before he pick them..i been saying this all year that he will come here in a sign and trade then we trade for AD
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Sign and trade him to the Lakers. Swap picks in the deal and bring Lonzo Ball in.

Then package the Lakers pick, future Memphis,  and Hayward for Superstar. Hopefully that could be AD.

Ball
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Davis

Smart
Timelord

It's not a bad 7 man rotation.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Cool, bring Durant to Boston

Ha was just going to say that.

Step 1 trade for Davis
Step 2 sign Irving
Step 3 Durant see’s what we have. Either a sign and trade to us, or opts in and is traded.

Mission complete. Haha

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Sign and trade him to the Lakers. Swap picks in the deal and bring Lonzo Ball in.

Then package the Lakers pick, future Memphis,  and Hayward for Superstar. Hopefully that could be AD.

Ball
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Davis

Smart
Timelord

Don't think I can emphasise no enough to Lonzo Ball and his disastrous family. He's way more injury prone than Kyrie too, yuck.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Ball
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Davis

Smart
Timelord

Don't think I can emphasise no enough to Lonzo Ball and his disastrous family. He's way more injury prone than Kyrie too, yuck.

I agree his family is a disaster.  But I love his pg skills.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Ball
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Davis

Smart
Timelord

I agree, but his jump-shot form is fundamentally broken. I don't think I can deal with a 40% FT shooting point guard and a 66% FT shooting 2 guard (although Brown could be on the up)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
would take a scenario where GH would have to go the GS with at least 1 1st round pick and the usual ideas on playes and picks for AD.  Would probably be KI, Smart, KD, AH, AD as the starters, MM resigns with theis for the bigs, maybe Wannamaker as well.  The rest of the roster would be MLE and vet mins...[dang] good starters though.

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
would take a scenario where GH would have to go the GS with at least 1 1st round pick and the usual ideas on playes and picks for AD.  Would probably be KI, Smart, KD, AH, AD as the starters, MM resigns with theis for the bigs, maybe Wannamaker as well.  The rest of the roster would be MLE and vet mins...[dang] good starters though.

Sounds like your idea has both Brown and Tatum being shipped out in a AD deal. I think Ainge will hold firm to keep one of them probably Brown similar to holding firm on Rondo in the KG deal.

The Durant scenario could also be AH in a Durant deal but Al would probably have to opt in.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think it makes sense to sign Kyrie with the idea of pairing him up with other stars.  Ideally, that's in Boston.  But, if it's an outside team, I think there's a legit concern that he's not going to be enough by himself, eating up a tremendous amount of cap space while increasing fan expectations to an unreasonable level.

The days of NBA teams winning with only one star are over, and they've rarely existed at all. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Ball
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Davis

Smart
Timelord

his passing is really only superior on fast breaks. he is very good on those. but in the half court his passing and shooting are really not very good. he is a limited player in the half court offense.

next, his FT% for his career is 43.7%, and was worse last year at 41.7%. that is not a typo.

third, ball's 3 point shooting is, as expected, poor at 31.5%. smart, whom we all lambasted for years for his terrible 3 point shooting has a career average of 31%. but last year smart finished at 36.4%.

ball is not awful as an nba player, but his flaws are huge and limit his ability to really make a team better.

i would rather have rubio if kyrie is gone.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva