Author Topic: Amir Johnson to Celtics  (Read 72623 times)

Re: Amir Johnson to Celtics
« Reply #195 on: July 01, 2015, 06:21:16 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
We are a bootleg Philly. Same strategy, less top young players. Thank goodness for our "flexibility" though!  ::) So "flexible" with our crowded guard and PF positions. So "flexible" with all our rookies on the roster sitting on the bench.

Yeah, hearing quite a bit about "flexibility" today. What position does he play?

TP
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #196 on: July 01, 2015, 06:25:57 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
This is so painful, we get this bum for $12 a year and the Suns get Tyson Chandler for $14m?

They are not even on the same planet talent wise. :'(

Uhhh yeah they are. Tyson only puts up 10 points and 10 rebounds a game. Youd just be  banking on him playing defense which he has been in decline at.

« Reply #197 on: July 01, 2015, 06:31:36 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I love the Amir Johnson signing. I have wanted him to be a Celtic for a few years now.

I imagine he starts at center. Nice upgrade over Bass.

Agreed.  He was awesome at Center last year too.

24 pts, 14 reb, 2 blks per 48 at Center.  I think that'll be nice to have vs having to play say Sully at Center.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #198 on: July 01, 2015, 06:34:42 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
This is so painful, we get this bum for $12 a year and the Suns get Tyson Chandler for $14m?

They are not even on the same planet talent wise. :'(

Uhhh yeah they are. Tyson only puts up 10 points and 10 rebounds a game. Youd just be  banking on him playing defense which he has been in decline at.

I'll take 28 year old Johnson over 32 year old Chandler any day.

« Reply #199 on: July 01, 2015, 06:45:03 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
A lot of people are comparing this signing to others, like why did we not get that guy. That guy wasn't coming to Boston. We take what we get and build off of it. I expect trades to come.

« Reply #200 on: July 01, 2015, 06:45:18 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Ok, I'm officially confused...

Firstly, I actually really like Amir Johnson - have liked him ever since the first few times we played him back in the big 3 days, when he used to frequently hurt us on both ends of the floor with his energy and versatility.

Secondly, I understand the fit:

1) Johnson can (at a stretch) play and defend three positions - from SF through to Center.

2) He is an extremely efficient and pretty versatile scorer (1.37 PTS Per FGA over his career) who can score inside (career 70.5% FG inside 3 feet, 53% of his offense) from midrange (46% from 3ft-10ft, 38% from 10ft-16ft, 40% from 16ft-3PT) and can hit the open three (career 34% and 41% last season)

3) He has decent court feel for a big (2.1 AST Per 36, 9.4% Assist Percentage, Assist/Turnover ratio >1.0)

4) He's a solid and versatile defender (career 1.0 Steals Per 36, 1.7 Blocks Per 36) with a positive defensive RPM (if you put faith that stuff - some people don't, but it's there anyway) and (according to what I've seen subjectively) he has the mobility and size/strength to guard three positions.

5) From what I've seen he's a high energy guy with a great motor

So, he's pretty close to the perfect support player and his versatility probably makes him an upgrade for us over Sully (who I think is getting traded anyway), Bass (who doesn't have three point range and doesn't rebound or block shots) and Zeller (who has  been pretty horrible defensively).

He's 28 years old so no upside there, but we're going in to 'win now' mode so that's not such a big deal..

But...

TWELVE MILLION DOLLARS?!?!??!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I just can't understand that given that:
a) It seems we are paying near-star money to a guy who is a fringe starter (albeit a good one)
b) Danny was just quoted specifically stating that the doesn't want to overplay or lower tier talent

« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:53:55 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #201 on: July 01, 2015, 06:45:38 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
2 year $24M deal, 1 guaranteed for a healthy 28 year-old
4 year $52M deal for a 32 year-old who already misses ~20 games / year

Chandler has the most talent, but those are big differences. Johnson is comparable offensively and also a very good defender. Chandler gives you more blocks and dunks.

Roll back the clock 4 years on Chandler and I might prefer his deal. Might.

« Reply #202 on: July 01, 2015, 06:51:29 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja

My thoughts.

Firstly, I actually really like Amir Johnson - have liked him ever since the first few times we played him back in the big 3 days, when he used to frequently hurt us on both ends of the floor with his energy and versatility.

Secondly, I understand the fit.  People are talking about him coming off the bench, but I think that's unlikely because Johnson is (IMHO) an upgrade over any of our starting bigs other than maybe Olynyk, and this is why: versatility.

1) Johnson can (at a stretch) play and defend three positions - from SF through to Center.

2) He is an extremely efficient and pretty versatile scorer (1.37 PTS Per FGA over his career) who can score inside (career 70.5% FG inside 3 feet, 53% of his offense) from midrange (46% from 3ft-10ft, 38% from 10ft-16ft, 40% from 16ft-3PT) and can hit the open three (career 34% and 41% last season)

3) He has decent court feel for a big (2.1 AST Per 36, 9.4% Assist Percentage, Assist/Turnover ratio >1.0)

4) He's a solid and versatile defender (career 1.0 Steals Per 36,
these are really good questions and points cs. tp for posting them. i dont have answers, but the new market efficiency pushed by ainge and CBS seems to be having players who can play 2-3 positions and switch on offense and defense to create mismatches, maybe even dictate mismatches.

i am guessing here.  ;D but i noticed last year that when the celtics defended later in the season, they were able to frequently switch one defender for another without a real mismatch appearing. bass to jerebko to crowder, not that much difference.

CBS knows more than me and is maybe making due until a super star arrives. but getting johnson makes sense from the "switchable parts" perspective and seems to follow a pattern.

this is a guess and i defer to those here who know much more on the topic than i do.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #203 on: July 01, 2015, 06:56:48 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

4) He's a solid and versatile defender (career 1.0 Steals Per 36, 1.7 Blocks Per 36) with a positive defensive RPM (if you put faith that stuff - some people don't, but it's there anyway) and (according to what I've seen subjectively) he has the mobility and size/strength to guard three positions.

So, he's pretty close to the perfect support player and his versatility probably makes him an upgrade for us over Sully (who I think is getting traded anyway), Bass (who doesn't have three point range and doesn't rebound or block shots) and Zeller (who has  been pretty horrible defensively).

He's 28 years old so no upside there, but we're going in to 'win now' mode so that's not such a big deal..

But...

a) It seems we are paying near-star money to a guy who is a fringe starter (albeit a good one)
b) Danny was just quoted specifically stating that the doesn't want to overplay or lower tier talent

Its a financial move. The second year is un-guaranteed. What Danny is doing is stocking up the money for superstar(s) who could be on the trading block this year. Like a Demarcus Cousins or Kevin Durant. I'd rather use our chips to get those guys than spend our cap on Tobias Harris and Greg Monroe.

« Reply #204 on: July 01, 2015, 06:58:39 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
First 12 million is not star money (people need to adjust to the new cap numbers badly with this kind of thinking).

Second, I'm all for paying him a little more for a year if we can have as awesome of a second year option with his contract as we have.  I don't think you can even begin to talk about his contract without talking about that.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #205 on: July 01, 2015, 07:00:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
snore

What would you do in Ainge's shoes? You're always very dismissive on all the moves we make, but the Sixers and Hinkie could do no wrong. So it'd be nice for you to provide an alternatve, with some actual names.

"Don't expect any big moves"

*Free agency starts*

"This offseason is boring"

*troll complete*

Edit: I think we can ease up on the accusations of him being a Sixers fan though. He's obviously a Celts fan.

I'm not sure about that. He posts a lot, but is he really a fan of the team or any of it's players?
Eddie20... fair point... Yes, I'm a lifelong fan of the Boston Celtics.  No, I'm not that big of a fan of the scrubs on the team right now.  I'm not rushing to the store to buy my Amir Johnson jersey.     I have a right to be disgruntled right now.  This team is irrelevant right now.  This roster isn't even remotely close to contending.   We have whiffed on every attempt to make a significant improvement for two years straight.  It's a tad depressing.   I'm not one for denial.   I wasn't a big fan of the Pierce/Walker treadmill teams either, but there were always some delusional fans who thought we were capable of upsetting the Shaq/Kobe teams if we just managed to sneak into the Finals.  I wasn't one of those people.  That team was mediocre.  This team might not even be mediocre.   We were below .500 last season.  I see a below .500 roster right now.  It's a real bummer, man.

« Reply #206 on: July 01, 2015, 07:00:53 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2489
amir johnson will be trade bait unless ainge somehow lands a superstar this season.

TBH i've wondered why GM's don't use this strategy more often - non-guaranteed contracts have value in this league, if you're not contending but are going to use up cap space anyways, why not sign a guy to a 2-year partially guaranteed deal? i'd imagine with a good player like amir (and jonas) the value of such a deal is even higher. that $17M of unguaranteed money could really bail out some desperate team next offseason.

so, as others have noted, this and the JJ move suggest ainge is punting on this offseason, and just collecting tradeable assets for later while keeping future cap space available.

i'm fine with that strategy.

BUT

the big concern is that we'll be stuck in the middle of the draft again, and, as we've seen, it's hard to move up in the draft. IMO we should probably just properly tank. but if we're going for the "flexible" route, this is probably the best way to do it.

« Reply #207 on: July 01, 2015, 07:02:16 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

But...

Its a financial move. The second year is un-guaranteed. What Danny is doing is stocking up the money for superstar(s) who could be on the trading block this year. Like a Demarcus Cousins or Kevin Durant. I'd rather use our chips to get those guys than spend our cap on Tobias Harris and Greg Monroe.

our chips couldn't even move us up 7 spots in the draft where FRANK FREAKIN KOMISKY seemed like a better option for the Bobcats.

Now those chips are going to land us Cousins? Durant?

At least Harris would have been a solid young prospect we could have used as a trade chip in the future( hoping we still get him)

« Reply #208 on: July 01, 2015, 07:02:51 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
snore

What would you do in Ainge's shoes? You're always very dismissive on all the moves we make, but the Sixers and Hinkie could do no wrong. So it'd be nice for you to provide an alternatve, with some actual names.

"Don't expect any big moves"

*Free agency starts*

"This offseason is boring"

*troll complete*

Edit: I think we can ease up on the accusations of him being a Sixers fan though. He's obviously a Celts fan.

I'm not sure about that. He posts a lot, but is he really a fan of the team or any of it's players?
Eddie20... fair point... Yes, I'm a lifelong fan of the Boston Celtics.  No, I'm not that big of a fan of the scrubs on the team right now.  I'm not rushing to the store to buy my Amir Johnson jersey.     I have a right to be disgruntled right now.  This team is irrelevant right now.  This roster isn't even remotely close to contending.   We have whiffed on every attempt to make a significant improvement for two years straight.  It's a tad depressing.   I'm not one for denial.   I wasn't a big fan of the Pierce/Walker treadmill teams either, but there were always some delusional fans who thought we were capable of upsetting the Shaq/Kobe teams if we just managed to sneak into the Finals.  I wasn't one of those people.  That team was mediocre.  This team might not even be mediocre.   We were below .500 last season.  I see a below .500 roster right now.

How old are you?  I ask because I cannot imagine how you made it through the years between titles with your attitude toward the team.

Mike

« Reply #209 on: July 01, 2015, 07:03:10 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Ha.  Cousins, Durant?   You've got to be kidding.