Author Topic: JR Giddens out of the NBA after this season?  (Read 7209 times)

Re: JR Giddens out of the NBA after this season?
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 01:00:33 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Giddens will still be around next season, Tony Allen will be a goner.

Tony will be gone, but Giddens will be, too.  Why pay Giddens $1.1 million, when you can sign an actual contributor for $825k?

Granted, it will depend on this season.

But even if we don't sign him, i really doubt he'll be out of the NBA.

I know GG won a dunk contest and all, but the consensus was he was pretty awful as an NBA player, he still got 3 bites at the apple.  ;D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 01:06:42 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Giddens will still be around next season, Tony Allen will be a goner.

Tony will be gone, but Giddens will be, too.  Why pay Giddens $1.1 million, when you can sign an actual contributor for $825k?

Granted, it will depend on this season.

But even if we don't sign him, i really doubt he'll be out of the NBA.

I know GG won a dunk contest and all, but the consensus was he was pretty awful as an NBA player, he still got 3 bites at the apple.  ;D

Gerald's resume' included a season in which he scored in double digits, though.  Plus, even today (after 4 years in the league) he's still younger than Giddens.

Next season, I think Giddens is going to be a 25 1/2 year old free agent that has never proven anything in an NBA game.  I don't see him sticking around, honestly. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 01:17:14 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
The difference between JR being a 2 and Billy maybe being more of a 3 is so small as to be irrelevant, IMHO.  These two guys have been playing for one spot in the rotation (the same that Tony Allen's fighting for) since they day they were drafted.  If Giddens showed ANYTHING in practice, he would have gotten a few of Billy's minutes even if that meant the team was a little undersized at the wing.  Saying he didn't get minutes because he's about an inch shorter than Walker is just looking desperately for an excuse to hang onto.

I fail to see how you can dismiss that depth chart analysis out of hand simply because you want to. Your entitled to your opnion, but it's not such a slam dunk that it eliminates my argument.

in every NBDL game they played together, walker played the 3, and giddeons played the 2.

When walker was not thier, giddeons still played the 2.

When giddeons did not suit up, walker still played the 3.

It would seem to me that the Celtics consider them a SG and SF, IMO.

The celtic's  consider walker a 3, and bill a 2. Do they sometimes play the other positions at times? Yes, in the same way that ray sometimes plays SF when we need to rest paul. They wouldn't be very useful NBA players if the couldn't.

But I fail to see any factual basis for your complete disregard of the fact that the Celtics consider one part of the SG depth chart and one part of the SF depth chart other than you don;t want to deal with that head up so you made up the fact that the celtics consider them as playing for the same "i.e Tony allen's minutes"

What do you base that on other than your own personal opinion that is not supported by the facts when they are on the same team? (i.e the NBDL, the listings in the media guide, ect)

I grant you thier isn't a ton of evidence that the celtics CLEARLY see them as a SG and SF primarily to the exclusion of the other, but niether is there, in any, way, shape, or form enough evidence to hold that, qoute

" These two guys have been playing for one spot in the rotation (the same that Tony Allen's fighting for) since they day they were drafted."

Thats your opinion, which you are clearly welcome to, but it's not a counter in any way to what i posted. It's not based on fact, unless you have inside info on player evals by the coaching staff.

Yup, and I'm sticking with it.  If Giddens showed anything notable in practice, they would have found a way to get him a few minutes on the court.  Honestly, it was shocking how little they played him, not even getting garbage minutes.  When they're making that decision about the last guy to make active each game, one guy being 6'5" and the other 6'6" is not the deciding factor; if either HAS to play, we're in trouble regardless. 

They're making a CONSCIOUS decision that one player deserves the opportunity to at least get garbage minutes, and the other does not.

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 01:41:44 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
The difference between JR being a 2 and Billy maybe being more of a 3 is so small as to be irrelevant, IMHO.  These two guys have been playing for one spot in the rotation (the same that Tony Allen's fighting for) since they day they were drafted.  If Giddens showed ANYTHING in practice, he would have gotten a few of Billy's minutes even if that meant the team was a little undersized at the wing.  Saying he didn't get minutes because he's about an inch shorter than Walker is just looking desperately for an excuse to hang onto.

I fail to see how you can dismiss that depth chart analysis out of hand simply because you want to. Your entitled to your opnion, but it's not such a slam dunk that it eliminates my argument.

in every NBDL game they played together, walker played the 3, and giddeons played the 2.

When walker was not thier, giddeons still played the 2.

When giddeons did not suit up, walker still played the 3.

It would seem to me that the Celtics consider them a SG and SF, IMO.

The celtic's  consider walker a 3, and bill a 2. Do they sometimes play the other positions at times? Yes, in the same way that ray sometimes plays SF when we need to rest paul. They wouldn't be very useful NBA players if the couldn't.

But I fail to see any factual basis for your complete disregard of the fact that the Celtics consider one part of the SG depth chart and one part of the SF depth chart other than you don;t want to deal with that head up so you made up the fact that the celtics consider them as playing for the same "i.e Tony allen's minutes"

What do you base that on other than your own personal opinion that is not supported by the facts when they are on the same team? (i.e the NBDL, the listings in the media guide, ect)

I grant you thier isn't a ton of evidence that the celtics CLEARLY see them as a SG and SF primarily to the exclusion of the other, but niether is there, in any, way, shape, or form enough evidence to hold that, qoute

" These two guys have been playing for one spot in the rotation (the same that Tony Allen's fighting for) since they day they were drafted."

Thats your opinion, which you are clearly welcome to, but it's not a counter in any way to what i posted. It's not based on fact, unless you have inside info on player evals by the coaching staff.

If Giddens showed anything notable in practice, they would have found a way to get him a few minutes on the court. 

They're making a CONSCIOUS decision that one player deserves the opportunity to at least get garbage minutes, and the other does not.

You have to suit up to be available for garbage minutes. Giddens was either in the NBDL or injured for the most of the season. It would be quite different if NBA rules would allow more players to dress up and Giddens had been on hand the full season. Walker himself barely saw the court while still suiting up for a good portion of the 2nd half, that might be more telling of either Walker's skill/ability or of how Doc coaches.

In all I see Giddens as someone who could be a really good complementary player, and should be useful to us in that role.

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2009, 01:43:47 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Doc talked about Giddens today:

[Bill] Walker was ahead of [J.R.] Giddens last year, obviously. Is either of those guys going to be a big contributor this year. Who looks like their closer now?

Well, J.R. now because of Billy’s [right knee] injury. Billy being out eight weeks has really set him back. That’s a tough injury for a kid. He keeps having these little setbacks, and that obviously slows his growth. But it’s going to be tough right now for any of those guys to get on the floor. We’re pretty deep. We have good depth, great veterans. So it will be tough or them to get on the floor. I’m hoping they do. J.R. has a chance to be a terrific defender. He has to improve his offensive skills. He has to improve how to play with his offensive skills with other players. So that’s something he’s improving on. I think he’s much better than he was last year.

Link

In other words, don't expect Giddens to contribute much this season.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 01:48:19 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Doc talked about Giddens today:

[Bill] Walker was ahead of [J.R.] Giddens last year, obviously. Is either of those guys going to be a big contributor this year. Who looks like their closer now?

Well, J.R. now because of Billy’s [right knee] injury. Billy being out eight weeks has really set him back. That’s a tough injury for a kid. He keeps having these little setbacks, and that obviously slows his growth. But it’s going to be tough right now for any of those guys to get on the floor. We’re pretty deep. We have good depth, great veterans. So it will be tough or them to get on the floor. I’m hoping they do. J.R. has a chance to be a terrific defender. He has to improve his offensive skills. He has to improve how to play with his offensive skills with other players. So that’s something he’s improving on. I think he’s much better than he was last year.

Link

In other words, don't expect Giddens to contribute much this season.

What Doc mentions there is how I currently envision Giddens playing, in my opinion that's enough to get him playing time, and with the right role potentially a good asset for us on the floor. He doesn't seem to see it that way, which is fine.

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 02:16:13 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
When was Giddens hurt last year?  I don't remember him being out at all, but it very well could have slipped my mind.

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2009, 02:18:38 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
When was Giddens hurt last year?  I don't remember him being out at all, but it very well could have slipped my mind.

He hurt his wrist. He played some games while injured, though he missed some. Coincidentally, I'm pretty sure it was during the time where most of our guys were getting injured. Same thing or a similar thing occured to him during Summer League, he still played with it.

I think he had another injury while in the NBDL, but I'm not sure. Maybe a twist of an ankle... not sure.

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2009, 03:29:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
I think Jerome Moiso and Kedrick Brown both saw some action with second NBA squads so it would not surprise me to see another team take a flier on him.

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2009, 08:24:57 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2426
I think there's a fair chance that the C's don't pick up Giddens' option but I'd be amazed if he was out of the league after that. He's a talented young player with an all-round game ... some team will pick him up.

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2009, 08:44:47 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
It seems that JR Giddens has the physical tools to play in the league but the mental focus? I think he was drafted because of the 'P' word and he will be here another year for the same reason. Whether he ever has a shot at minutes on this team is another subject.

The Celtics are all but desperate to add depth at the wing...or are they? We keep Tony Allen on the roster, even after Bill Walker is injured there is no FA invitee in camp competing for a job.

The fact that Giddens and Walker see virtually no minutes in their rookie year is not a big deal given Doc Rivers penchant for not playing Rookies. If Ray Allen or Paul Pierce were out injured for a month would we sign or trade for a wing player? Play Daniels, Scalabrine and House a lot more? I bet it would be number two.

I have to ask myself.....are Giddens or Walker better able to help us right now than Rashad McCants? Carlos Delfino? There are/were a bunch of guys available out there that could help us but can they crack Doc's rotation ahead of Eddie or Scal, let alone Daniels?
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2009, 09:05:12 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I'd be shocked if J.R. was still around ... it would take a miracle of injury-induced need and opportunity, (of which he would have to then have consistent performance far beyond what he's shown so far), and financially it makes no sense at all to keep him. His value would far over-shadow his ability and contribution, and with Doc's penchant for not playing rookies, I don't see any chance that he'll get enough minutes to change anyone's mind or truly "prove" his worth at the NBA level. I actually really like the kid, and I hope the best for him, I just don't see much of a future for him at this level, (short of the affor-mentioned miracle).
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2009, 08:31:33 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Gerald's resume' included a season in which he scored in double digits, though.  Plus, even today (after 4 years in the league) he's still younger than Giddens.

Next season, I think Giddens is going to be a 25 1/2 year old free agent that has never proven anything in an NBA game.  I don't see him sticking around, honestly. 

That's a pretty solid summary of the situation.  Hard to argue with the simplicity of that viewpoint. 

I do think that if he is cut after this year (if not used in a trade mid-season) that someone will make an offer---certainly at least a non-guaranteed offer to come to training camp.  Probably a team that's not very good that needs to fill a roster with a minimum-contract player (can't see anything more than that being offered) that hopes he'll turn into a rotation player.  If he can't make that team, I doubt he'll get any other offers except from overseas.

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2009, 09:50:32 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
Someone will at least bring him to camp - hell, Pruitt's a New York Knick, anything's possible.  But, I don't see us picking up his option.  Why?  He hasn't shown any reason to believe he will contribute this year.  If he's not even in the first or second teams in scrimmages, that ought to tell you everything you need to know about how the people who know the most about him (Danny and Doc) view him. 

What's his upside at this point?  Developing into a fringe rotation player?  Getting 20 minutes a game on a team like Sacramento?  The D-League and Europe and loaded with guys like that.  Players like Giddens are dime-a-dozen. 

There's absolutely no reason to lock yourself into another year with this guy when he could be used as an expiring contract if you decline it, it's cheaper to replace him with a veteran next year, AND it gives Giddens even more incentive to get his game together if he's fighting for another year in the League. 

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2009, 10:03:37 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Tonight is JR's night to shine becuase theres no Billy there. He better show some things, otherwise Hudson could pass him as the backup 2.