Author Topic: NBA Lottery: Tues 8:30 PM EST on ESPN  (Read 28450 times)

Re: NBA Lottery: Tues 8:30 PM EST on ESPN
« Reply #285 on: May 14, 2019, 10:09:26 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
So it looks like the same teams will be in the mix for AD:

C's
Lakers
Knicks
Clippers

Anyone else you think could see taking a chance on AD?

I don't see where anyone thinks the Clippers have any shot at getting AD. They simply don't have the pieces to get him, like at all.

They’ll be in the mix. They have good assets. Just depends on what Griffin really wants.

I mean, what assets? lol The Miami pick is about it alongside a bunch of middling prospects. I think the Memphis pick is a wash with the Miami pick, and Tatum and Brown are both >>>> over any prospect that LAC has. Simply not enough to even get NOLA to consider, even below what both NYK and LAL can offer.

« Reply #286 on: May 14, 2019, 10:10:01 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Boston has to get a commitment for Kyrie before the draft if they want to get Davis.

If that happens...offer Tatum, five number ones (3 this year, Memphis and Boston next year), Williams and whoever else.

Are you daft?

If you think 3 middling picks in this draft are going to be enough then you are crazy. Going to take at least those 3 and the memphis pick plus players

« Reply #287 on: May 14, 2019, 10:15:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Boston has to get a commitment for Kyrie before the draft if they want to get Davis.

If that happens...offer Tatum, five number ones (3 this year, Memphis and Boston next year), Williams and whoever else.

This is the big issue to me...the timing. They have to somehow get some idea from Kyrie before the draft and who knows if Kyrie is willing to give it at that time. Though if they don't get a commitment by then it's safe to treat it as a no I would imagine.
Actually, I think it's the other way around. I think the Davis deal, if it is going down, would happen(be agreed to) before the draft so Boston can choose which players the Pels want to draft. Once news gets to Kyrie that the deal went down, then I think that would make him consider to stay.

« Reply #288 on: May 14, 2019, 10:18:33 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC

This is the big issue to me...the timing. They have to somehow get some idea from Kyrie before the draft and who knows if Kyrie is willing to give it at that time. Though if they don't get a commitment by then it's safe to treat it as a no I would imagine.
Actually, I think it's the other way around. I think the Davis deal, if it is going down, would happen(be agreed to) before the draft so Boston can choose which players the Pels want to draft. Once news gets to Kyrie that the deal went down, then I think that would make him consider to stay.

Whew..that would be rolling the dice big time. If Kyrie still leaves you are out all your picks and young talent for a rental in AD.

« Reply #289 on: May 14, 2019, 10:28:56 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!

C's
Lakers
Knicks
Clippers

I don't see where anyone thinks the Clippers have any shot at getting AD. They simply don't have the pieces to get him, like at all.

They’ll be in the mix. They have good assets. Just depends on what Griffin really wants.

I mean, what assets? lol The Miami pick is about it alongside a bunch of middling prospects. I think the Memphis pick is a wash with the Miami pick, and Tatum and Brown are both >>>> over any prospect that LAC has. Simply not enough to even get NOLA to consider, even below what both NYK and LAL can offer.

That’s why I said they were in the mix lol probably 4th in the race but if it’s a bidding war that’s all that matters for NOLA to clean up in a trade.

« Reply #290 on: May 14, 2019, 10:34:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

C's
Lakers
Knicks
Clippers

That’s why I said they were in the mix lol probably 4th in the race but if it’s a bidding war that’s all that matters for NOLA to clean up in a trade.
If Griffin tries to leverage Ainge by using the Clippers as an option they are going to take if Boston doesn't up the ante Danny will laugh at him and say "Yeah. Okay. Good luck with that." and go get some Chipotle. Or has a salad because he is ill. Either way.

« Reply #291 on: May 14, 2019, 10:55:16 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
My gut says Anthony Davis is in BOS soon...and not to play against us.

Zion will hit the deck plates running but that won't be good enough for AD - who supposedly is ready to win NOW.

« Reply #292 on: May 14, 2019, 10:57:10 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!

C's
Lakers
Knicks
Clippers

If Griffin tries to leverage Ainge by using the Clippers as an option they are going to take if Boston doesn't up the ante Danny will laugh at him and say "Yeah. Okay. Good luck with that." and go get some Chipotle. Or has a salad because he is ill. Either way.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall in those trade discussions.

« Reply #293 on: May 14, 2019, 10:57:18 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

That also begs the questions of whether or not the salaries of our 3 picks would be enough to keep Smart out of the deal.  The 3 picks should add up to $8.3 million in salary, and the Celtics could technically trade them 30 days after the draft in exchange for Davis.  I wonder if a Horford restructure would help the team free up enough cap space, even with Kyrie's $30 million cap hold.   

It would be great if someone could make sense of this.  Here's a list of guys I'd hope to keep after a Davis deal.  The Celtics would need to relinquish rights on Rozier and Morris in order for this to work.

2019-20 Celtics Salaries
Gordon Hayward - $32.7 Million
Kyrie Irving - $30 Million Cap Hold
Al Horford - $20 Million in salary restructure
Marcus Smart - $12 Million
Jaylen Brown - $6.5 Million
Aron Baynes - $5.4 Million
Total = $106 Million

The Celtics also have a $1.37 million trade exception. 

The salaries for outgoing players in an AD trade:
Jayson Tatum - $7.8 Million
Guerschon Yabusele - $3.1 Million
Robert Williams - $1.9 Million
Semi Ojeleye - $1.6 Million
3 Rookie Contracts - $8.3 Million
Trade Exception - $1.37 Million
Total Outgoing = $24.7 Million

Anthony Davis will make just over $28 million next year, which means $24.7 million in outgoing salary is enough for the deal to be cap compliant.  It shouldn't even matter if we are under the cap or not, so I guess we wouldn't need to relinquish the hold on Morris.  Can someone tell me if this scenario makes any sense?

« Reply #294 on: May 14, 2019, 11:10:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

That also begs the questions of whether or not the salaries of our 3 picks would be enough to keep Smart out of the deal.  The 3 picks should add up to $8.3 million in salary, and the Celtics could technically trade them 30 days after the draft in exchange for Davis.  I wonder if a Horford restructure would help the team free up enough cap space, even with Kyrie's $30 million cap hold.   

It would be great if someone could make sense of this.  Here's a list of guys I'd hope to keep after a Davis deal.  The Celtics would need to relinquish rights on Rozier and Morris in order for this to work.

2019-20 Celtics Salaries
Gordon Hayward - $32.7 Million
Kyrie Irving - $30 Million Cap Hold
Al Horford - $20 Million in salary restructure
Marcus Smart - $12 Million
Jaylen Brown - $6.5 Million
Aron Baynes - $5.4 Million
Total = $106 Million

The Celtics also have a $1.37 million trade exception.  The salaries for outgoing players in an AD trade:

Jayson Tatum - $7.8 Million
Guerschon Yabusele - $3.1 Million
Robert Williams - $1.9 Million
Semi Ojeleye - $1.6 Million
3 Rookie Contracts - $8.3 Million
Trade Exception - $1.37 Million
Total Outgoing = $24.7 Million

Anthony Davis will make just over $28 million next year, which means $24.7 million in outgoing salary is enough for the deal to be cap compliant.  It shouldn't even matter if we are under the cap or not, so I guess we wouldn't need to relinquish the hold on Morris.  Can someone tell me if this scenario makes any sense?
You are trading 7 players. New Orleans would need to have 7 empty roster slots. That means New Orleans would need to renounce players, like almost everyone but Randle, to do the trade. And that would include Elfrid Payton who New Orleans values highly, like way more than any of the draft picks or Yabu, Semi and Williams.

I guess it's possible but I am sure Griffin will want either Smart or Brown than the Celtics end of bench flotsam and jetsam

« Reply #295 on: May 14, 2019, 11:16:42 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Yep Smart almost always needs to be included in the deal. He’s an asset at his salary. Don’t put a ton of stock into Pelicans making the draft pick selection. As long as the Celtics get best available, they will be valuable to the rebuilding pelicans. It’s not like a car when you take it off the lot it depreciates.

I think Tatum Smart Williams and some picks is exactly what NO is looking for for an expiring contract.

« Reply #296 on: May 14, 2019, 11:22:41 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Horford is not giving up $10 million a year unless he gets a 5 year $100 Million contract.

He has shown major signs up breaking down this year. I really hope he opts in
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #297 on: May 14, 2019, 11:28:13 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Horford is not giving up $10 million a year unless he gets a 5 year $100 Million contract.

Early reports are already indicating that he would take a discount for a 3 to 4 year deal.  Horford has already made over $150 million in his career.  He's reached a point where he'll sacrifice some money in order to have long term stability in Boston.  My guess is that we see a 2 year deal at $20 million per year with a player option for year 3. 

« Reply #298 on: May 14, 2019, 11:29:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Early reports are already indicating that he would take a discount for a 3 to 4 year deal.  Horford has already made over $150 million in his career.  He's reached a point where he'll sacrifice some money in order to have long term stability in Boston.  My guess is that we see a 2 year deal at $20 million per year with a player option for year 3.
That's what I've been thinking as well. Plus, Al seems like a solid dude. I think he'll take it.

He seems invested in this team
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #299 on: May 14, 2019, 11:32:47 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I'm surprised about how little talk there's been about the Memphis pick.

I feel like Memphis moving up is bad for the C's. Them having the 8th pick was perfect. It didn't convey but wasn't good enough to improve their team to the point that it might hurt their future pick. Now, with another #2, they might be able to improve.

Maybe the positive version of this is that they are now more likely to fully invest in a rebuild and that usually takes a long time?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008