Author Topic: 2015 Clippers Pick  (Read 9714 times)

Re: 2015 Clippers Pick
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 05:41:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
In trade scenarios when I suggest to trade the Clippers pick, what I really mean is to trade the lesser of the Celtics pick and the Clippers pick.  The safe assumption is the Clippers pick will be the lesser one, but, no, Danny shouldn't trade any of the unprotected picks we have as a throw-away.  In the least it should be protected so we're not accidentally trading away our better pick of the two (or three, depending on Philly).

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 05:42:32 PM »

Offline celticbos

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
I will take a pick from Ainge at 9 with his track record for talent. His later picks have proven to be very useful and with better talent to pick at 9 it wouldn't be terrible.

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 05:56:23 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Does anybody see Ainge using one of our many picks to move up in position in the upcoming draft or gain another pick?? 

Just can't see ainge wanting to pick 9 1st round picks in the next 4-5 years.

I agree, he almost has to move some of them.

It's a shame in a way, because Ainge is a good drafter. We might get more value if he could use the picks, then flip the players once they have turned out to be good.

For example, I bet Sully has more trade value than the 21st and 22nd picks (combined) in the typical draft. Even factoring the Melo bust into the picture, Ainge generated "plus" value from those picks.

Not sure how the timing works though.

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 11:52:36 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Your logic is solid but I don't think we're getting a lottery pick next year. Blake Griffin is wildly underrated all of a sudden; he's not just a dunker anymore. I really believe he could be the number one guy on a championship team. Of course in an ultra-competitive West it's entirely possible that they could end up missing out on the playoffs if CP3 suffers a major injury. But I don't think he will and they could still slip in as a seventh or eighth seed because I believe Blake is that good.

You can't really assert a claim that's based on an improbable assumption (CP3 injury or Clips sinking five seeds because they can't bring in many big names; unlike Memphis, the Clips will improve internally next year thanks to Blake and a few others, and unlike the Knicks, they don't choke). Nice analysis though, this pick could very well end up being much better than most think, whether it's the 12th pick or the 17th pick (vs. the 22nd or 27th).

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 02:13:57 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Your logic is solid but I don't think we're getting a lottery pick next year. Blake Griffin is wildly underrated all of a sudden; he's not just a dunker anymore. I really believe he could be the number one guy on a championship team. Of course in an ultra-competitive West it's entirely possible that they could end up missing out on the playoffs if CP3 suffers a major injury. But I don't think he will and they could still slip in as a seventh or eighth seed because I believe Blake is that good.

You can't really assert a claim that's based on an improbable assumption (CP3 injury or Clips sinking five seeds because they can't bring in many big names; unlike Memphis, the Clips will improve internally next year thanks to Blake and a few others, and unlike the Knicks, they don't choke). Nice analysis though, this pick could very well end up being much better than most think, whether it's the 12th pick or the 17th pick (vs. the 22nd or 27th).

I agree, I don't get how a one month sample w/o CP3 isn't enough to say they won't fall out of the playoffs but NO SAMPLE (pure speculation) is enough to guarantee they will fall out. There is not one shred of evidence that this team will fall off a cliff without CP3, there is proof that they might not, even if it is only a month's worth. You can't base it off of the way they played at another time w/o him when they have different pieces/players and a new coach and the growth that Blake and Jordan have had is another plus for them.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 02:21:30 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
the Main thing we have going for us---is that Donald Sterling owns the Clippers---and he be tired of actually paying payers.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 07:08:05 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I agree 100 percent with the OP.  TP

The western conference is so strong, and I'll also the Jazz (I think the same record as the Blazers since December), and Kings could improve a good amount next year especially if they hit a homerun in the draft for immediate help.   

Why look to trade that pick now unless if we get a really, really good offer.  At least hold on to the pick until next trade deadline.

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 09:38:15 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I agree on keeping the pick.  I still think Doc is incredibly overrated as a coach and that by next year, that will kick in.  I don't think they'll miss the playoffs but I could see that pick settling in around 20, which in another draft projected to be pretty deep, wouldn't suck.

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 11:26:07 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Yeah this pick could be much more valuable than a throw in.

But if it greases the wheels on a trade heist, like Bass, another role player, and a pick for Asik, i would pull the trigger.

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 11:31:42 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

But if it greases the wheels on a trade heist, like Bass, another role player, and a pick for Asik, i would pull the trigger.

Don't see getting asik as a heist. Too one dimensional.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2014, 12:44:30 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I don't see the wheels falling off of the Clippers.  It could happen but quite a bit would have to go wrong I think.  A catastrophic injury to Chris Paul would be major of course.

The pick is what it is.  I see it as more of a trade chip.  It has some value but isn't going to change anyone's landscape significantly.

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2014, 12:55:13 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Don't see getting asik as a heist. Too one dimensional.
Asik = most overrated guy on Celtics Blog lol
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2014, 01:06:54 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I don't see the wheels falling off of the Clippers.  It could happen but quite a bit would have to go wrong I think.  A catastrophic injury to Chris Paul would be major of course.

The pick is what it is.  I see it as more of a trade chip.  It has some value but isn't going to change anyone's landscape significantly.

I agree it's unlikely but I don't think it requires as you say the wheels to fall off. They're in an ultra competitive conference and only 8 teams can make it out of maybe 13 deserving. They're only a rough stretch of losses from missing the playoffs this year. I mean right now the team that eliminated LAC last year in the playoffs is on the outside looking in...

Again I said its unlikely for sure but it's not inconceivable and doesn't require a catastrophe.

In 2007 the Golden State warriors eliminated a 67 win dallas mavericks team in the playoffs. A year later that GS team won around fifty games and missed the playoffs. It happens. My point all along however has been you don't move the pick like it's not a very good trade chip bc it has legitimate potential to be very very valuable.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2014, 03:15:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Wouldn't 't it be poetic justice if the "doc" pick help land. Kevin Love .......