Author Topic: Wallace untouchable?  (Read 5652 times)

Re: Wallace untouchable?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 03:39:37 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I look at Wallace as the X-Factor. He is capable of dominating a game or a series in a the playoffs. Will he do it, Who knows? X-Factor.

He's the wild card baby!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYtjpIwamos
(sorry for the "B" word in the title of the video.)

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 03:41:11 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The problem with trading Wallace is that they need to get a legit, rotation quality center in return.  Given his contract and age, it is unlikely they would be able to get that, unless they were taking on an even worse contract (like Diop) for a worse player.

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 03:50:20 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I've never pinned the blame of the Celtics struggles on Wallace, I just don't like his game and would love to see him shipped out for an expiring (preferably an expiring PG or C) to allow Baby and Williams more time on the floor. He has not lived up to expectations or his contract and now he's skipping practices*? I'd like to see the C's go another direction.

Also, If the C's didn't have Wallace on the books for next season they'd be more willing to take on salary at the deadline and that is a fact.

* - According to WEEI on air today. I'm trying to find a link (better source) so don't quote me yet.

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 04:10:30 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Alright, no link but I heard that on WEEI's Dale and Holley.

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 04:13:45 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Wallace isn't the problem, per se. He's doing exactly what should reasonably be expected of him this year: he's slightly worse than last year.

The problem, as we should have seen, is Doc's usage of him. We have a 25 year old center, whose fg% and points are up from last year, while his rebounding an blocks are the same. Turnovers and assists are close too. Personal fouls are down. He's gotten noticeably better every year in the league. Our team has a noticeable problem rebounding. And in case you were wondering, both his raw +/- and his adjusted +/- are in the positive. Are his minutes up from last year? NO. Down.

We have a 35 year old center who shoots .408, has never been a great rebounder, and shoots .296 from 3 but shoots 4.6 of them a game. Yet he's stealing minutes from the 25 year old. Why? All I can see is because Doc's the coach and Sheed's the veteran.

So glad we're killing the confidence and building the resentment of one of the league bargains, a guy who actually LIKES mucking it up in the paint and doing dirty work, two seasons before his contract is up...I would not be at all surprised to see him take a pay CUT to get out of here to a team that wants him.

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 04:54:20 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
The problem with trading Wallace is that they need to get a legit, rotation quality center in return.  Given his contract and age, it is unlikely they would be able to get that, unless they were taking on an even worse contract (like Diop) for a worse player.

Right. I don't see a better (yet attainable) back up center out there at all.

Sheed is still easily one of the best back up 4/5's in the NBA.

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 05:41:25 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I can't believe all these comments have been posted in this thread, and nobody mentioned 'Sheed's trade kicker, 15% of what's left on the contract, due at the time of the trade.  If he gets traded, he gets a HUGE paycheck, around $2.5 million, as a BONUS.  His regular salary still has to be paid for those years...

I don't know if Sheed the player is untouchable, but Sheed the contract definitely is, for this year at least.

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 06:09:53 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
Of course it's only a guess, but I believe Sheed can and will turn it on for the playoffs.  I also think this is moot if KG can't turn it on for the playoffs.

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 06:27:21 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Gonna need more than that J.

Not that i don't trust you, but if that were true and he was skipping, boston media would be on it like flies on poop.

Find it hard to believe that wouldn't be EVERYWHERE.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 07:43:21 PM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24

Gonna need more than that J.

Not that i don't trust you, but if that were true and he was skipping, boston media would be on it like flies on poop.

Find it hard to believe that wouldn't be EVERYWHERE.

Nobody is untouchable - if they could get a better contract back or a guy who actually tries more than once every three games ... why wouldn't you pounce on it?