Author Topic: What would it take for Michael Sweetney to make this roster? (merged)  (Read 49079 times)

Re: What would it take for Michael Sweetney to make this roster? (merged)
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 01:21:28 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
C'mon children, behave....    ::)

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 01:25:06 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Knock off the infighting, guys.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2009, 01:29:04 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Heh, I said he was competing with Giddens and Walker. Silly me, I didn't notice that Sweetney was a PF!

Yes...Mike Sweetney will push Shelden Williams to the limit, and show Williams that he needs to earn the right to ride the bus! I like this. If Shelden stays, he's proven himself, somewhat. If Sweetney stays, then congrats to him

Great move by Ainge. Good to see he's not sleeping on the job. That's why he's the GM.  :D

Sweetney has great hands and a soft touch around the rim, if in shape he can play a bit (big IF).  His game is very similiar to Big Baby.  

I was impressed with what I saw of him back in his rookie year with the Knicks.  It just seems to me that Ainge is going to great lengths to solidify the front court to protect against the likely scenario that KG and/or Scal miss time.  

Last year, we had a glut of wings, most of whom couldn't earn court time.  And we just didn't have the bigs we needed, I think I even saw Billy Walker playing some 4 last year.

This is why I think Sweetney will make the team over a guy like Giddens.  We just don't need both Walker and Giddens, especially not now that we have Daniels on board.  The extra depth is better served in the front court, even if Giddens has more potential.  

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2009, 01:47:56 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Unless someone is traded, or Sweetney really plays very well it will be quite tough for him to make the team.

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2009, 06:26:33 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
This is why I think Sweetney will make the team over a guy like Giddens.  We just don't need both Walker and Giddens, especially not now that we have Daniels on board.  The extra depth is better served in the front court, even if Giddens has more potential.  

I guess now that Walker is hurt we will be keeping Giddens regardless. I hope it is nothing too serious. I agree we were short a big it seemed like last year, but this year we have plenty IMO. The difference is in quality for me, if KG got hurt last year we had Mikki or Powe. This year we have Sheed or Williams.

Last Year  This Year

KG          KG
Perk        Perk
Baby        Baby
Scal        Scal
Leon        Williams
Mikki       Sheed

I like Sweetney's game but as someone stated, it is very similar to Baby's.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2009, 06:39:49 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

I guess now that Walker is hurt we will be keeping Giddens regardless. I hope it is nothing too serious. I agree we were short a big it seemed like last year, but this year we have plenty IMO. The difference is in quality for me, if KG got hurt last year we had Mikki or Powe. This year we have Sheed or Williams.

Last Year  This Year

KG          KG
Perk        Perk
Baby        Baby
Scal        Scal
Leon        Williams
Mikki       Sheed

I like Sweetney's game but as someone stated, it is very similar to Baby's.

Good points.  That's a shame about Billy.  Hopefully its nothing serious. 

I think you are right though, Billy going down definetly hurts Sweetney's chances.

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2009, 07:18:35 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
apparently it would take a summer of eating at subway to join the team.

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2009, 08:04:01 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
apparently it would take a summer of eating at subway to join the team.

TP

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2009, 08:28:07 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
STILL THINK WITHOUT WALKER we are bit thin at SF..esp with daniels playing the one and two....

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2009, 08:54:25 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
This is a huge opportunity for Giddens. Let's see if he can step up.

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2009, 08:58:39 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Does anyone know if Billy already had X-rays? typically that's the first thing done, then if negative they move to the MRI.

I'm shocked at the lack of information on Bill's injury. All we've heard is that he's getting an MRI. At least I haven't seen anything different yet. Honestly hope it's nothing major, hopefully just a strain or something.

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2009, 09:08:34 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Also a chance for Hudson, allowing Daniels to move more to the 3? 

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2009, 09:15:25 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It seems like a potential TA/Scal trade wouldn't happen until midseason, so I would rule that out for now.

Knowing that Hudson is up there in age for a rookie, maybe the Celtics drafted him as the most NBA-ready player available, and they'll only keep him if he proves he can play right now. This hasn't been something Danny has done in the past with his 2nd round picks, but maybe something about the team's current situation caused him to think that way. Perhaps if Lester doesn't show that he can play, they would cut him and keep Sweetney just to have an extra body around.

Yes perhaps, but I'm sure Ainge would rather see Hudson develop into a young usable asset than simply to fill the last roster spot with a warm body.  In fact, I could see him carrying 14 and not bother with Sweetney at all.  Both Sweetney and Williams won't be much more than you seen to this point in their careers, except Williams seems more like a true serviceable big man right now.

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2009, 09:25:21 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Mike Sweetney got a camp invite.  I can't see him making the team, but under what circumstances could it happen?

(This is one of those "discuss" threads...  I'll try to add my input later, but I was curious to see what everyone else was thinking.)

It would have to be like that Simpsons episode where Burns hired the all star cast of baseball players, but then things happened to them so Homer's team ended up getting to play in the softball game anyway

KG gets taken by aliens
Scala gets arrested for 26 murders in Lousiana
BBD loses so much weight that he shows up looking like a Kenyan marathon runner and does commercials with Jared
Perk finds Jesus and quits basketball to roam the Earth with Jules
Sheed freezes to death on Mt Everest
Sheldon Williams goes back to Duke and ends up in Coach K's basement dungeon with K there saying "put the lotion in the basket"
Robert Swift finishes covering his body in meaningless tattoos and ends up dieing of ink poisoning
Kevin McHale decides not to come out of retirement and walk through that door
Sue Bird, Rebecca Lobo, and Lisa Leslie decide not to make the move from the WNBA to the NBA
A talking basketball playing dog cannot be found
Semih Erden's plane disappears over the Atlantic on his way to play here

Under those conditions he could conceivably make the team.

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2009, 09:32:13 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
Sweetney is TOO BIG TO FAIL
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.