Author Topic: What would it take for Michael Sweetney to make this roster? (merged)  (Read 49066 times)

Re: What would it take for Michael Sweetney to make this roster? (merged)
« Reply #180 on: October 21, 2009, 10:52:54 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
By the way, if he's lost 40 lbs already, maybe he can lose another 40 in a month or two...and that would be enough to regain his shape
He's gone, we aren't going to cut a player who can contribute now for him. Not when he still has a weight issue and needs to get in even better shape.

If we were going to wait around for a talented offensive big to get into physical shape to play we would have kept Leon Powe.

There is a basic difference: Sweetney can give us 10 min right now, Powe unfortunately wouldn't have been able to do so until mid season
I don't think we'd want Sweetney in for 10 minutes in a game that counted right now. Not at his current fitness level.

Why not? He's proven he can play well at short intervals. He has done a very decent job in preseason.
Offensively, sure. But not on defense. You can't have a 10 minute big not be able to make the rotations, if he actually learned them ever.

« Reply #181 on: October 21, 2009, 12:01:09 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
By the way, if he's lost 40 lbs already, maybe he can lose another 40 in a month or two...and that would be enough to regain his shape
He's gone, we aren't going to cut a player who can contribute now for him. Not when he still has a weight issue and needs to get in even better shape.

If we were going to wait around for a talented offensive big to get into physical shape to play we would have kept Leon Powe.

There is a basic difference: Sweetney can give us 10 min right now, Powe unfortunately wouldn't have been able to do so until mid season
I don't think we'd want Sweetney in for 10 minutes in a game that counted right now. Not at his current fitness level.

Why not? He's proven he can play well at short intervals. He has done a very decent job in preseason.
Offensively, sure. But not on defense. You can't have a 10 minute big not be able to make the rotations, if he actually learned them ever.

I think he must have actually leant them, since Georgetown is not a minor school  ::) I would keep him and cut or ideally trade someone else. And yes, that person would be Tony Allen.

« Reply #182 on: October 21, 2009, 12:02:52 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
...and yet I know that Tony won't be waived. His famous trade value makes him "uncuttable" for this economy in crisis  >:(

« Reply #183 on: October 21, 2009, 12:04:36 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think he must have actually leant them, since Georgetown is not a minor school  ::) I would keep him and cut or ideally trade someone else. And yes, that person would be Tony Allen.
Uh he didn't look very solid in the defensive rotations this pre-season. I fail to see what Georgetown has to do with that.

Tony Allen can contribute more than Sweetney both as a contract to match with others for a trade, and as a player. Which is a sad statement on Sweetney...

« Reply #184 on: October 21, 2009, 12:05:47 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
...and yet I know that Tony won't be waived. His famous trade value makes him "uncuttable" for this economy in crisis  >:(

Forget trade value, he won't be cut because it would require the team to eat his contract (and the lux tax).  If they keep him on the roster, they have the option of trying to unload the contract and save some extra cash off it, even if they can't turn it into a valuable player.

« Reply #185 on: October 21, 2009, 12:09:29 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
Uh he didn't look very solid in the defensive rotations this pre-season. I fail to see what Georgetown has to do with that.

Tony Allen can contribute more than Sweetney both as a contract to match with others for a trade, and as a player. Which is a sad statement on Sweetney...

Georgetown basketball is known for his big centers such as Patrick Ewing. I just supposed they taught him about defensive rotations there...

Tony Allen is useless and at some points even detrimental for the team (see Chicago series)

« Reply #186 on: October 22, 2009, 07:42:10 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Mike Sweetney got a camp invite.  I can't see him making the team, but under what circumstances could it happen?

(This is one of those "discuss" threads...  I'll try to add my input later, but I was curious to see what everyone else was thinking.)

"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-