Author Topic: What’s the Last TV Series You Watched?  (Read 57619 times)

Re: What’s the Last TV Series You Watched?
« Reply #420 on: March 23, 2024, 07:32:42 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Guy Ritchie’s “The Gentlemen” on Netflix has been pretty entertaining so far.  I think I’m 3
Episodes in.
Yup

« Reply #421 on: April 03, 2024, 10:50:46 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Shogun on FX. Not bad….
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #422 on: April 09, 2024, 11:28:31 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Looking forward to the Fallout series on Amazon.  They moved up the release to tomorrow instead of Thursday.  The trailer looks good.   

« Reply #423 on: April 09, 2024, 11:45:43 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
Shogun. Terrific

« Reply #424 on: April 10, 2024, 10:05:18 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I feel like Shogun is one of the best shows I've seen on TV in a while. As someone who visited Japan a lot when I was younger as my dad was based in Kobe and Osaka, I feel they really nailed the "feel" of it (even though it was filmed in Vancouver). Just the vibe of the people, even though it's obviously from 400 years ago, I feel like they got the culture of Japan right. Love everything about it - the costumes, the feudal culture, and the acting.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #425 on: April 10, 2024, 10:05:53 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Looking forward to the Fallout series on Amazon.  They moved up the release to tomorrow instead of Thursday.  The trailer looks good.

As someone who played the game and has always loved that dystopic setting I'm really looking forward to it too  :laugh:

« Reply #426 on: April 10, 2024, 10:49:28 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

As someone who played the game and has always loved that dystopic setting I'm really looking forward to it too  :laugh:

As somebody who hasn't played the game and knows very little about it, can you tell me the synopsis of it? From what I read, it's people coming out of a shelter and finding earth has monsters after the apocalypse.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #427 on: April 10, 2024, 11:06:58 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I started watching Warrior. First season done, into season 2.  The martial arts in it are excellent. They really got actors that knew what they were doing and the story itself is engaging.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #428 on: April 10, 2024, 12:14:36 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

As somebody who hasn't played the game and knows very little about it, can you tell me the synopsis of it? From what I read, it's people coming out of a shelter and finding earth has monsters after the apocalypse.
So picture the height of the cold war, and nuclear war seems at least realistic. Everything has a shade of 1950's aesthetic with advanced technology (but imagined from like the 50's.)

Society creates "vaults" with different objectives littered throughout the U.S. They are essentially big time capsules for humanity to ride out nuclear holocaust. Eventually the world gets nuked, and each game is set within a different area of the country with different vaults. Fallout 3 was DC, one was in Vegas and the most recent was set in Boston.

It tends to be over the top violent, but with a 50's nostalgia lens. There are also ton's of interesting factions that all have shades of grey when it comes to morality.
#JKJB

« Reply #429 on: April 10, 2024, 02:36:56 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

So picture the height of the cold war, and nuclear war seems at least realistic. Everything has a shade of 1950's aesthetic with advanced technology (but imagined from like the 50's.)

Society creates "vaults" with different objectives littered throughout the U.S. They are essentially big time capsules for humanity to ride out nuclear holocaust. Eventually the world gets nuked, and each game is set within a different area of the country with different vaults. Fallout 3 was DC, one was in Vegas and the most recent was set in Boston.

It tends to be over the top violent, but with a 50's nostalgia lens. There are also ton's of interesting factions that all have shades of grey when it comes to morality.

@Amonkey as @A Future of Stevens said above, it's basically a story about the remnants of post-apocalyptic humanity emerging into a Mad Max-style world that has been devastated by nuclear war, after having hidden in vaults to try and survive it. While Mad Max was grungy, Fallout has a 1950s feel in terms of the technology - no smartphones or high tech stuff from the "world that was" - harkening back to a time when the fear of nuclear war was very real for a lot of people. The ruined surface still has pockets of radiation, so most of the survivors are still in the vaults, but some brave souls dare to make their way out, either for adventuring or for necessity. Those who venture to the surface - a lawless place populated by roving bands of criminals, mutants, ghouls and worse - need to carry Geiger counters with them to make sure they don't get too exposed for too long. There are settlements in the surface where there's some thin veneer of civilization - in the game those are where you trade.

So kind of Mad Max meets The Last of Us meets the Walking Dead is probably the best way to describe it.

« Reply #430 on: April 10, 2024, 04:50:01 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

@Amonkey as @A Future of Stevens said above, it's basically a story about the remnants of post-apocalyptic humanity emerging into a Mad Max-style world that has been devastated by nuclear war, after having hidden in vaults to try and survive it. While Mad Max was grungy, Fallout has a 1950s feel in terms of the technology - no smartphones or high tech stuff from the "world that was" - harkening back to a time when the fear of nuclear war was very real for a lot of people. The ruined surface still has pockets of radiation, so most of the survivors are still in the vaults, but some brave souls dare to make their way out, either for adventuring or for necessity. Those who venture to the surface - a lawless place populated by roving bands of criminals, mutants, ghouls and worse - need to carry Geiger counters with them to make sure they don't get too exposed for too long. There are settlements in the surface where there's some thin veneer of civilization - in the game those are where you trade.

So kind of Mad Max meets The Last of Us meets the Walking Dead is probably the best way to describe it.

I am sold. I am looking forward to it.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #431 on: April 10, 2024, 06:09:29 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622

I am sold. I am looking forward to it.

Sold indeed! Good preview Oz, TP

« Reply #432 on: April 10, 2024, 08:15:52 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
I started watching Warrior. First season done, into season 2.  The martial arts in it are excellent. They really got actors that knew what they were doing and the story itself is engaging.

It’s so good… Really disappointed that HBO/Max isn’t making any more seasons.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 09:36:55 PM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #433 on: April 10, 2024, 11:25:55 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

First episode was excellent. Will certainly be watching another tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 12:56:12 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #434 on: April 11, 2024, 01:45:43 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807

First episode was excellent. Will certainly be watching another tomorrow.

I'm not a gamer and had not heard about Fallout.  Based on your comments I watched the first episode and really enjoyed it.  Thanks for the recommendation.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain