Author Topic: NBA submits proposal to lower draft age limit to 18  (Read 3917 times)

NBA submits proposal to lower draft age limit to 18
« on: February 22, 2019, 12:55:17 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
 This is a meaningless pr move by silver because no change can be made before the 2022 draft

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2019/02/21/nba-draft-eligible-age-limit-proposal-18-years-old/2942228002/

The NBA has submitted an official proposal to the National Basketball Players Association that would lower the draft-eligible age from 19 to 18, according to a report from Jeff Zillgitt of USA TODAY Sports.

The NBPA and executive director Michele Roberts planned to review the proposal on Monday at a post-All-Star break meeting, Amick adds.

Both the NBA and the NBPA have held extensive discussions on lowering the age throughout the season, but two significant hurdles remain in the way: Commissioner Adam Silver wanting player-agents to provide medical information on prospects for NBA teams, and the league wanting to mandate that players attend and give some form of participation during the pre-draft combine, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reports. To this point, the NBPA has pushed back against both of these ideas.

In the present day, players must attend college for one season before declaring for the NBA Draft. Prospects such as Duke’s Zion Williamson have raised questions about the legitimacy of this rule, with Williamson widely regarded as being NBA-ready before his collegiate season began.

Should the NBA and NBPA mutually agree on a proposal to lower the draft age, the league wants to give teams significant time before putting the rule into effect, according to Amick. The earliest draft with an altered minimum-age would likely be the 2022 NBA Draft, or three years from June.

Re: NBA submits proposal to lower draft age limit to 18
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 04:05:13 PM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
mehhh, I don't know what the solution is. I'm actually more in favor in working something out where college players get paid. I mean I understand the other side of this argument. Players should have the ability to enter the draft straight out of high school IF THEY'RE READY.

Which is where I think the problem is and is the reason why they implemented the age limit to begin with. Nba teams went to the other extreme whereas they were so caught up in "potential" and were so scared to miss out on the next Kobe or Garnett , that they started disregarding NCAA period and the NBA suffered for it. Also NBA veterans were getting disrespected. I remember back when the Celtics drafted Gerald Green , Fans were so in love with his "potential" (Him being the next Tracy Mcgrady) that folks were unwilling to bring in quality vets in return. I remember debating a guy who was deadset against trading Green for anyone even 2004 Allen Iverson (who still had plenty of gas in the tank).

Quality of the NBA suffered as well as the quality of players in the draft. 

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 04:16:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If they do this, they should make it so teams can designate guys they drafted in the 1st round as two way players for roster purposes.

I'm fine with 18 year olds getting drafted, but the vast majority of the time they aren't going to be ready to play winning ball at the NBA level.  It'd be nice if teams could have them under control, give them a lot of run in the G-League, without eating up roster spots that could otherwise be used on veterans that know how to play.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 04:33:04 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Don't understand the rationale of forcing stars to get half of 1 year of an AA. They're 18. Let them do whatever the hell they want to do. College isn't for everyone. If you're Bill Gates or LeBron James, why go to college when you can change the world?

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 06:07:28 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
The NBA needs to continue to develop the G-League into a legitimate developmental minor league.   Players need to be encouraged to consider professional developmental paths either through the G-League or through international pro-leagues instead of putting their careers at risk for the NCAA exploitation machine.

And the NBA needs to keep working towards having developmental roster spots and appropriate contracts for that.

Basically, the NBA needs to continue to wean itself off from depending on the NCAA for player development and take full control of it's talent development process the way baseball and hockey do.   Treat these young men as professionals who want to pursue their trade as soon as they are ready.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 06:27:59 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
The NBA needs to continue to develop the G-League into a legitimate developmental minor league.   Players need to be encouraged to consider professional developmental paths either through the G-League or through international pro-leagues instead of putting their careers at risk for the NCAA exploitation machine.

And the NBA needs to keep working towards having developmental roster spots and appropriate contracts for that.

Basically, the NBA needs to continue to wean itself off from depending on the NCAA for player development and take full control of it's talent development process the way baseball and hockey do.   Treat these young men as professionals who want to pursue their trade as soon as they are ready.

This would be my preference as well.  In fact, I wear my red claws cap all the time and frequently get asked about it where I live.  I get the "NCAA as free development for NBA" angle, but I have to think NBA would much prefer to get a piece of the billion dollar industry that is NCAA men's basketball.  If this is going to happen, it is going to take some bigger name players and maybe some bigger name coaches cracking the seal.   I was disappointed when the Syracuse recruit who was going to take this approach opted for a New Balance "internship" instead.

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 06:56:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If they do this, they should make it so teams can designate guys they drafted in the 1st round as two way players for roster purposes.

I'm fine with 18 year olds getting drafted, but the vast majority of the time they aren't going to be ready to play winning ball at the NBA level.  It'd be nice if teams could have them under control, give them a lot of run in the G-League, without eating up roster spots that could otherwise be used on veterans that know how to play.
are they really any worse off then someone with a year or 2 of college?  I haven't seen the analysis but I suspect it isn't much different
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 07:07:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

even a year of Duke where you pay for nothing, get world class coaching and exposure, get world class trainers and training facilities, and where you are on television all the time is worth far more than any player at that age could reasonably make for 1 year anywhere other than the NBA. Just take someone like Jeremy Tyler. Went overseas for 140k a year flamed out there, couldn't play at Louisville, and ended up as a minimum salary player in the NBA for just 3 years.  Had he gone to Louisville I'm sure it would have been better for him.

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 07:20:50 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

even a year of Duke where you pay for nothing, get world class coaching and exposure, get world class trainers and training facilities, and where you are on television all the time is worth far more than any player at that age could reasonably make for 1 year anywhere other than the NBA. Just take someone like Jeremy Tyler. Went overseas for 140k a year flamed out there, couldn't play at Louisville, and ended up as a minimum salary player in the NBA for just 3 years.  Had he gone to Louisville I'm sure it would have been better for him.

I imagine Tyler's talent level had more to do with him not making it than anything else.  And it's not like there aren't plenty of one-and-dones that flame out as well.  It might be interesting to do a comparison of success rates for players coming from high school vs. spending one year in D1.  As far as exposure goes, Zion was a star before he ever stepped foot on campus.

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 07:27:42 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I never like the one year rule..players going leave anyway after their freshman year so just let them declare after playing high school..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 07:49:22 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
The NCAA has had a rough few years. The corruption at high levels, the one-and-done phenomenon, the general trend toward players taking control over their careers...it's all working against them. They really have no convincing arguments about how the system helps players, especially the stars.

We may look back on this blown out sneaker as the tipping point. Funny how sometimes a small thing can seem to matter a lot.

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 07:49:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I imagine Tyler's talent level had more to do with him not making it than anything else.  And it's not like there aren't plenty of one-and-dones that flame out as well.  It might be interesting to do a comparison of success rates for players coming from high school vs. spending one year in D1.  As far as exposure goes, Zion was a star before he ever stepped foot on campus.
Yeah, Tyler just sucked. Averaged 2 points and 2 rebounds a game in Israel, and around 10 points and 7 rebounds in Japan. Not like he was ever performing well against less than elite talent
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 08:16:25 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yeah, Tyler just sucked. Averaged 2 points and 2 rebounds a game in Israel, and around 10 points and 7 rebounds in Japan. Not like he was ever performing well against less than elite talent
Europe stats are a lot different though.  Brandon Jennings averaged 5.5 points in Europe. Until he got hurt he never averagd less than 15.4 ppg in the NBA. 

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 08:24:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Europe stats are a lot different though.  Brandon Jennings averaged 5.5 points in Europe. Until he got hurt he never averagd less than 15.4 ppg in the NBA.
I fully realise that. He still averaged terrible stats, and didn’t manage to dominate Japan like he should’ve, if he was that talented.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 09:35:22 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
This is a good move. Allows players to test the draft. NCAA will never pay players. Why they should do though is allow kids who don’t get drafted an opportunity to play college ball.