Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 122294 times)

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged topics]
« Reply #765 on: July 12, 2018, 01:25:46 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Ever notice how under Brad anyone that gets out of line even a little ends up gone? Sully. Rondo. IT. Now Smart. And before that Ainge dealt with Big Baby, Delonte, and Ray back in the day. Even a guy or two who really improved had to get paid somewhere else. Like KO.

The Celts have kind of become a place for only 3 kinds of players....stars totally doing their jobs (like Al or Tatum). If you're a former star not doing your job you go to the Nets. Right Pierce? Another kind of player is a cheap as heck one with a lot to prove. Like Evan Turner or Shane Larkin or Theis. Another kind of player is a guy on a rookie deal.

Not a lot of role players. Baynes. Baynes is the role player at a mid level. And that's practically it.

There are no non stars that got paid and stuck around. That doesn't happen here.

:o

« Reply #766 on: July 12, 2018, 01:45:00 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm getting the feeling the Celtics maybe know more about the Smart issue than we do.

It's almost like the hand thing bugged them more than they let on. Maybe a lot more.
Agree completely. Last year apparently the Cs offered 4 years at over $11 million per, Smart said no. After an injury riddled season, 11 games lost to a self-inflicted injury, and another awful offensive season, the front office isn't exactly jumping up and down to offer him an offer. It seems like they have even stepped back and removed that offer they gave him before last season.

Behind the scenes, I agree completely, the Celtics know a ton more that people don't that perhaps has soured their stance on Smart.

I have to say, having a player act so immaturely as to punch a glass picture and hurt himself in anger hours after the loss that left him out for 11 games(and luckily not more as reports are he came very close to doing much more severe damage), would make me deeply question giving such a person a long term lucrative contract.

They're saying all the right things publicly but it seems they're ready to move on. Rosier frankly is much better and much less headache

I do find it strange if there is any truth to the lack of communication from the Celtics if they plan on matching.

Either the source is lying or the Celtics do not intend to match.

If it’s the latter, the Celtics should be careful because his options are running out and he may be forced to accept the QO and they may get stuck with a guy they alienated... who is playing for a contract as an UFA with a NTC. That could end poorly.

Hopefully everything works out for Smart and us, hopefully together.

There is zero chance of that happening
Actually players that sign their qualifying offer get a no trade clause as part of the deal for that year they play under the qualifying offer, So if Smart signs the QO, its a certainty he gets the NTC.

« Reply #767 on: July 12, 2018, 05:49:16 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
"I do find it strange if there is any truth to the lack of communication from the Celtics if they plan on matching. Either the source is lying or the Celtics do not intend to match.

If it’s the latter, the Celtics should be careful because his options are running out and he may be forced to accept the QO and they may get stuck with a guy they alienated... who is playing for a contract as an UFA with a NTC. That could end poorly."

Danny has become quite skilled at alienating good players.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #768 on: July 12, 2018, 06:58:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Danny has become quite skilled at alienating good players

What are you talking about for years no one would come here in Free Agency.  Now we are oftend mentioned and talked about.   I call BS on your statement.

« Reply #769 on: July 12, 2018, 07:20:25 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
The rockets are following the same tactic with capella
I guess morey is a fool too

« Reply #770 on: July 12, 2018, 07:24:29 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I just don't understand why this is taking so long. The longer it takes the more likely some teams can move money and make it available to make an offer for Smart (ie. OKC). C'mon Danny get this done and stop dragging it out.

« Reply #771 on: July 12, 2018, 07:33:30 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I just don't understand why this is taking so long. The longer it takes the more likely some teams can move money and make it available to make an offer for Smart (ie. OKC). C'mon Danny get this done and stop dragging it out.

OKC can’t make an offer for Smart.  They are $57 million over the cap.  There is no team aside from Golden State that is less of a threat.

The Celtics are being patient because they don’t think Smart can get he deal he wants from anybody.  Teams aren’t going to create cap room for the sole purpose of signing Smart, either.  If they do, and Smart accepts their offer, the Celtics can match, meaning that team has acquired cap room can no longer use as well with almost all worthy free agents already off the market.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:26:08 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #772 on: July 12, 2018, 07:35:06 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The Marcus Smart situation could be resolved tomorrow. The Celtics could step in with a multi-year deal that suits their restricted free agent guard, or another club could make him an offer that is beyond the current market value. But don’t count on it. Sources indicate this may drag on for quite a while. Smart determined his worth to be more than what is out there in this summer’s market, and the Celts are in no rush to bid against themselves. – via Boston Herald

A source indicated that if nothing gets settled this week, the sides could take a break after Vegas and revisit things later. – via Boston Herald

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #773 on: July 12, 2018, 07:52:54 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

OKC can’t make an offer for Smart.  They are $57 million over the cap.  There is no team aside from Golden State that is less of a threat.

The Celtics are being patient because they don’t think Smart can get he deal he wants from anybody.  Teams aren’t going to create cap room for the sole purpose of signing Smart, either.  If they do, and Smart accepts their offer, the Celtics can match, meaning that team has acquired cap room can no longer use as well with almost all worthy free agents already off the market.

Okay so maybe it's not OKC but how about Brooklyn? or Sacramento? The point is you should try to get this important piece of the team signed without having to match something you don't want to match. I am pretty confident that if we came up a team friendly deal that also made Marcus feel wanted and maybe with a player option at some point that they could get it done. I understand you don't bid against yourself but you should also show some love to your players for their efforts. Does anyone think we would be doing this in a few years when it's time for Jaylen or Jayson? I know it's a different level perhaps but just as important for our team and chemistry. If you know you are going to pay tax then just get it done or be creative to stay just below tax but make the player happy as well.

« Reply #774 on: July 12, 2018, 07:55:24 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
People have spoken in this poll 106 no-18 yes..so we all want smart back but not what he probably asking for..he can be replace plus it would hurt celtics salary cap..sign and trade is what i do
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #775 on: July 12, 2018, 08:04:17 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Smart and his agent are probably scrambling to get anything close to the 4 year/$48 mil the C's offered him last year. The reality is for him not to have signed yet, it means he's still holding out hope that someone will offer more than that. At this point, it doesn't sound like anyone has even come close to that.

The C's are sitting pretty imo. They are not going to get against themselves. They may offer Smart that deal again. They may have pulled that deal after this last season. Smart may just sign the QO. I think the C's win in both of those situations.

« Reply #776 on: July 12, 2018, 08:15:37 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Okay so maybe it's not OKC but how about Brooklyn? or Sacramento? The point is you should try to get this important piece of the team signed without having to match something you don't want to match. I am pretty confident that if we came up a team friendly deal that also made Marcus feel wanted and maybe with a player option at some point that they could get it done. I understand you don't bid against yourself but you should also show some love to your players for their efforts. Does anyone think we would be doing this in a few years when it's time for Jaylen or Jayson? I know it's a different level perhaps but just as important for our team and chemistry. If you know you are going to pay tax then just get it done or be creative to stay just below tax but make the player happy as well.
In all honesty, this is the sort of thinking and visceral reaction that prompts clubs to bid against themselves. I trust Ainge  to never overpay for non-stars.

I want smart back yet I trust ainge to know the market far better than I do.

This may not be resolved soon, so buckle up folks.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #777 on: July 12, 2018, 08:25:48 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Smart and his agent are probably scrambling to get anything close to the 4 year/$48 mil the C's offered him last year. The reality is for him not to have signed yet, it means he's still holding out hope that someone will offer more than that. At this point, it doesn't sound like anyone has even come close to that.

The C's are sitting pretty imo. They are not going to get against themselves. They may offer Smart that deal again. They may have pulled that deal after this last season. Smart may just sign the QO. I think the C's win in both of those situations.

Disagree that if he is forced to sign QO we don't win. It's a lose-lose.

« Reply #778 on: July 12, 2018, 09:19:12 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Disagree that if he is forced to sign QO we don't win. It's a lose-lose.
It really isn't. Cs win big time on that. It's not their fault Smart and his agent misread the market. That's on them. Cs have them an offer last year that no team has come close to offering yet and they turned it down. It's basically the Noel situation all over again.

Cs are letting the market dictate what Smart is really worth. That being said, I do think they will work out a deal.

« Reply #779 on: July 12, 2018, 09:25:40 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
"Winning" a negotiation isn't the most important thing though.

I'd be pretty happy to have Smart on a 10-12 AAV contract. Especially as I think Rozier is going to get far more next season with all the cap space.