Poll

Who is the Biggest Threat to Boston in the East?

Bucks
Sixers
Heat
Cavs
Knicks
Pacers
Other East Team

Author Topic: Who is the Biggest Threat to Boston in the East? (Jan. Edition)  (Read 4384 times)

Re: Who is the Biggest Threat to Boston in the East? (Jan. Edition)
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2024, 10:35:44 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2941
If we’re being honest with ourselves, there’s only one correct answer - ourselves. Barring injuries, there’s just no one in the East that should theoretically beat us in a 7 game series on a talent basis. That said, our over-reliance on the three leading to huge variability, tendency to crap the bed in crunch time scenarios, questionable late-game coaching decisions, etc. all have plagued us at various points the last few years.

As for other teams, I still think it’s narrowly the Bucks, at least in terms of potential. Though it’s questionable whether they’ll ever get there, especially this year with the coaching change.

For the Sixers, I just don’t trust them in the playoffs given their history, as well as Embiid’s foul-baiting gameplan not translating to postseason play.

You can also throw the Heat in there as a consideration post-Rozier trade, but I’d have to see how they play with him first before putting them there.

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2024, 10:59:18 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1380
If we’re being honest with ourselves, there’s only one correct answer - ourselves. Barring injuries, there’s just no one in the East that should theoretically beat us in a 7 game series on a talent basis. That said, our over-reliance on the three leading to huge variability, tendency to crap the bed in crunch time scenarios, questionable late-game coaching decisions, etc. all have plagued us at various points the last few years.

As for other teams, I still think it’s narrowly the Bucks, at least in terms of potential. Though it’s questionable whether they’ll ever get there, especially this year with the coaching change.

For the Sixers, I just don’t trust them in the playoffs given their history, as well as Embiid’s foul-baiting gameplan not translating to postseason play.

You can also throw the Heat in there as a consideration post-Rozier trade, but I’d have to see how they play with him first before putting them there.

I thought you were going to say Joe was the biggest threat to Boston in the East  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2024, 11:08:40 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
The Celtics biggest threat…

Themselves
Actually, the Celtics biggest threat is the field.  They might be the best team, but odds are another team will win the east.  That's just the facts.

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2024, 11:09:36 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002

But they have Nick Nurse now and not Doc Rivers. Huge upgrade at the coaching position.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2024, 11:09:47 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
I voted "Other," because the biggest threat to Boston is ... Boston.

If Boston consistently plays as "the best version of itself," I don't think anyone can beat them in a series. If Boston doesn't win the title this season, it'll be because of a) injuries, or b) the Cs can't get out of their own way, especially in late-game situations.
Well, the odds are that another team will win the title, which you can say about any individual team pretty much every year.

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2024, 11:12:02 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

As much as you believe it, you're actually incorrect.  You pretty much always take the field over any one team, including the celtics this year. 

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2024, 11:16:52 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

As much as you believe it, you're actually incorrect.  You pretty much always take the field over any one team, including the celtics this year.

Perhaps if "the field" was an option on this poll, that would make sense. But since it's not an option and this is talking about a single biggest threat to us, this is a perfectly reasonable answer. Whether based on pure talent, stats (traditional, advanced, or otherwise), or virtually any other measure, there's not a single team - particularly in the East - that should theoretically beat us in a 7 game series.

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2024, 11:18:12 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

I thought you were going to say Joe was the biggest threat to Boston in the East  :laugh:

Don't shortchange me, Oz. He did get his shout out as one of the reasons/ways we may beat ourselves in the comment of "questionable late-game coaching decisions".  ;)

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2024, 01:14:25 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Don't shortchange me, Oz. He did get his shout out as one of the reasons/ways we may beat ourselves in the comment of "questionable late-game coaching decisions".  ;)

You also mentioned over-reliance on threes, so you've got it covered.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2024, 03:40:06 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1380

I'll have to give you that one then...I wasn't sure if you were talking about Joe or Sam Cassell  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2024, 06:22:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552

Perhaps if "the field" was an option on this poll, that would make sense. But since it's not an option and this is talking about a single biggest threat to us, this is a perfectly reasonable answer. Whether based on pure talent, stats (traditional, advanced, or otherwise), or virtually any other measure, there's not a single team - particularly in the East - that should theoretically beat us in a 7 game series.
the Sixers and Bucks will both have the best player in the series. And they are players we don't have the man power to try to even attempt to guard effectively.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2024, 07:28:40 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

the Sixers and Bucks will both have the best player in the series. And they are players we don't have the man power to try to even attempt to guard effectively.

What are you talking about?  Al Horford is probably one of the best defenders of both Giannis and Embiid in the league.  Granted, it’s tough not currently having a secondary player like Grant, but he was also only effective against Giannis.  Embiid dominated him and we still won that series.

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2024, 09:01:55 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

"Other East team" was the field catch-all option in the poll.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2024, 09:19:20 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I think he means "the field" as in all East teams, not just the East teams not specifically included in the poll. If "Other East team" means "any team that isn't the Celtics, including the ones listed separately" then it's a pretty meaningless option
I'm bitter.

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2024, 09:21:15 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think he means "the field" as in all East teams, not just the East teams not specifically included in the poll. If "Other East team" means "any team that isn't the Celtics, including the ones listed separately" then it's a pretty meaningless option

Gotcha.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team