Author Topic: Value comparison of Jaylen and Jayson  (Read 6145 times)

Re: Value comparison of Jaylen and Jayson
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 12:26:22 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
They have there pluses and minuses. I want them both long term. I like to think in terms of impact Brown can hit that Beal level of play and Tatum can hit PG level. Not saying they will but I think it's there. I'm not sure why people would want to move either.

(1) I don't like the balance of Kemba / Jaylen / Tatum / Hayward and think one of those 4 guys should be moved. Too much redundancy / overlap.

(2) I believe Kemba's arrival will adversely effect the development of Jaylen & Tatum. Kemba is a high usage, ball dominant, high shot taker point guard. That takes away opportunities from Tatum & Jaylen.

For the team to become a contender again, they need to trade one of these four guys for someone who provides a different set of skills to better balance this team. Kemba just arrived so he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Hayward's value is low due to the injuries. Tatum and Jaylen are the obvious options -- especially if they do not develop as well / as quickly as hoped due to Kemba's arrival.

I understand the thinking, but to me if not being able to play the three is s concern you trade Hayward. Hayward has the least value because he was bad, and hes about to turn 30. If you dont feel those 4 can play together you dump Hayward even if it costs you a pick. I'm not giving up a young guy too esentually make room for Hayward who may or may not just be bad. The real answer to the question is wait 6 months till the deadline and hope Hayward returns to form enough you dont have to give up assets for him

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2019, 02:09:30 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
1. Don't know. Since conventional wisdom is Tatum is more talented, I'd guess Tatum, but Ainge is capable of contrarian views.

2. Fairly sure its Tatum.

3. Jaylen. I think conventional wisdom is wrong here. Tatum is less athletic, and quickness is his most average athletic trait. He usually plays with less fire, and doesn't seem to improve as quickly.

Tatum has been with a pro trainer since age 13 and has only focused on becoming an NBA player. He came into the NBA with some advanced footwork and a better shot because he's dedicated and always been on the pro track. He hasn't really improved that much since.

Jaylen wasn't that kind of kid, and he was actually a couple of years behind Tatum in his technique development when he got here. He does love the game, though, and has dedicated himself to a solid work ethic as an adult. Since Tatum got here, Jaylen has improved more.

Most importantly, Jaylen has the athletic tools and competitiveness to become an all-NBA player. There are a few All-NBA guys that get it done without above average athleticism and particularly quickness, but it is a much easier path to just be a superior athlete first. Jaylen is a top 10 in the league freak athlete, and while he has significant holes in his game, he still manages to take over games just as often as Tatum does. He has been quite good at raising his game to challenge elite players.

Jaylen still might not get any better, but I wouldn't bet on it. When he has a bad game, it never feels like someone is all over him and he can't get the shots he wants. It just feels like he's making mistakes or missing easy shots.

I expect him to end up with the better career.

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2019, 04:09:28 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I think #2 is obviously Tatum.  The other two, we値l, depend.  If you have the narrow concept that you only want to keep the better player then yeah, it痴 tatum.

But it was only a few short weeks ago that I was very happy to trade Tatum for AD because that痴 what I thought it would take.

So #1 and #3 are more complicated.

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2019, 05:14:31 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
1. Don't know. Since conventional wisdom is Tatum is more talented, I'd guess Tatum, but Ainge is capable of contrarian views.

3. Jaylen. I think conventional wisdom is wrong here. Tatum is less athletic, and quickness is his most average athletic trait. He usually plays with less fire, and doesn't seem to improve as quickly.

Tatum has been with a pro trainer since age 13 and has only focused on becoming an NBA player. He came into the NBA with some advanced footwork and a better shot because he's dedicated and always been on the pro track. He hasn't really improved that much since.

Jaylen wasn't that kind of kid, and he was actually a couple of years behind Tatum in his technique development when he got here. He does love the game, though, and has dedicated himself to a solid work ethic as an adult. Since Tatum got here, Jaylen has improved more.

Most importantly, Jaylen has the athletic tools and competitiveness to become an all-NBA player. There are a few All-NBA guys that get it done without above average athleticism and particularly quickness, but it is a much easier path to just be a superior athlete first. Jaylen is a top 10 in the league freak athlete, and while he has significant holes in his game, he still manages to take over games just as often as Tatum does. He has been quite good at raising his game to challenge elite players.

Jaylen still might not get any better, but I wouldn't bet on it. When he has a bad game, it never feels like someone is all over him and he can't get the shots he wants. It just feels like he's making mistakes or missing easy shots.

I agree with this.

Brown played well in the playoffs offering an illustration of his improvement.

Brown is a fighter, Tatum is not. It is just an observation of Brown's attitude during the on court struggle with opponents.

Brown has been given defensive assignments on pretty much all of the top players in the NBA. This is not saying that Tatum has not. He just isn't the same athlete.

Brown is more likely to attack on offense, Tatum is not...again, style.

As above here, Brown has physical talents not possessed by Tatum.

By the 5th game against the Bucks, numerous posters were concerned that N.O. would require Brown in the AD trade not Tatum.

Tatum is fantastic player and may very well have a higher ceiling than Brown. He is still really young.

Brown is more my style of player so, I lean towards him in the debate.

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2019, 05:26:15 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
I think Tatum is the answer to all 3 questions.  It'll soon become clear show much the Celtics value Jaylen since he can get an extension this offseason.  As of a few days ago he hadn't heard anything about the extension from the Celtics. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 05:37:09 PM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2019, 06:53:19 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
(1) Tatum -- well ahead of Jaylen at this stage

(2) Tatum -- to various degrees. Many teams will have Tatum ahead by a large amount. Some who will have followed the C's closer will have them closer together but Tatum still ahead.

(3) Jaylen -- I can see him playing a key role on a title winning side. Tatum is still a question mark in that regard. Still learning how to play winning basketball (shot selection, decision making, inconsistent effort on defense, doesn't like physical play).

I agree with all that "still learning" caveat. I keep reminding myself how young he is, to give it time, but last year was a pretty big disappointment for me.

I don't quite understand that sentiment.   I mean, I guess if you focus too much on the first 4 weeks of the season, when Jaylen played just awful (and ignore that he had an injured hand) then I guess that makes sense.

But from the latter part of November onward, Jaylen actually played very consistently well all the way through the playoffs.   I found that to be the opposite of disappointing.

His monthly scoring efficiency splits pretty much tell the story:

Month     TS%
Oct      .451
Nov      .477
Dec      .580
Jan      .589
Feb      .523
Mar      .592
Apr      .592
Playoffs .624

There were plenty of reasons to be disappointed in this last season, but I don't personally have Jaylen's performance included in that.   While his initial start was so bad that it resulted in his overall season averages to be sort of "meh", when you break it down over time, he actually played extremely well for most of the season and was one of our more consistent players, especially down the stretch and into the playoffs.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2019, 07:13:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think the biggest questions with Jaylen as far as his overall value long term are:

(1) Can he ever add playmaking, rebounding, or truly disruptive defense (steals, blocks, etc) to his production?

(2) Can he generate more free throws and improve as a free throw shooter?

Jaylen is already a nice two way player.  We've got a large enough sample to conclude that he's a plus defender and that he's a solid outside shooter.

To become more than just a nice two way player, though, he'll have to either add some additional dimensions to his game, or he'll have to become a really efficient scorer by getting to the line a lot more.

Basically, I think the two "star" paths for Jaylen involve either (a) he becomes Andre Iguodala style wing defender / playmaker or (b) he becomes a Jimmy Butler style power wing scorer

It's easier to project Tatum to stardom because all he really has to do is increase his usage rate without sacrificing his current level of efficiency.  I would say that he's already shown that he has the moves, the coordination, and the endurance to do that. 

Of course, it would be great if he became a more impactful defender, got to the line a lot more, became a better playmaker, or made more of an impact on the boards. 

But even if he doesn't, if he can score 20-25 points per game with well over 55% TS and about 30-33% of his shots coming from deep, at his size he'll still be really valuable even without much extra.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2019, 07:54:35 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
(2) I believe Kemba's arrival will adversely effect the development of Jaylen & Tatum. Kemba is a high usage, ball dominant, high shot taker point guard. That takes away opportunities from Tatum & Jaylen.

For the team to become a contender again, they need to trade one of these four guys for someone who provides a different set of skills to better balance this team. Kemba just arrived so he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Hayward's value is low due to the injuries. Tatum and Jaylen are the obvious options -- especially if they do not develop as well / as quickly as hoped due to Kemba's arrival.

I'm not so worried.   

I feel people worrying because Kemba and Kyrie are such similar players in terms of play style - but the reason I don't worry is that athough their play styles ARE very similar, their attitudes and situations are extremely different.

Kyrie has an ego the size of a planet, he's won a championship and made multiple finals trips, and he could have continued with that In Cleveland if he stayed - but it wasn't enough for me.  He didn't want to be #2 banana behind Lebron, he wanted to have the spotlight and prove he is a star in his own right.  Ultimately what this translates to is this - he valued personal success and legacy over winning.  Kyrie first, team second. 

By comparison, when it comes to star players in the NBA Kemba's ego is about as small as they get.  He's spent years being the #1 guy on bad teams.  He's had plenty of time to get his numbers and prove himself individually.  He coudl have stayed in Charlotte and continued putting up big numbers on bad teams if that was important to him - but it isn't.  He wants to win.  He values winning and team success over his own personal portfolio.  Team first, Kemba second.

That's the first key difference, and it's a huge one, because there is plenty of reason to be confident that Kemba is the type of person who (like the big 3 did when they came together) will be willing to sacrifice his personal numbers / touches if it helps the team become more successful as a unit. 

The second difference is situation. 

Kyrie has always been the player he was last year - the ball dominant, ISO heavy, shoot first guy.  He was that guy at the start of his career when he was the #1 in Cleveland.  He was that guy when he played on those stacked Cleveland / Lebron teams.  He was that guy when he came over to Boston.  No matter where he goes or how stacked his rosters are, he still plays the same ball dominant style.

Kemba by comparison has only ever played for Charlotte, and he has honestly never really played on a GOOD team.  He played on a couple that were moderately competitive, but for the most part the teams he has played for have been garbage.  I think the next best players he's had around him were an old Dwight Howard and Nic Batum.  He's played an ISO heavy brand of basketball but he hasn't really had much choice - his teams have been so void of talent that they have NEEDED him  to carry all the scoring load.  We haven't really seen him on a stacked team, and it's hard to see how much he may be capable of adjusting his game  - he may well become a far more efficient scorer, and he may also be willing to step into a more traditional PG role now that he has a host of offensive talent around him. 

So I remain confident.  Kemba seems like a good locker-room guy and a good leader.  If he sees that young guys are struggling to grow because he has the ball in his hands too often, he seems like the type who would be wiling to make adjustments to help his teammates flourish.

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2019, 07:59:32 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
They gate sort of fire and ice imo. They have contrasting styles of play and personalities. Personally, I love Brown. Truly think he has a higher ceiling than Tatum because of his athleticism where he has a significant advantage over Tatum. And for the most part, I though Brown has a much better year than Tatum last season (all things considered with the mess that last year was).

Tatum is the more we値l rounded offensive game. Brown is the better overall two way player with the potential to be a good offensive player as well.

I知 in the keep both category. This year will be a very important year for both.

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2019, 08:10:18 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Tatum is a unique player who can score in a variety of ways.  Brown is like a Scottie Pippen because he is often overlooked but does the dirty work.  Keep both, build around them and they will lead us to championshipS.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2019, 09:06:39 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
Genuinely interested to hear people's thoughts on 3 inter related questions:

1) which one do Celtics brass want to keep long-term?

2) which is valued more around the league?

3) who do you want to keep long-term?

My answer is Tatum to all three, but a mile.  Here's my evaluation:

Brown
Brown is primarily an athletic slashing wing.  He has show flashes of being able to do multiple things at an above average level, but y concern is that he hasn't shown many flashes of elite skill, and he's also been riddled with inconsistency. 

1. Defense
Brown made his mark in the NBA early by playing tough defense, and in his first / second year he was impessive on that end.  I would normally list this as a major strength of his, if not for the fact that least year he completely turned things around and looked totally lost on the defensive end for most of the season.  And his defensive stats reflected that, with him consistently rating near the bottom of the team in advanced defensive stats.  This is one area of the game where Brown MAY have potential to become special, but for me to really belive that he'll need to be a lot better defensively this coming season then he was last season.

2. Slashing
The other trademark talent Brown has his his slashing ability - his ability to explode to the basket, get in the paint and draw fouls was pretty impressive in his first and second seasons, when he managed a pretty impressive 29% free throw rate.  However that dropped to 25% last season (which is decent, but nothing special), and he was noticeably less effective getting to the basket and drawing fouls - something the entire Celtics team struggled with.  I see this as Jaylen's potential second elite talent, but am a little put off by the fact he regressed at this last year (just as he did with his defense). 

3. Other Talents
Can Brown shoot?  Yeah.  He's has proven he is capable and dependable enough as a shooter.  But averages of 34%, 39% and 34% don't jump out at me and suggest "future 3 point champion" by any means.  His free throw percentages of 69%, 64% and 66% also don't instill huge confidence in Browns potential as a shooter - he certainly doesn't look like he'll be the next Klay Thompson. 

What about shot creation? Mmm...yeah he can occasionally create his own shot.  He has SOME success making fadeaway midrange jumpers in post up situations. But it's not really a shot he successful enough with to use as a go-to move or anything like that.  For the most part he's scoring in transition,  making spot up jumpers, or putting his head down and driving hard to the basket - if you clog up the lane his ability to get points becomes pretty limited. 

What about the other bits, like passing, dribbling and rebounding?  Honestly he's not really shown much as a passer/playmaker.  His ball handling skills are pretty limited (think: Jeff Green) and is IMHO the biggest thing limiting his ability to play the SG spot effectively.  His rebounding numbers have been consistently solid for a SF, at just under 6 rebounds per 36 throughout his career, but they aren't standout by any means.  Tatum has shown slightly more potential as a rebounder, averaging 7 rebounds per 36 last season.         

4. Conclusion
Ultimately brown is an athletic slashing wing who is also a capable defender, and can make spot up threes with consistency.  That's a really nice player to have, and the type of player teams are always chasing - but truth be told it's not an especially rare commodity.  He's shown flashes of potential greatenst as a slasher and defender, and if he realises that potential I can see him developing in to a very nice player. 

As an ABSOLUTE best case there is a chance he could develop in to a Jimmy Butler caliber player, but I don't expect that.  Jimmy Butler is a pretty special case of a guy who got where he did because he had Kobe-like dedication and work ethic, and while Jaylen is certainly known for being hard working guy, jimmy Butler's level of drive and competitiveness is just on a whole other level. 

On the other end of the scale it's also possible he could become a Jeff Green type player - a elite athlete with very impressive physical gifts, who was just never really capable of translating those into high level NBA skills.

I think the more likely is somewhere in the middle - a Gerald Wallace / Andre Iguodala / Trevor Ariza type player.  These are guys who maybe might make one all-star game or two in their careers, or could just as easily not make any.  They are the he type of player you want to have because they can difference makers on a championship team - but they aren't the type of player you build a franchise around. 

Tatum
Tatum is a special and rare talent for a few reasons. 

1 - Defence
Over his first two seasons Tatum has been a CONSISTENT net positive defender.  It's very rare for any rookie (let along a 19 year old) to come in to the NBA and to be a consistent net positive defender for his team over his rookie and sophomore seasons.  This early success combined with Tatum's physical measurements (his height, length, reach and build are comparable to a young Paul George) indicate that Tatum may well have All-defensive team potential once he matures, learns the game a little better, and bulks up a bit.

2 - Shot Creation 
Even as a rookie, Tatum showed flashes of also shown flashes of having elite shot-creation ability.  He has the mid-range game, can hit the fade-away jumper, has a host of post move, is an excellent finisher around the basket in traffic, has the ball handling skills to create separation and has the length and body control to get his shot off over just about anybody.  This is crucial, because the ability to create offense is often what separates a really good player from a true superstar.  The special thing about a super is the ability for you to put the ball in their hands at the end of a game and and say "get me a bucket- make something happen".  Tatum has that natural born ability. 

3 - Shooting ability
In today's NBA the three point shot is a huge weapon, and if you want to become a star then having a deadly three point shot is a bit help in getting you there.  Jayson Tatum shot 43% from three in his rookie year and 37% from three in his second year - a total of 40% 3PT shooting over his first two seasons.  For a 19/20 year old kid to shoot THAT well from range against NBA defense is extremely promising, and shows he has a ton of potential as a shooter.  To add to this, free throw shooting ability has always been seen as a great predictor of a players potential as a shooter - Tatum shot 83% as a rookie and just under 86% in his second year (84% for his career so far).   Looking at his combined shooting from three and from the line so far, Jayson Tatum clearly has the potential to become an EXCELLENT shooter. 

4. Conclusion
Now lets say all three these skills pan out, for argument's sake.  Try to imagine a 6'8" - 6'9" player who the defensive ability of Paul George, the shot creating ability of a prime Carmello Anthony, and the shooting ability of Kevin Durant (who actually shot worse then Tatum early on).  That's a potential MVP candidate there. 

Even if Tatum only became "very good" at all three of those talents (which it seems more likely then not that he will), that's still enough to make him a perennial All-Star. 

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:18:08 PM by Muzzy66 »

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2019, 09:06:44 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
They have there pluses and minuses. I want them both long term. I like to think in terms of impact Brown can hit that Beal level of play and Tatum can hit PG level. Not saying they will but I think it's there. I'm not sure why people would want to move either.

(1) I don't like the balance of Kemba / Jaylen / Tatum / Hayward and think one of those 4 guys should be moved. Too much redundancy / overlap.

This is partly why I wanted to sign Blake Griffin, not Hayward.  I still think it could work though against certain matchups, and you can stagger the minutes after the start of the game.  It would be nice if Tatum added some muscle to his game to handle PF more, but my guess Hayward will play there.  Walker doesn稚 have the strong personality of Irving so I think it will blend better.  Plus this is BIG, Walker wanted to come here to play with these guys so he knows what he is getting into while Irving was traded here. 

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2019, 10:08:58 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Genuinely interested to hear people's thoughts on 3 inter related questions:

1) which one do Celtics brass want to keep long-term?

2) which is valued more around the league?

3) who do you want to keep long-term?

Fortunately you can keep both. They have complementary skillsets.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I知 definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2019, 10:50:06 PM »

Offline chiken

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
Tatum for all 3 but in this league it takes 2... We have 2. We should do our best to keep them both.. 

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2019, 01:38:32 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

I agree with this.

Brown played well in the playoffs offering an illustration of his improvement.

Brown is a fighter, Tatum is not. It is just an observation of Brown's attitude during the on court struggle with opponents.

Brown has been given defensive assignments on pretty much all of the top players in the NBA. This is not saying that Tatum has not. He just isn't the same athlete.

Brown is more likely to attack on offense, Tatum is not...again, style.

As above here, Brown has physical talents not possessed by Tatum.

By the 5th game against the Bucks, numerous posters were concerned that N.O. would require Brown in the AD trade not Tatum.

Tatum is fantastic player and may very well have a higher ceiling than Brown. He is still really young.

Brown is more my style of player so, I lean towards him in the debate.
One slowly jogging back on D and got pushed by his own teammates to tell him play harder, one dunked on Lebron in ECF G7 when another completely disappear

You may want to think again

It's all Tatum and it's not close