Author Topic: Value comparison of Jaylen and Jayson  (Read 6116 times)

Value comparison of Jaylen and Jayson
« on: July 18, 2019, 11:15:40 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Genuinely interested to hear people's thoughts on 3 inter related questions:

1) which one do Celtics brass want to keep long-term?

2) which is valued more around the league?

3) who do you want to keep long-term?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Re: Value comparison of Jaylen and Jayson
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 11:23:52 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Tatum, Tatum, Tatum.

The league revolves around players who can operate as a legitimate lead scoring option without sinking the team on the other end.  Tatum has the chops to fill that role.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 11:34:46 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Genuinely interested to hear people's thoughts on 3 inter related questions:

1) which one do Celtics brass want to keep long-term?

2) which is valued more around the league?

3) who do you want to keep long-term?

Tatum is the clear answer, as he has the potential to become a truly elite scorer in the NBA.  It's incredibly difficult to find players who can close games against elite competition.  Tatum obviously has a long ways to go but the talent is clearly there.

I don't believe Brown is too far behind.  Many of us still believe that he has the potential to become a Jimmy Butler caliber two-way player.  The idea of moving forward with Tatum and Brown is so appealing because their games could complement each other perfectly. 

The contract situation could alter the equation with Brown, but I ignored this in my answers.

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 11:39:37 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Tatum

Tatum

Tatum
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 11:41:23 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Tatum is the answer to all 3 and it’s not close. He has the makings of a franchise player and I can see him becoming our best player in a few years.

- LilRip

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 11:42:35 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
at this point, it'd be Tatum to all 3 questions but if Jaylen continues to grow from where he left off last year and the playoffs and Tatum stagnates or regresses again, the answer is flipped.  I like having both of them on the team.  different players with different skills and both look to become terrific players during their careers.

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 11:43:13 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
They have there pluses and minuses. I want them both long term. I like to think in terms of impact Brown can hit that Beal level of play and Tatum can hit PG level. Not saying they will but I think it's there. I'm not sure why people would want to move either.

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 11:43:26 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
at this point, it'd be Tatum to all 3 questions but if Jaylen continues to grow from where he left off last year and the playoffs and Tatum stagnates or regresses again, the answer is flipped.  I like having both of them on the team.  different players with different skills and both look to become terrific players during their careers.
^this.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 11:52:33 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
They have there pluses and minuses. I want them both long term. I like to think in terms of impact Brown can hit that Beal level of play and Tatum can hit PG level. Not saying they will but I think it's there. I'm not sure why people would want to move either.

This made me think and I like those comps, but I would switch them. I feel like Tatum is Beal in a 6'9 frame without great passing, and Brown's ceiling would be a PG type player in a 6'7 frame instead of 6'9.
#JKJB

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 11:59:38 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

This made me think and I like those comps, but I would switch them. I feel like Tatum is Beal in a 6'9 frame without great passing, and Brown's ceiling would be a PG type player in a 6'7 frame instead of 6'9.

You are right about their game styles didnt think of that in the comp. I said impact because I think +/- , vorp, ws and other advanced metrics that the two players can potentially hit are that of PG and Beal. I looked at ages and advanced numbers at the same points in careers and then thought if either looked peaked. It's a promising duo.

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 11:59:42 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

(1) I don't like the balance of Kemba / Jaylen / Tatum / Hayward and think one of those 4 guys should be moved. Too much redundancy / overlap.

(2) I believe Kemba's arrival will adversely effect the development of Jaylen & Tatum. Kemba is a high usage, ball dominant, high shot taker point guard. That takes away opportunities from Tatum & Jaylen.

For the team to become a contender again, they need to trade one of these four guys for someone who provides a different set of skills to better balance this team. Kemba just arrived so he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Hayward's value is low due to the injuries. Tatum and Jaylen are the obvious options -- especially if they do not develop as well / as quickly as hoped due to Kemba's arrival.

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 12:02:30 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
(1) Tatum -- well ahead of Jaylen at this stage

(2) Tatum -- to various degrees. Many teams will have Tatum ahead by a large amount. Some who will have followed the C's closer will have them closer together but Tatum still ahead.

(3) Jaylen -- I can see him playing a key role on a title winning side. Tatum is still a question mark in that regard. Still learning how to play winning basketball (shot selection, decision making, inconsistent effort on defense, doesn't like physical play).

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 12:04:29 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I want them both to stay long term.  Don't make me choose.

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 12:12:00 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
(1) Tatum -- well ahead of Jaylen at this stage

(2) Tatum -- to various degrees. Many teams will have Tatum ahead by a large amount. Some who will have followed the C's closer will have them closer together but Tatum still ahead.

(3) Jaylen -- I can see him playing a key role on a title winning side. Tatum is still a question mark in that regard. Still learning how to play winning basketball (shot selection, decision making, inconsistent effort on defense, doesn't like physical play).

I agree with all that "still learning" caveat. I keep reminding myself how young he is, to give it time, but last year was a pretty big disappointment for me.

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 12:17:47 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

(1) I don't like the balance of Kemba / Jaylen / Tatum / Hayward and think one of those 4 guys should be moved. Too much redundancy / overlap.

(2) I believe Kemba's arrival will adversely effect the development of Jaylen & Tatum. Kemba is a high usage, ball dominant, high shot taker point guard. That takes away opportunities from Tatum & Jaylen.

For the team to become a contender again, they need to trade one of these four guys for someone who provides a different set of skills to better balance this team. Kemba just arrived so he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Hayward's value is low due to the injuries. Tatum and Jaylen are the obvious options -- especially if they do not develop as well / as quickly as hoped due to Kemba's arrival.
Can't disagree, those are all possible.

I'll just say (tongue in cheek) We do know DA has acquired a Walker before and traded him pretty quickly in the past.