Author Topic: Kevin Pelton said he heard ...  (Read 2231 times)

Kevin Pelton said he heard ...
« on: July 18, 2019, 08:52:11 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Kevin Pelton said he heard that James Harden had requested a trade if Chris Paul was not traded before the season. He said this on a recent NBA ringer podcast.

Some people on here noticed that it seemed like the Celtics signed rookies right after the Westbrook trade, as if Ainge was holding onto them unsigned so he could trade their draft rights. Some thought that meant the Cs were after Westbrook.

What if they weren't after Westbrook, but after James Harden?

The Westbrook trade never really made sense to me, especially given that we just signed a point guard. On top of that, trading Hayward (the only way to make salaries match) with young pieces seemed like an awkward fit with our timeline, CBS system, etc. Westbrook also seems like a player who is a tier below the upper echelon, which means it didn't make sense to go all-in for him.

But what if Ainge was after Harden?

A trade package of Hayward, Brown (or Tatum), Langford, and oodles of draft picks probably was Ainge's deal.

Walker-Harden-Tatum-Williams-Williams with Kanter-Theis-Poirier-Edwards-Ojeleye-Wanamaker might have contended.

I'm sure Ainge is monitoring the situation in Houston closely. If they struggle, Westbrook probably gets flipped to Miami. But then is Harden gonna be happy not competing for championships? Would he request a trade?

Re: Kevin Pelton said he heard ...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 08:54:46 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
That's an interesting thought, it certainly could have been! It depends on how aggressive Harden was in pushing the issue. Morey is certainly the type to line up contingencies.

I think its more likely we would have been a facilitator for a different Westbrook trade destination. But a mega offer for an unhappy harden would certainly be something Ainge would try.

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 09:10:18 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Thank goodness Houston was able to trade Paul for Westbrook. As someone who loves the game and the Celtics, I wouldn’t want to see Harden in green. I find him to be virtually unwatchable and hate how easily he gives up.

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 09:16:41 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
To be clear, I'm in the continuity camp. I'd rather keep Hayward, Brown, Tatum, and Walker moving forward and focus on internal development.

I agree that Ainge not signing the rookies was a smoking gun. I just think it makes more sense that he was after Harden not Westbrook.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:23:53 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 09:19:01 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Thank goodness Houston was able to trade Paul for Westbrook. As someone who loves the game and the Celtics, I wouldn’t want to see Harden in green. I find him to be virtually unwatchable and hate how easily he gives up.

Not a fan of his game under Dantoni but that's how that style of offense is run. This is why he's considered a regular season wiz and post season flop.

I blame Dantoni for this monster more than Harden. Maybe I'm wrong.
ok fine

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 09:33:54 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
It would have involved Hayward to make a deal work, so Hayward and this years draft picks for Harden?

Yup.

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 09:40:32 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Thanks for the rumor - love the gossip!!!  I for one am sure glad we didn't go for Westbrook or Harden.  I'm glad Cryee the Ballhog is gone and sure as heck don't want to replace him with another bigger ballhog like those 2.

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 11:44:47 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I detest watching Houston play. Harden's style of play is unwatchable, imo. Would hate to see him in green.

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 12:41:10 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Lol what's with the clickbait title?!  ;)

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 01:06:40 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
It would have involved Hayward to make a deal work, so Hayward and this years draft picks for Harden?

Yup.

I am pretty sure it'd have to be a lot more than that.  I'm guessing also Jaylen and multiple draft picks too.  Not saying I want this to happen, just that Morey would rightfully be able to get a lot for Harden

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 02:47:37 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Thanks for the rumor - love the gossip!!!  I for one am sure glad we didn't go for Westbrook or Harden.  I'm glad Cryee the Ballhog is gone and sure as heck don't want to replace him with another bigger ballhog like those 2.

Pretty sure I'd like to see Harden in green.