Author Topic: Celtics tried to work out S&Ts for Kyrie and Horford, teams wanted more picks  (Read 3159 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
wonder if kyrie for russell was in the works but ainge didn't want to cash in one of the picks (Memphis?) he has. Same for Al Horford in exchange for Jimmy Butler possibly?

https://mobile.twitter.com/gwashburnglobe/status/1151550341277724672
The #Celtics tried to work out sign-and-trade deals with the #76ers and #Nets for Al Horford and Kyrie Irving, respectively but both teams wanted more draft pick compensation to the #Celtics' liking.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 11:49:28 PM by CelticsElite »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It would have been Kyrie or Horford for Kemba in a multi-team transaction, allowing us to operate above the cap.

I heard we only offered second rounders, while Brooklyn asked for the Memphis pick.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 06:09:49 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
It would have been Kids yrie or Horford for Kemba in a multi-team transaction, allowing us to operate above the cap.

I heard we only offered second rounders, while Brooklyn asked for the Memphis pick.

They just want payback for that 2013 trade.

But the Nets are pretty good now with Durant and Irving. What a fast recovery after that sting operation. Could be the team to beat in the East in 2020-2021

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm 100% in the belief 76ers tipped Grizzlies on who DA was taking

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

Are you talking about the Clarke pick? If Danny wanted him, he had ample opportunity to make the selection.

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
If we could have gotten it done for the newly acquired Bucks 1st rounder I think sacrificing that would have been worth it for the flexibility of staying over the cap.  But Brooklyn and Philly both have competitive reasons as well as axes to grind from prior trades that would motivate them to ask for completely unreasonable returns in order to help the Celtics in a S&T.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
How would the 76ers know? If DA just told them that's the Celtics own fault.

If the C's really cared between Williams and Clarke they shouldn't have traded down two spots, they should have just taken their guy.

I'm betting they had Clarke and Williams as equal on their draft board, so they picked up the Carson Edwards pick by ransoming Thybulle.

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
It would have been Kids yrie or Horford for Kemba in a multi-team transaction, allowing us to operate above the cap.

But the Nets are pretty good now with Durant and Irving. What a fast recovery after that sting operation. Could be the team to beat in the East in 2020-2021
The downside for the Nets is Durant is out for a year and may never be the same. That gives Kyrie enough time to make everyone on that roster hate him. The media will be all over him if the Nets stumble out of the gate.

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

The downside for the Nets is Durant is out for a year and may never be the same. That gives Kyrie enough time to make everyone on that roster hate him. The media will be all over him if the Nets stumble out of the gate.

I don't see the Nets struggling out of the gate.  Kyrie is in a similar position to his first season in Boston.  The supporting cast will stick to their roles and defer to Irving in close games.  Without friction from teammates, I have no reason to believe that Irving will fail in the early going.  He's not facing the pressure of title expectations in year 1. 

The playoffs could be a different story depending on match-ups.  The Nets will get a free pass if they lose to a team like Philly or Milwaukee in the first round.  On the flip side, a series against the Celtics would be the lead story in the entire NBA.  I could see Irving losing his composure if they struggled against us in a 7 game series.

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I don't see the Nets struggling out of the gate.  Kyrie is in a similar position to his first season in Boston.  The supporting cast will stick to their roles and defer to Irving in close games.  Without friction from teammates, I have no reason to believe that Irving will fail in the early going.  He's not facing the pressure of title expectations in year 1. 

The playoffs could be a different story depending on match-ups.  The Nets will get a free pass if they lose to a team like Philly or Milwaukee in the first round.  On the flip side, a series against the Celtics would be the lead story in the entire NBA.  I could see Irving losing his composure if they struggled against us in a 7 game series.

Above all else, I sincerely hope for a Nets-Celtics matchup in the playoffs. Would love to send Kyrie fishing, or whatever “enlightening” stuff he does in the offseason.
CELTICS 2024

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Nets Cetics series will be a bad blood payback

Problem the nets have most of the bad blood is Kyries doing ,  the rest of the guys were not involved in Kyries " no mas  " finals debacle

Kryie might score 50 , but it won't be enough .

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Are you talking about the Clarke pick? If Danny wanted him, he had ample opportunity to make the selection.
Yes Clarke, there was one report that when DA moved down he was going to take Clarke then Grizz moved up ahead. If that move doesn't happen DA gets Clarke instead of GW.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

If the C's really cared between Williams and Clarke they shouldn't have traded down two spots, they should have just taken their guy.

I'm betting they had Clarke and Williams as equal on their draft board, so they picked up the Carson Edwards pick by ransoming Thybulle.
76ers would know because they have to make the selection of the pick. Plus there was a report Clarke was going to be the pick till Grizz moved up.

The trade was a great move just Grizz ruined it or 76ers depending on if you think 76ers snitched.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

76ers would know because they have to make the selection of the pick. Plus there was a report Clarke was going to be the pick till Grizz moved up.

The trade was a great move just Grizz ruined it or 76ers depending on if you think 76ers snitched.
You don't tell them the pick till they are on the clock!

If he told the 76ers earlier than that then he deserves to get sniped. I mean he just sniped the 76ers draft pick!

Most teams have a good idea before hand from agents and workouts fwiw.